Not unless Hodgson takes over.

Hodgson's first team sheet as Owls manager

Westwood

Nuhiu Bannan Wallace Lee

Hooper Fletcher Palmer Hunt Lees

Hutchinson

Sub Forestieri 

With Nuhiu taking the corners

the one thing that Hutch's performance last week reminded me off was madjid bougherra. A few times hutch intercepted the ball and just burst into midfield with ease. If he can stay fit we've got our first choice pairing for the season sorted.

26 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

the one thing that Hutch's performance last week reminded me off was madjid bougherra. A few times hutch intercepted the ball and just burst into midfield with ease. If he can stay fit we've got our first choice pairing for the season sorted.

Agreed. 

At least sets us up ok for the first few weeks. Can use the full extent of the transfer window to bting in another capable, yet unexpensive CB for further cover at the same time as moving any transfer funds towards more important targets like a quality left back  / Pudil / mesmerising, creative winger etc

On 7/21/2016 at 18:37, Jazzybmzoo said:

We can just play Lachman's nob there.

brings new meaning to a penetrating defence.

oh, and is it just me that always thinks of this when reading a thread title like above?

not sure this would ever work en masse at Hillsborough though.

Using Sam as a CB is fine. We'd still need someone who is North of 6'2 in the squad. mariappa might work on a free. We would then need a CM who is North of 6ft to help. I need to see four or five players who expect to win headers at set pieces in a side. lees, Hutch, fletcher and who? 

Mariappa stands less than six foot, and heading the ball isn't his strong point. Yes it's a worry though, Hutchinson's inclusion in the back four, plus no Pudil, means we are even smaller than last season. When we are likely to be confronted by opponents who have half a dozen six footers at set plays, what are our two gonna do?

Forget Mariappa then. That's my point and the two cb wouldn't be dominant. By that I mean and lump who's big stands next to them and they can't clear routine balls. Then you stand at a set play and again have no clear favourite to win and not enough to pick up their threats. Steven caulker on loan? He plays left sided too. 

34 minutes ago, djorkaeff said:

Forget Mariappa then. That's my point and the two cb wouldn't be dominant. By that I mean and lump who's big stands next to them and they can't clear routine balls. Then you stand at a set play and again have no clear favourite to win and not enough to pick up their threats. Steven caulker on loan? He plays left sided too. 

I guess that's why we were apparently so keen on Hanley, as he fitted your description to a tee. 

On 21 July 2016 at 10:54, S_W_F_C said:

Right back? lol 

This quote is from Keiren Westwood in a recent interview;

“Sam’s a midfielder or a right-back but he’s good enough to slot in anywhere which is a massive bonus.”
“He showed he can play there last year.

28 minutes ago, Beholder said:

This quote is from Keiren Westwood in a recent interview;

Yes I read that too Got a sense from that interview, that Westwood was feeling some of frustrations felt by fans, regarding the lack of incomings. I wonder if others are feeling the same, or even the coach himself. Just goes to show, that it's not just the fans who are getting impatient

30 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Semedo has looked very good a few times at centre half, a few along side Llera spring to mind albeit at a lower standard than we are aiming for. Is he our 4th CB as back up if we don't get anyone in?

Again though, he's only 5-10

29 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

True but Turner was our biggest CB in a while and he was dogger

Couldn't agree more He had one excellent game, away at Hull, I think, but was pretty rubbish for the rest of the time