Very, very lucky.

2 hours ago, eddyowl123 said:

The cracks of us being 6th in the league?

Granted we weren't great today, but we've also had good performances this season in games which we haven't won, so I'll take a scrappy 3 points today.

Totally agree we got lucky but let's face it we have been unlucky more times than lucky this season so far.

People are being over critical based on the premise that we should be stuffing Rotherham. But that is to under estimate them.

They have had one goal defeats to Newcastle, Leeds, Reading. We matched the result of teams above us.

Since Jackett left, they have picked up form: one goal loss to Fulham, they even managed a win, but reports I've seen suggest their team spirit has improved.

Today, they defended resolutely, they had next to no attacking ambition, they did a job: almost.

Despite missing key players, despite having our centre mid removed by half time, despite our forwards under-performing, we were by far the best side. They can feel hard done by not to have held out for a draw, but we bossed the game. We deserved the win.

1 hour ago, Copthorneowl said:

Wasn't at the game listened to player not remotely relevant to performances but did seem dire. Commentators seemed to think we lumped on three strikers and just hoped something might click.

In Carlos's support how many times have managers of teams  been vilified for waiting too long to change things. Carlos always acts quickly and more or less 13 or 14 players will feature in every match ....and if we're losing at half time some changes will happen straight away.

Ok we were poor but next week we'll have our key player/s back and not be expected to win at the Toon have a sneaking suspicion we might do well.

In the end well done Carlos for reacting and giving Abdi a chance which sadly didn't work out.  UTO

disappointing about abdi, hope he comes good, at least cc gave him the chance

2 hours ago, horny owl said:

Counting the days until the return of Fessi

Without him we are sh!!te

Some matches this season we were rotten with him playing. Let's not pretend otherwise.

If it's the new, improved FF who comes back then yes he is a massive improvement. 

5 hours ago, Coyt said:

Sorry i dont agree with that at all. As i said in another thread, there hasnt really been any performances, bar the second half against Bristol City, that i have come away from the game thinking "Wow we've been brilliant" The performances this season so far have been well below par. Yes we might be in the playoffs but we cant just rely on luck and trying to hang on for dear life against teams.

I would point to Reading a week ago as an example of a game where we played well and didn't come away with anything. We don't seem to be hitting the heights of second half of last season at the moment, but we're also 6th in the table and tend to finish stronger than we start. For me, it's positive signs at this stage. UTO.

14 hours ago, Pacifier said:

I think 6 shots on goal in 90 mins says it all, we were flat and slow. 

This is my point though. If Joao had scored that relatively easy one early on, the whole tone of the game would have changed.

They would have been forced to come out rather than sit behind the ball.

I'm not saying we are playing well , but we miss so many chances in games that change the whole complexion of matches, especially if we are missing them early on.

No point creating loads more chances if we still don't convert them.

I do agree re the pace of some of our play though, sometimes we need to massively up the tempo.

They came to stifle and put 4 or 5 across the back. If you had a cotton reel you couldn't have threaded it through.  We never gave up and our fans didn't either.  Though Joao worked his socks off but couldn't hit a barn door from 2 feet. Wonder what he would be like in FF role.  Overall we worked hard and got 3 precious points against a well drilled desperate side

55 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Also this result balances out any refereeing victimisation that Carlos might have been feeling previously.

Their goal and our pen could easily have been opposite decisions, reulting in a defeat. 

i suppose they could have been if the ref was blind .....it was a blatant pen wood kicked joao no question on that .