I thought Joao had a reasonable game yesterday, but his best role is not as a target man.  I think he is best used on the counter attack when a through ball is played for him to run on to.  His best games last season were when we had a few situations like this.  Huddersfield at home was one such game if I recall correctly.  That being the case, maybe he will fair better if partnered with Fletcher in the next few games.  Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, Kevan said:

I thought Joao had a reasonable game yesterday, but his best role is not as a target man.  I think he is best used on the counter attack when a through ball is played for him to run on to.  His best games last season were when we had a few situations like this.  Huddersfield at home was one such game if I recall correctly.  That being the case, maybe he will fair better if partnered with Fletcher in the next few games.  Time will tell.

I'm quite excited to see how we line up and how it works without FF or Hooper next three matches, especially the two homes, where no doubt we will play with two big strikers in a fairly direct 442.

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I'm quite excited to see how we line up and how it works without FF or Hooper next three matches, especially the two homes, where no doubt we will play with two big strikers in a fairly direct 442.

We done well for the two matches without Hooper:  6 points and 4 goals scored.

Losing FF is a much bigger test, let's hope Joao & Fletcher do the business.

I think it'll be these two fighting  it out to see who partners FF up front, in Jan when all strikers should be available.

Until he improves & consistently controls the football under pressure more, he will always be an inconsistent, average Championship player.

He needs to realise that he doesn't have to spin in behind defenders every time, be it a run off the ball or spinning defenders with a first touch. 

Sometimes he just needs to be stronger, bring the ball under control, look at playing to support players (such as Lee, Bannan, Forestieri etc.), then spin & turn defenders and use his pace to get away from them.

He frustrates the hell out of me.

Still a long way to go for him on the evidence of Saturday.

In his first two games back, he's had a big say in making 3 of the 4 goals we've scored. Kept the ball in for FF to win the penalty at Wolves, kept the ball in and assisted Lee at Wolves after a fairly poor service from FF and pressured the keeper into making a mistake vs Preston for our first. Really do think he does a job.

He always looks classy and composed to me, but just gets outmuscled - probably because of the role he's been playing as our 'big striker'. Will be interesting to see if he gets the opportunity to stretch his legs and have a few more shots on goal if he's partnered with Fletcher in the next game or two.

1 hour ago, zzmdu said:

We done well for the two matches without Hooper:  6 points and 4 goals scored.

Losing FF is a much bigger test, let's hope Joao & Fletcher do the business.

I think it'll be these two fighting  it out to see who partners FF up front, in Jan when all strikers should be available.

So you have Hooper as 4th striker, behind FF, Fletch and Joao...Interesting.

23 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

So you have Hooper as 4th striker, behind FF, Fletch and Joao...Interesting.

Yes, I think the front pairing after xmas  will be FF and one of Joao or Fletcher.

This would leaves Hooper & Nuhiu and one of Joao/Fletcher on the bench, or sat out completely.

(provided they're all here)

This guy is gonna make a really good player if he keeps his head right.

After a goal, probably at Reading, he'll really motor and show what a promising yougster he is.

And why Pardew sent scouts to watch him a few times after Arsenal game.

Just get Jordan in and we are ok for strikers then this season