Ross McCormack - Bid Made £11.5 Million

The thing is wuth McCormack  (I'm not sure about anyone else but definitely applies to me), qmwe don't watch him week in week out, we only really see him in highlights or against us. From what I've seen he's a fantastic player. But those who watch him week in week out have differing views on him 

56 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Yes. Jerome was preferred to Hooper at Norwich for a start. He's quicker, stronger and better in the air.

Vydra is as good a finisher but is also quicker and busier.

There's more to it than minutes per goal.

Jerome - quicker, stronger, better in the air - doesn't score many goals.

Vydra - quicker and busier - doesn't score many goals.

Hooper - slow, weak, poor in the air, lazy (all In your opinion) - but scores shed loads of goals. 

Really dont understand your beef with Hooper. Has the ability to fire us into the Prem but all you do is moan about him and talk about him needing to spend more time on the bench.

Guest wilyfox

Yeah, I don't get that either. One poor season at Reading and all of a sudden people think he's crap. Vydra was superb for Watford. Not his fault Reading were shybo. Their season fell apart when Clarke expressed interest in the Fulham job. 

6 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

He cost reading a 2.5m loan fee and was absolutely rubbish. 

Sorry we we need better than him 

Just a bad fit at Reading. Bannan was on a downward curve being loaned out here and there until he found his feet again with us. Vydra could suit the CC way of playing in a similar way to Forestieri.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Consistency - He has been prolific in 5 of his 8 Championship seasons, and an three the cupboard was bare. Hooper by contrast has only "failed" once, scoring 6/30 but that was in the PL.

Hooper scored more regularly that RM last year, and he is 2 years younger.

Those who suggest RM is worth more are guilty of thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. Go and read the views of Fulham fans. grateful but hardly rave about his team ethic, fitness and work rate.

Agree with all of this. I want forwards/attackers to attack and score goals. There are seven players behind them to win the ball and get the team moving upfield. A finisher is priceless. That is what Hooper is. Just that.

11 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Yeah, I don't get that either. One poor season at Reading and all of a sudden people think he's crap. Vydra was superb for Watford. Not his fault Reading were shybo. Their season fell apart when Clarke expressed interest in the Fulham job. 

Nobody is saying he is crap.

It's the context. Our friend is saying he would prefer Vydra to Hooper at S6.

2 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Bad fit at WBA as well. He has had 2 good seasons, both with the same team and beyond that he has no goal scoring record.

If it was going to be another ridiculous loan fee like Reading paid I'd put it towards a permanent transfer. I have no concerns with our firepower if we signed nobody else up front

I do have concerns over a lightweight midfield that can get over run away from home. Our away record was the difference between going for the top 2 and the top 6. 

Id id prefer us to spend 11.5m on a top quality midfielder in the Diame mould than I would on another striker. 

I agree with you in that we need to solidify our midfield and also our squad depth at the back. Just think that Vydra is a bit better than you give him credit for, especially at Championship level with the right club.

4 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Let's start addressing some of the issues that will help Hooper.

Namely a strike partner (hopefully that is fletcher) and some service from the wings. If he gets both he will get 20-25 goals next season for sure. His pedigree in this league is proven beyond doubt 

There is even more to it than this.

Yes, a strike partner in Fletcher that will help Hooper get 20-25 goals, but also the point is that Fletcher will contribute 12-15 at this level in our team, and Fernando will contribute 15 or so from wide. It's a wonderful mix. 

1 minute ago, S_W_F_C said:

Just me mindful that Hooper and Fletcher will be on 30k plus a week, without being arrogant enough to think they are here as squad players where do you think Vydra would fit in.

That is not to mention that we have Joao as well (and Dave :biggrin:)

I totally understand what you're saying and glad that CC has that headache rather than me. Vydra could work in a 4-3-3 with either Hooper or Fletcher as the spearhead and Vydra and Forestieri as the wider options. In a 4-4-2 though I worry that Forestieri doesn't offer enough support to the full back. If we do end up signing 'proper' wide men then they need to be able to do the dirty work as much as supply at the other end. I think McManaman might be a good option in that regard.

Guest wilyfox

Well again, by comparison, they're chalk and cheese. Vydra is better stretching teams and running in behind, but Hooper is the stronger finisher - in my opinion. Happy with our striking options, to be honest. Should have goals galore in Hooper and Fletcher - providing the service is good. Get a quality winger on the opposite flank to Forestieri, and we should be rockin'. 

Edited by wilyfox

6 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Yes I would. Because I think he's a better striker. That's based on what I've seen with my trusty eyes, not statistics.

Should have gone to Specsavers