One type of player we're missing

When will we hear the last if that so-and-so Antonio.

He could be Pele rejuvenated, but don't forget the FACTS

1) He helped us and was a star when we got promotion from L1

2) He may be playing superbly for whoever it is now, BUT-

3)HE CERTAINLY DIDN'T START HIS FIRST SEASON IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP AS A WORLD-BEATER, AND

4) HE ASKED FOR A TRANSFER!!!!!!

Point 4) alone means that his heart was not at S6, and IMO if a player asks for a transfer -SELL HIM.

6 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

3)HE CERTAINLY DIDN'T START HIS FIRST SEASON IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP AS A WORLD-BEATER, AND

Point 4) alone means that his heart was not at S6, and IMO if a player asks for a transfer -SELL HIM.

Not sure I really understand what your getting at here. Are you trying to say why we obsessing over Antonio like we do with Rhodes .

9 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Or you could keep him here, like Fernando, and watch him turn your season around.

2 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Or you could keep him here, like Fernando, and watch him turn your season around.

They tried that, but he insisted. He wasn't cracking it in the Championship with us, for whatever reason, and INSISTED on leaving. 

I think we're all genuinely gutted about how good Antonio has gone on to become. For the simple reason that we knew it. We all saw that that was the player he was going to be. But because of our predicament back then, Forest was a better prospect.

12 hours ago, swfcjack27 said:

Previously I think we needed that blistering pace because we had nothing else, no quality to speak of at all. It might be a nice option to have in certain games but we have enough quality and tactical knowledge these days to play smart without having to be reliant on someone who can just be direct and fast, we are past that

I don't think you can ever be 'past' raw pace. It's a wonderful asset to have in a team.As a defender you can learn how to defend against tricky wingers and intercept passes but it doesn't matter how good a defender you are if you're up against sheer pace and power it makes it extremely difficult. Adding power and pace to the other areas of quality that we have in the team would be the icing on the cake.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Antonio's pace. I loved his control of a ball. I loved his ability to cut inside, shoot and score. In other words I loved Antonio and would love to see him with us now, BUT

HE made the decision to move. Let's just accept it and MOVE ON.

4 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Don't get me wrong. I loved Antonio's pace. I loved his control of a ball. I loved his ability to cut inside, shoot and score. In other words I loved Antonio and would love to see him with us now, BUT

HE made the decision to move. Let's just accept it and MOVE ON.

Can't argue with that. But i dont blame Antonio for wanting to move. we were dormant back then where as forest were on the crest of a wave and spending millions. 

The trouble is, if we want a player that has pace to burn and can also beat their man and rifle it in the top corner its gonna cost millions and we'd have to fend off prem interest. I'd say the only way we'll get this type of player in our league is if we bring them through the academy or buy a young untested player. 

Never a bad thing having an alternative option in the squad. 

Since Helan retired we don't really have anyone with out and out pace. 

FF is quite nippy for instance but I wouldn't say he's got the blistering pace of an Antonio, JJ or Helan. 

Wouldn't be a player I'd see starting under CC (livewire wingers tend to not be great in possession), but it would be a good alternative in those tight games where perhaps we need something a bit different. 

A Carlton Palmer-esque midfielder. Leggy, 6 foot plus able to break up play, lay it off and go. Add to the average height and make us really dangerous on counter. I agree we need pace but I think we need it coming from midfield.

Having said that,  I still like the look of Scott Hogan at Brentford. Quick over 15-25 and can finish too. We dont invite teams onto us, so extreme pace up top is probably a waste, but he's quicker than Hooper and Fletcher and is showing he can cut it at Championship level.

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

They tried that, but he insisted. He wasn't cracking it in the Championship with us, for whatever reason, and INSISTED on leaving. 

I wasn't talking specifics i.e specifically Antonio. I was talking about that general scenario, using FF as an example. 

1 hour ago, spike1867 said:

A Carlton Palmer-esque midfielder. Leggy, 6 foot plus able to break up play, lay it off and go. Add to the average height and make us really dangerous on counter. I agree we need pace but I think we need it coming from midfield.

Having said that,  I still like the look of Scott Hogan at Brentford. Quick over 15-25 and can finish too. We dont invite teams onto us, so extreme pace up top is probably a waste, but he's quicker than Hooper and Fletcher and is showing he can cut it at Championship level.

Isn't Kieran Lee 6'2"? lol