Jackie Sewell passes away aged 89

32 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

just to think, he broke the record of 34K in the 50' , wonder what todays prices he would have fetched/valued.

R.I.P

Always remember my panini sticker book in the 80's, there was a small picture of him on our page

He signed in 1951.

That was about £785,000in today's money. £34K would have a fortune then for a footballer.

The first one million pound player was tricky trev in 1979, 28 years later.

43 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

He signed in 1951.

That was about £785,000in today's money. £34K would have a fortune then for a footballer.

The first one million pound player was tricky trev in 1979, 28 years later.

But what do you think in today's inflated sky money market? 30 million?

1 hour ago, ViolaOwls said:

just to think, he broke the record of 34K in the 50' , wonder what todays prices he would have fetched/valued.

R.I.P

Always remember my panini sticker book in the 80's, there was a small picture of him on our page

well it was the world record, which is now 90M

My dad can remember Jackie Sewell very well and was about 12 years of age when Jackie signed for Wednesday. My dad always told me a story for years that he saw Jackie regularly walking down Deerlands avenue, because he lodging in a house. My dad used to say " Can you imagine that today, an England striker lodging on Deerlands avenue ", to which he added " He would be worth and an absolute fortune today and be earning thousands ". Deerlands avenue is where my dad lived and was brought up. How times change. He reckons he was a top striker and one of a handful of absolute legendary names to have graced Hillsborough.

RIP Jackie