1 hour ago, torres said:

He makes a huge difference to the overall team.

Makes our pressing game so much more effective with his ability to eat up the ground.

Something that we lack when Hooper plays. 

Its the same Hutchinson moves to midfield. The tempo and press improves ten fold, when replaced in midfield by Jones it showed. 

Exactly this.

Would like to see Joao playing up front with Fletcher in a 442, only time we've seen it this season was away vs Brentford where if i remember he played well (apart from missing that sitter).

Hopefully Fletchers vast experience will be a good influence on Joao, without FF for 3 games we need a forward who has the burst of pace to run on the backline and cause that kind of threat, Joao has to play.

He had a decent game.  Won some unproductive flick-ons.  But his first touch lets him down too often, and I am not sure that part of his game ever going to be good enough.  He should have got that by now if it was ever going to come.  So for me he is OK as a back up in our current squad.  Nuhiu would have done better in this match than Jaoa did (which I know is an unpopular thought, but that's my opinion).  Fletcher will do well in next few weeks in Forestieri's absence.  Jaoa should be on the bench in my opinion.

Guest The Claw

you can safely say that his first touch of the ball lets him down, if he can get over that he will be outstanding, other than that bring him on.........

His control let's him down but when he does get it under control he looks decent. Needs to get on the weights and we need to play to his game, running with the ball not to feet with his back to goal. He will get games as he's different to our other forwards.

If Joao is going to be used as target man for us than his first touch has to improve. As there main job is to kill the ball dead and lay it off for others. This is something Fletcher is really good at.

Am looking forward to seeing Joao play off Fletcher in the coming weeks as I just don't think at the moment Joao's game suits him being the focal point of the attack.

Interesting to read the contrasting opinions on his game yesterday, wasn't able to go, and I still have no idea how he played. He does give us a more mobile front line, which I like, but as has been mentioned, needs to work on certain parts of his game. He certainly should impose himself on defenders more, as he certainly has the physique to do so. As for his touch, yes it can be found wanting, but every now and again, he produces something sublime. He doesn't do it very often, but occasionally, a piece of control, and a turn, and you think, where did that come from. He certainly has it in his locker to be a fantastic player, and regular games will help. In those early games last season, his link up play with Matias was excellent, sadly though, I don't think they've played together since.

Joao, like the team were pretty poor in that period after our goal before the Buckley chances. 

I thought he improved a lot in the second half and won a lot of decent headers, he just needs to toughen up. As soon as the referee doesn't give you a free kick, you learn that that will be the case for the rest of the match, you have to adapt to the threshold that the referee has shown and give it them back. 

That said, I thought he tired a lot towards the end and Fletcher was very good when he came on. It's very interesting that Joao has been put straight back into 11 in front of Fletcher, who hasn't done much wrong here.

Edited by Owls2k

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Interesting to read the contrasting opinions on his game yesterday, wasn't able to go, and I still have no idea how he played. He does give us a more mobile front line, which I like, but as has been mentioned, needs to work on certain parts of his game. He certainly should impose himself on defenders more, as he certainly has the physique to do so. As for his touch, yes it can be found wanting, but every now and again, he produces something sublime. He doesn't do it very often, but occasionally, a piece of control, and a turn, and you think, where did that come from. He certainly has it in his locker to be a fantastic player, and regular games will help. In those early games last season, his link up play with Matias was excellent, sadly though, I don't think they've played together since.

Yesterday's starting 11 except matias (when fit) for Wallace is what I believe will be the team Carlos go's with week in week out baring any major signings in January.

37 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Yesterday's starting 11 except matias (when fit) for Wallace is what I believe will be the team Carlos go's with week in week out baring any major signings in January.

I'd be delighted with that If we could get that eleven on the pitch, and give them a decent run, the goals would flow, in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Wont have anywhere near enough goals if we field that line-up regularly, unless Joao has kicked on from last year. 

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Wont have anywhere near enough goals if we field that line-up regularly, unless Joao has kicked on from last year. 

Last time matias was injury free he scored 17 goals in one of the top leagues in the world. Think the position Wallace plays at the moment will be ideal for him, if and it's a big if, he can stay injury free.

5 hours ago, torres said:

He makes a huge difference to the overall team.

Makes our pressing game so much more effective with his ability to eat up the ground.

Something that we lack when Hooper plays. 

Its the same Hutchinson moves to midfield. The tempo and press improves ten fold, when replaced in midfield by Jones it showed. 

Absolutely this. Great post.

I thought Joao did pretty well yesterday all things considered. As others have said, he was kicked and pulled all over the place and got nothing from the ref. Put in a good shift for the team and very rarely gave the ball away when he had it to feet. We really need to stop chipping the ball up to his head.

18 minutes ago, zakswfc said:

Personally i thought he was garbage.

It is a very difficult position to play.

Most of the balls you get are 50/50 ones while you are getting pulled all over the place by two big defenders.

You are also continually running the channels while getting the pass about 1 in 6 times 

What did their big striker get out of our back 4 . Nowt

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

If I have an obsession (Ok I probably do) it's to see players in their best position for the team.

When fit, I would have Hooper, Fletch and FF on every team sheet.

If Lucas has improved, and I hope he has, then I would be delighted to see him pushing Fletch for his shirt.

If we keep winning with Joao & ff as a striker pair, presumably you'd be happy with this winning formula?

If he gets his first touch right then the balls is absolutely glued to his feet, it's brilliant to watch. Won some nice flick ons yesterday and pressed very well (his whole attitude seems to have improved, none of the petulant mini-tantrums if he doesn't get a pass when he wants), but didn't carve out any real chances and his first touch does let him down sometimes. A mixed bag, but there's still potential there and to describe his performance yesterday as "garbage" is nonsense.