New ground v redevelopment ?

I don't think we ever need to move from Hillsborough. Just rebuild the West Stand and sadly the Kop, and refurbish the North and we're good to go for the next 20/25 years. We can readdress it then, if the current trend of football continues however everyone will be moving grounds at some point in the near future.

Anybody any idea how much extra it would cost to build new as opposed to demolishing and rebuilding existing stands. My guess is a new build wouldn't be that much more expensive

IF Mr Chansiri has bought a patch of land near the old airport, then he might well be thinking of moving us entirely. It makes sense in some ways - puts us more central to the S Yorks / N Derbyshire region, is near the M1 etc giving us potential to grow our non-football revenues as well as our fanbase.

But I would be gutted to leave Hillsborough.

Went on the kop yesterday. Enjoyed the atmosphere and the view from the middle is amazing. The facilities though are appalling. Would cost serious £££££ to get the place in shape.

New stadium makes more financial sense in the long run. New stadium designs don't have to be poo poo.

Edited by owls101

I could get to Meadowhall area in around an hour. Dependant on traffic it could take me that long to get to the ground and park. Stuff like this that puts people off i'm sure

Deffo put me off darra. Esp if im rushing from work for a night match. If i could park away from the ground and use a park and ride, it would make life so much easyier. The area around the ground needs massive investment as well as the ground. Edited by Maddogbob

The local amenities that we talk about, aren't particularly of any benefit to the club. A new stadium with huge purpose built bars and food outlets, would mean increased revenue for the club. Obviously, most of us would prefer the traditional pub, but from the clubs point of view, there's a huge opportunity there

Guest Grez Bez

If there is a nice building in town with loads of history , you don't knock it down you renovate. Don't see why football grounds are any different!

Embrace our culture and history

No stigma for me, i love our ground and dont give a flying fluck what scousers, journos and self appointed stadium design experts think about it.

Its part of our DNA as a club and all it needs is some TLC to bring it up to scratch. Half of the clubs in the prem would love a ground like ours.

A move away to a soul less identikit bowl would would be folly of the highest magnitude.

Olive Grove is part of our DNA as well..

Guest Fedor

Went on the kop yesterday. Enjoyed the atmosphere and the view from the middle is amazing. The facilities though are appalling. Would cost serious £££££ to get the place in shape.

New stadium makes more financial sense in the long run. New stadium designs don't have to be poo poo.

The last line is key.

We have a blank canvass.

If there is a nice building in town with loads of history , you don't knock it down you renovate. Don't see why football grounds are any different!

Our history is Bumhole Stain, shall we embrace that?

Not entirely true. Sheffield a planners have bulldozed loads of historic buildings in the city centre.

You mention serious cost to get Hillsborough's facilities sorted, but then you say new stadium designs don't have to be poo poo. If you want to do it within a reasonable budget it's very difficult to do anything iconic with the stadium, hence why most new builds are designed to a similar template (the exception being Brighton, but the Amex cost £93million according to Wiki - and Brighton needed a proper stadium given that they'd been calling an athletics arena home for several years).

If we're prepared to spend enough to make an iconic/unique new stadium, then we'd easily have the money to upgrade Hillsborough to modern standards.

Personally, I'd prefer to stay where we are and upgrade Hillsborough to something close to the World Cup plans.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

Costs simply don't stack up for a new round, the current Hillsborough site is simply not worth enough as a development site, current valuation is £10million.

When you take the cost of a new ground vs the cost of bringing Hillsborough up to the world cup design which was superb, then the difference in costs over the depreciation term would be at least £4 million a year.

Therefore the additional income on use of the ground and the extra match day food sales would fall well short of covering this, and therefore would not contribute to revenue but would be a cost overhead.

Much better to develop at a lower cost and obtain a net benefit to revenue.

Simple financials.

ALSO the thought that a ground developed on a single main road would be easier to get to then the current stadium accessible via at least 5 main road directions is simply baseless and rather simple minded.

That also ignores our wonderful grounds history and tradition, even the negatives simply contribute to the footballing history of our marvelous home.

Guest Grez Bez

Not entirely true. Sheffield a planners have bulldozed loads of historic buildings in the city centre.

Did!

I think we have learnt from our mistakes there

If the club want to move to a new ground I think they should canvas season tickets holders and members for their thoughts first.

Would I renew if I had to drive out to the parkway / M1? Doubt it.

Would I renew if we got a site half a mile away? Definately.

You mention serious cost to get Hillsborough's facilities sorted, but then you say new stadium designs don't have to be poo poo. If you want to do it within a reasonable budget it's very difficult to do anything iconic with the stadium, hence why most new builds are designed to a similar template (the exception being Brighton, but the Amex cost £93million according to Wiki - and Brighton needed a proper stadium given that they'd been calling an athletics arena home for several years).

If we're prepared to spend enough to make an iconic/unique new stadium, then we'd easily have the money to upgrade Hillsborough to modern standards.

Personally, I'd prefer to stay where we are and upgrade Hillsborough to something close to the World Cup plans.

Ok. Even if it costs more to build a new stadium the returns would be greater in the long term. Even with redevelopment we would still be limited to what we can achieve due to the nature of the site and location. At the moment Hillsborough is used for 23 football matches and that's pretty much it. That wouldn't change significantly if we redevelop.

What's this soulless / identikit rubbish that's trotted out all the time? There is nowhere more soulless than Hillsborough when less than 20k are rattling round in it. It was great yesterday but people make atmospheres not bricks and mortar.

People are saying they love the place but then talk about 3 or even all 4 sides needing redevelopment. What do you actually love if it all needs redeveloping? Is it the plot of land because 4 new sides would actually be a new stadium which is a bit like the Triggers new broom gag.

The difference being this.

20000 in Hillsborough. Bad atmosphere.

20000 in new ground. Bad atmosphere.

Sold out Hillsborough. Brilliant atmosphere.

Sold out new ground. Not a good atmosphere(as a rule). These new grounds for have no tradition, no soul. Where for example would the singers congregate? How would they all know? They look fine,all shiny and new, but once the novelty wears off we're left with a ground we have no affection for. It means nothing to us. I'm really surprised how little affection our fans have for our ground tbh.

Edited by archieswfc