Charlie Mulgrew

51 minutes ago, MrEdwards said:

Must be a better left back than Helan though?

He is similar to Helan in that he is an attacking full back but his strengths are delivery rather than pace. It's fair to say both aren't the strongest defensively. Mulgrew is a threat going forward and his set piece delivery is excellent but I don't think he is a top of the table Championship player.

I can't find my original Mulgrew thread, it must have been lost when Neil pressed the big red button one of those times, but there's mention of Charlie in that Spurr thread.

I thought he would have been a good signing in League 1 and especially at that age when he was leaving Aberdeen. I'm not convinced he would be now though even when full back is our weakest area. 

lol We've come on a bloody long way from the dark days of Alan Irvine and Tommy Spurr though.

Guest WESTENDOWL
35 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

Ive just realised who is is, matt brown is charlies brother

I hope you didn't get that answer from the `pig pen `

3 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

If the wages being talked about are correct then it's poor value for money for a squad player. He does have flexibility but Mulgrew is a poor centre half, I'm not convinced at all by his defensive capabilities.

If the wages are correct then, yes I agree, better spent elsewhere. Hope there is some transfer movement soon. Getting itchy feet.

He'd do a fine job at this level, he's got 2 dozen Champions and Europa league games under his belt and he's pretty reliable. He's got the physique for this league, hits an excellent dead ball and is a capable defender.

Left back is probably his worst position tho. He's passable at it for Scotland, as they tend to sit back and he'd have Anya in front of him to counter-attack.. but at the end of the day he's not really quick enough to get up and down for a side like us who look to boss games.
He'd be fine at centerback, better than Loovens, but he's probably best in central midfield and as a replacement for Hutchinson in that position I think he could work very well.