FAO our "fans"

12 minutes ago, ANDY said:

I'll stick my two pennoth in. 

I agree with everything in the OP. 

Some "fans" seem to thin we have the divine right to beat every team by a minimum 2 goal margin and perform like Barca or Resl Madrid. 

Talk about living in cloud cuckoo land. 

Were playing in the most competitive league in the world. I'll say that again. The most competitive league in the world. Anyone can beat anyone in this league. Half the championship is capable of getting into the play offs. The other half fighting to avoid relegation. 

The margin between success and failure astronomical. And before anyone says relegation from the prem is worse then think again. They get a £90m war chest to assist them getting straight back up. 

Sometimes, like last night v Wigan the result far far outweighs the performance. I'd take a scrappy 1-0 victory for the remainder of the season if it meant promotion. 

There are no shoo ins ins in this league for 3 points. Every match is going to be hard fought. 

Do to all the nay sayers and doom mongers I say crawl back under your stone. I'm happy we got 3 points last night. 

Oh the old Real Madrid one liner

Do you know anyone that thinks that ? 

What difference does someone having a 90 m war chest have to do with our gaffer not getting the best out of what he's got ?

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Interesting to note that a fair few of the responses are from people who only have an opinion when we either lose or play poorly. 

Not going to sit here and pretend that last night's performance wasn't dull as dishwater - but we got the win and we move on. I'd love to see us playing some more expansive, attacking football, but I sure as hell am not going to sit here and call for the manager's head before a ball is even kicked. 

Last night we had some of our fans literally losing their minds before we'd even kicked a ball. 

"Why is Morgan Fox not playing (he was injured" 

"Carlos will be getting his P45 soon" 

The above is paraphrasing but it's a pretty fair reflection of a lot of the responses when the team was announced. 

Needless to say we win the game and the most popular threads are ones about how we were rubbish and Carlos hasn't got a clue etc., 

As I said in my original post (which was conveniently missed by a select few): I have my doubts about this season. I'm not sure whether we are playing well enough to get promoted and wish we'd at times play a bit more expansive, less passive. However, I think Carlos deserves some respect for the excellent job he did last season and the fact that, despite a number of indifferent displays, we are (as things stand) in the play offs again. 

Must say I asked why Morgan Fox wasn't playing , I was told he was injured which sort of answered it for me .

in future though I'll put the radio to find out, lesson learned 

Edited by the monk

Just now, the monk said:

Must say I asked why Morgan Fox wasn't playing , I was told he was injured which sort of sneered it for me .

in future though I'll put the radio to find out, lesson learned 

You do that. 

The instant assumption (by some) was that CC was going mental and dropping players entirely from the squad for the sake of it. 

Just now, SiJ said:

You do that. 

The instant assumption (by some) was that CC was going mental and dropping players entirely from the squad for the sake of it. 

He totally does that though.

McGugan and Matthias without even thinking.

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

Well done. 

You managed to ignore everything i posted in the original post. 

Keep up the good work. 

What is the going rate for being a full weight bellend?

I should start applying. 

Could make a fortune. 

I'd give it up mate.

It's becoming a losing battle on here.

The level of hysteria & total negativity is beyond belief.

You used the phrase 'constructive criticism'. What is served up on here is mindless abuse and over the top hysteria.

Pathetic.

Just put on another thread before i'd seen yours, the comparison between the Wigan fans and ours last night.

Think it's getting to the point where we drop this idea that we have (with obvious exceptions) the "Best fans in the country", and alter it to "The best fans in the country when we are playing well". Which doesn't qualify them for being good fans at all!

Edited by bigthinrob

Just now, SiJ said:

You mean in the top 6 (as things stand)? 

Don't get me wrong we're a million miles from where we were just a few years ago and I'm loving the fact we're challenging at the top rather than being in a relegation battle.

BUT I feel Carlos has become stale and for some reason lost the ability to go and take a game by the 'scruff of the neck' like last season.

I think we need new blood to get us to the next level.

1 hour ago, Lord Nilsson said:

What gets me is that there seems to be a competition to see who can be the most aggressive with their comments. 'WTF was that' 'Dogs**t performance' 'Disgrace' all used. That's relevant when we lose 8-0.

When we win on here it's like a library.

Aggressive comments yet like a library ? 

Just now, bigthinrob said:

I'd give it up mate.

You used the phrase 'constructive criticism'. What is served up on here is mindless abuse and over the top hysteria.

Pathetic.

Just put on another thread before i'd seen yours, the comparison between the Wigan fans and ours last night.

Think it's getting to the point where we drop this idea that we have (with obvious exceptions) the "Best fans in the country", and alter it to "The best fans in the country when we are playing well".

I know. 

Appreciate my opening salvo isn't going to sway some people from their endless negativity. 

I can't sit here and say the football is pleasing on the eye (I've watched 20 odd games of it now), but I respect the guy in charge and we still remain in contention. 

Just think certain fans have come down with a sense of entitlement and a spoiled brat mentality. 

1 minute ago, horny owl said:

Don't get me wrong we're a million miles from where we were just a few years ago and I'm loving the fact we're challenging at the top rather than being in a relegation battle.

BUT I feel Carlos has become stale and for some reason lost the ability to go and take a game by the 'scruff of the neck' like last season.

I think we need new blood to get us to the next level.

Perhaps you're right. 

Time will tell. 

For me there are quite a few of the players who need to step it up a few gears. Think some of them have become complacent and too willing to take the safe option. I appreciate that's partly what Carlos is paid for, but the players sometimes have to show a bit of initiative. 

14 minutes ago, Cersei said:

He totally does that though.

McGugan and Matthias without even thinking.

1 who refused to play in a certain role & 1 whose always injured???

Carlos is totally right if I asked somebody to do a role in my Sunday Morning team and they refused id roger em off also as its about what's best for the team not individual players and the other played most of pre-season but got injured.

Bet most people asking why Fox wasn't starting actually haven't seen him play for Wednesday anyway lol

Well first of all, the OP knows exactly why many supporters are unhappy so his statement is pure wind-up. This is a chat-line for people to express their views.

There are some on here who actually like to watch good football - it is not simply about winning. The best football I have seen Wednesday play has been in the early 1960s and the early 1990s. I remember the 'glory' days of big Jack and also Howard in the early 1980s where there was some very long ball stuff which was not good to watch but possibly almost as interesting as this season's stuff. Last season started getting close with attacking football and excitement and a very near miss at Wembley. This season, with significantly enhanced resources, has been very disappointing. Not because of how many points we have  or where we are compared with last season but because of the type of football we are playing. In fact, if football had been played like this from the start, it would never have become a spectator sport. 

If it is true that we were being found out last season then it is also true we needed to have more than a single style of play this season. The passing around the back and the slow build-up is a great tactic to have in our kit bag. But we should be mixing this with attacking football which we seem to have been almost abandoned. I have not seen a match yet this season which I have really enjoyed, including those we have won - Newcastle on Boxing Day was possibly the exception. We now have a squad which would be the envy of many of our past managers and is the envy of many other Championship teams. Last night was boring and dire like many of our other matches this season and Jordan Rhodes will not shine unless he gets the service he needs. Yes, we have a strong squad, yes we got 3 points, yes we are in 6th place and if that is all you are interested in, then enjoy your simple pleasures. But we were extra-ordinarily lucky to get the three points with only one shot on goal(actually not on goal but deflected). The style of play and a lack of passion from most of the players suggests something is not right and it needs sorting. If we did manage to get to the PL this season, we would not survive unless there is a change and quick.

This is why there is so much unhappiness. I hope Carlos can and will sort it but he has to change what is happening (and my season ticket runs to May 2019 so I have committed to carrying on supporting).

18 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I'd give it up mate.

Pathetic.

Think it's getting to the point where we drop this idea that we have (with obvious exceptions) the "Best fans in the country", and alter it to "The best fans in the country when we are playing well". Which doesn't qualify them for being good fans at all!

Seems to me that there's a bit of positive as well as negative hysteria. Taking out the extremes in terms of negativity there is a growing number that merely think we're playing drab, negative and quite frankly unentertaining football, and worse yet, consistently this season. Many of the same feel, as I do, that we'd be more successful too if we played with a bit more flair that surely the quality of players at CC's disposal should make possible. Last night's performance was more the norm than the exception unfortunately.  I don't think its unreasonable to express criticism of this on here.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

The thing about football is that  most of it is a murky shade of grey.

But football fans only see thing black or white.

It's either good or shyte.

I had concerns before the season. 

I was concerned in the summer that we didn't address the full back positions and that we didn't get another centre half in. 

I had a feeling in my belly that Reach's signing would mean Fernando only being considered a striker. 

I was surprised at the signing of Fletcher. 

But it all  happened.

Non of our business was what I'd have done, but it's what we did do. 

Clearly the coaching team are wanting to do things a bit differently to last season. That's their choice until they ser told otherwise.

We've played well and lost....played bad and won. That's the nature of the game. It won't be the first time and certainly won't be the last. 

As a group of people were either on top of the world...or the world is ending.  We don't seem to accept middle ground. 

I know a Newcastle fan who is still saying "If only Keegan had tightened things up up a bit on the run in". 

It's 20 years ago but its still grating him. But that's football.

If they had tightened things up and still lost the title no doubt he'd now be saying "He lost his nerve,  he should have carried on doing what he was doing". Probably saying he'd have rather lost 5-4 etc etc. 

You can't win in this game......even when you're winning. 

A great post that sums up the game in general. Hind sight is a wonderful talent, I wonder how many of the critics would prefer to set the clock to 1945 last night and go again in attacking mode to play for an entertaining three points ? Not me. One telling comment from Carlos, maybe I'm reading too much into it, "Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of the season"  Make of that what you will !

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

A great post that sums up the game in general. Hind sight is a wonderful talent, I wonder how many of the critics would prefer to set the clock to 1945 last night and go again in attacking mode to play for an entertaining three points ? Not me. One telling comment from Carlos, maybe I'm reading too much into it, "Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of the season"  Make of that what you will !

Why would they want to go back to

1945 ?

The end of the war ?

Happy times  but not sure of the relevance.  Also most of us weren't  born then anyway.