Very, very lucky.

Guest domSWFC

Making the game flat, and boring was the aim of both Rotherham and the Referee. I don't think there was ever gonna be able to be a free flowing game of football today with that ref. 

A wins a win, and we are back in the play offs.

22 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Disagree with the OP. Rotherham sat back and made it hard for us. We had 68% possession, 23 shots and 6 on target. 

My main criticism is that we are not clinical in the box. We did deserve to win however. 

We created absolutely nothing. 

It was a frustrating watch that's for sure. Stop start thanks to the ref, Rotherham were only interested in crocking our creative players and once we ended up with Hutch and Jones as the central midfield pairing you knew we'd lack creativity. So many of our attacks followed the same pattern - try to play in Wallace down the right, Rotherham weren't worried about the middle so could afford to close him down, at which point he'd lay it off to Palmer who would lose the ball because his end product is abysmal. 

We need upgrades in the full back positions, we need to alleviate the mifield injuries so we can look threatening down the middle as well as on the wings, and we need to use the left hand sife more as Adam Reach is an excellent player and must have been so frustrated watching Palmer and Wallace running into brick walls time after time. 

That said, I'm not as appalled by some are today by our performance. I said after the Reading game that by hook or by crook Carlos needed to deliver six points from these derbies, he has and I'm delighted. Games against Rotherham and Barnsley aren't easy to navigate - they'll always be more up for it than we are and will often look to negate us. We dealt with it this season where we wouldn't have done in years past. 

We go into the festive season nicely poised in sixth and that'll give me a merry Christmas.

Before people criticise too much, remember:

1) Derby match so form book goes out of the window

2) Bloody Rotherham, it's not like Barnsley where the 3 points is almost a gimme. It's 36 years since we last beat Rotherham at Hillsborough

Under those circumstances I'll cheerfully take the 3 points no matter which way they came.

Onwards and upwards.

59 minutes ago, Pacifier said:

We did get the 3 points, but what a rubbish, flat performance - we look lost without forestieri. 

We look worse when half our first team is missing through injury/suspension - wow, what a shocker!

Did we not just win? Are we not in 6th place? Even 7th if Brum get a result isn't shabby.

We are not going to win every game 4-0 - accept it or go and support a team that does!

5 minutes ago, Pacifier said:

For me this has been a recurring problem this season. Teams come to Hillsborough, sit back, and we have absolutely no idea how to break them down. There's no link between our line of defence and the attack at the moment. Midfield is non-existent so we either play it backwards or just hoof it from defence to attack. Without Hooper no one drops short from up top to receive the ball. Today it looked like we were playing 5-0-5

8 minutes ago, LoadABallacks said:

Was poor today, but you take the points and move on. We've played well this season and got nothing from games. 

Couldn't understand the Rotherham anti football tactics. They need to win games, so at least have a go. 

Dont have any sympathty for any team that play like that. 

It shows they cared more about getting something (anything) from us rather than their actual league position.

But they did have chances to nick it

19 minutes ago, Pacifier said:

We created plenty.

Joao had 3 straight chances in the first half.

We need a striker who will take advantage of these half chances.

Get Rhodes in Jan and some of our problems will disappear like magic.

19 minutes ago, Key said:

We look worse when half our first team is missing through injury/suspension - wow, what a shocker!

Did we not just win? Are we not in 6th place? Even 7th if Brum get a result isn't shabby.

We are not going to win every game 4-0 - accept it or go and support a team that does!

Give over, we've been average all season. 

2 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

We created plenty.

Joao had 3 straight chances in the first half.

We need a striker who will take advantage of these half chances.

Get Rhodes in Jan and some of our problems will disappear like magic.

I think 6 shots on goal in 90 mins says it all, we were flat and slow.