Jackie Sewell passes away aged 89

3 minutes ago, Geedee said:

It's a great shame that I did not know he played golf relatively local to me he's a great hero  of my Dad's and perhaps I could have arranged for them to have a pint.  

This is the announcement on the club website 

It is with great regret we have to inform you that Jackie Sewell, former England, Notts County, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa and Hull City forward, has passed away at the age of 89.

Jackie was a much respected Member of Stanton-on-the-Wolds Golf Club having joined in the early seventies.

Our sincere condolences go to his family at this very sad time.

A brief synopsis of Jackie's football playing career can be viewed on the BBC website.

Funeral arrangements will be announced in due course.

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Wonder why the article leads with him being a Notts County player rather than us, he played all his England matches with us and was a record signing. Not overly important just annoying.

think he was always associated with notts , i read somewhere that he didnt want to leave them to join us .

5 hours ago, Mick De Lyons said:

My dad can remember Jackie Sewell very well and was about 12 years of age when Jackie signed for Wednesday. My dad always told me a story for years that he saw Jackie regularly walking down Deerlands avenue, because he lodging in a house. My dad used to say " Can you imagine that today, an England striker lodging on Deerlands avenue ", to which he added " He would be worth and an absolute fortune today and be earning thousands ". Deerlands avenue is where my dad lived and was brought up. How times change. He reckons he was a top striker and one of a handful of absolute legendary names to have graced Hillsborough.

RIP Jackie

He was in the team when i first went in 52, so at school i became Jackie Sewell in kickabouts, until a lad called Peter Baines joined our class belatedly  and announced that Sewell was lodging with them on Parson Cross, so he became Sewell and I had to be someone else. He was quick, light on his feet, slightly built, natural goal scorer.

2 hours ago, Jackie Sewell said:

He was in the team when i first went in 52, so at school i became Jackie Sewell in kickabouts, until a lad called Peter Baines joined our class belatedly  and announced that Sewell was lodging with them on Parson Cross, so he became Sewell and I had to be someone else. He was quick, light on his feet, slightly built, natural goal scorer.

Deerlands Close my dad says.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

A really wonderful and very informative obituary written by excellent Brian Glanville in today's Guardian.

Not only does show what a fantastic guy and player Jackie was, it also highlights what an amazing club we are , and our team will be again soon.

When we bought Jackie from Notts County, it was then world's record transfer fee. Think Real Madrid. 

And dream of Premiership next year, because that's where we are going.

20 hours ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

A really wonderful and very informative obituary written by excellent Brian Glanville in today's Guardian.

Not only does show what a fantastic guy and player Jackie was, it also highlights what an amazing club we are , and our team will be again soon.

When we bought Jackie from Notts County, it was then world's record transfer fee. Think Real Madrid. 

Well said. RIP to a true legend.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/29/jackie-sewell-obituary

23 hours ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

Absolutely.  As someone point out in the comments, Glanville is only used for obituaries these days, but what a splendid writer he is.  Calmness and perspective, when so much football writing seems to be directed to children attention deficit disorders.  The stupidity and venality of the contemporary football environment must distress him.

The last member of the England team that lost to Hungary in 1953!  That's the sort of thing that make the eyes water.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Would be great to win tomorrow for Jackie and also a launch pad for our Premiership bid.

3- 0 Owls , if  Fletch and Reach together.

Yes, Glanville excellent compared to today's scribblers and Sewell's passing reminds you when football was a bit more savoury, with players and fans actually connected.

That said, except for FF episode, feel our current lot are a really good bunch, see Fletch's work rate even with his big money contract, and CARLOS always praises fans.

Happy memories.