Square Pegs / Round Holes

2 hours ago, nile said:

its all about decision making in a split second, you can't get it right every time.

i would rather take the positives out of it and that's that we have 3 players in a dangerous position, we have plenty of decent new players, we are in the top 6 and we haven't hit top form yet, loads more to come from this team yet.

I don't disagree with any of that, and I'm hardly focusing on the negatives or calling for CC's head on a platter. I just want to see an end to players out of position.

I am going to get slated for this but if from time to time players play in different positions they become better all round players with a greater awareness of space and the game in general.  Kieran Lee for example has played right-back, wide-right and now he's recognised as one of the best box to box midfielders in the division.  As I've mentioned before neither Ross Wallace or Adam Reach are wingers that hog the touch line.  They are comfortable going inside or ending up centrally on the pitch.  Personally I think CC's philosophy makes us less one dimensional and keeps the opposites guessing which is surely a good thing?

I think the plan long term is to use Reach in a free role behind the striker and he was used their a bit for Preston last season.

I do genuinely believe we have hit the jackpot with Reach in terms of just how much of a good player he could be.

In a few months time I think it will be Reach who we always give the ball to and say, go on then make something happen. 

Not to dissimilar to the way spurs used to with Bale.

I don't have a problem with players being used in roles less familiar, as long as it benefits the side. Clearly though, we are not getting the best out of our creative/attacking players. We don't score enough goals. Yes we don't concede many either, but we surely haven't shelled out the best part of £20m, just to become difficult to beat.

11 hours ago, adifferentgame said:

So I was watching the full replay of the Cardiff game, and within the opening 2 minutes, this happened:

Reach.jpg

The white lines indicate the movement of the players over the next few seconds, red circle to show the ball at Reach's feet (it's obscured by his legs).

As you can see, Hooper is about to make a run that puts in him in a great position to shoot. It would have taken a relatively simple ball from Reach to put him through.

Had that been Forestieri, Abdi, Fletcher (basically anyone with some experience as a number 10) I have no doubt that Hooper's run would have received the pass it deserved and that it would have resulted in a shot on target. Reach elected to cut inside the retreating Cardiff player instead. His instincts are to run with the ball, to beat players with his feet, not to play killer through balls to unlock the defence from a central position.

I'm a huge fan of the way that Carlos has us playing, but I'm constantly baffled by his repeatedly playing people in unfamiliar or uncomfortable positions. The Cardiff game was no exception to this.

Reach.bmp

Seems a little odd that you've picked out one little moment in the game and used it to have a dig at Carlos. 

Why not not focus on the brilliant piece of play from Reach to create the goal? 

14 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Seems a little odd that you've picked out one little moment in the game and used it to have a dig at Carlos. 

Why not not focus on the brilliant piece of play from Reach to create the goal? 

I used one example out of several from that game, and could have used many more from others. Even putting aside the fact it'd be a colossal waste of time, I don't see much benefit in presenting a play-by-play analysis of every example of players in uncomfortable positions making errors or poor decisions.

I consider this to be constructive criticism, not "having a dig". You've even quoted my opinion of Carlos, that I'm a huge fan of him and his approach. I'd simply like to see us getting 100% from every player because I think they're good enough to get us where we want to be.

The fact that Reach's brilliant piece of play in the build up to the goal was out on the wing doesn't invalidate my point, it supports it.

12 hours ago, adifferentgame said:

So I was watching the full replay of the Cardiff game, and within the opening 2 minutes, this happened:

Reach.jpg

The white lines indicate the movement of the players over the next few seconds, red circle to show the ball at Reach's feet (it's obscured by his legs).

As you can see, Hooper is about to make a run that puts in him in a great position to shoot. It would have taken a relatively simple ball from Reach to put him through.

Had that been Forestieri, Abdi, Fletcher (basically anyone with some experience as a number 10) I have no doubt that Hooper's run would have received the pass it deserved and that it would have resulted in a shot on target. Reach elected to cut inside the retreating Cardiff player instead. His instincts are to run with the ball, to beat players with his feet, not to play killer through balls to unlock the defence from a central position.

I'm a huge fan of the way that Carlos has us playing, but I'm constantly baffled by his repeatedly playing people in unfamiliar or uncomfortable positions. The Cardiff game was no exception to this.

Reach.bmp

17 minutes ago, adifferentgame said:

I used one example out of several from that game, and could have used many more from others. Even putting aside the fact it'd be a colossal waste of time, I don't see much benefit in presenting a play-by-play analysis of every example of players in uncomfortable positions making errors or poor decisions.

I consider this to be constructive criticism, not "having a dig". You've even quoted my opinion of Carlos, that I'm a huge fan of him and his approach. I'd simply like to see us getting 100% from every player because I think they're good enough to get us where we want to be.

The fact that Reach's brilliant piece of play in the build up to the goal was out on the wing doesn't invalidate my point, it supports it.

But you claim it's not in Reach's nature to play instinctive through balls and he did in the Cardiff game, and it resulted in a goal, it's irrelivent whether he's on the wing or not when he plays them, the fact is he does play them. He has played instinctive through balls in quite a few games too that have resulted in chances. I remember him playing Lee through against Bristol city that resulted in a corner that ended up as a goal for Fletcher. 

So I don't agree with you saying he doesn't play instinctive through balls when he clearly does. 

Edited by RichieB