Only Lees and Westwood safe

Sheffield Wednesday's newly appointed advisor Glenn Roeder has told the Yorkshire Post that he is expecting to be very busy over the upcoming transfer window.

Wednesday appointed Roeder alongside Adam Pearson yesterday to oversee transfer dealings at the club and the pair are set to be put to work straight away at Hillsborough.

Wednesday have a staggering 15 players with their contracts expiring and from Roeder's comments it would seem that a large amount of these will be allowed to leave.

“There is going to be a big turnover in the squad due to the number out of contract (this summer) and we have to get it right," he said. 

“Stuart will want to concentrate on the coaching, which is one of his big strengths. He can leave the recruitment, as I will travel anywhere in the world to watch a player.

“The three of us – four, including the chairman – are strong characters with strong opinions. But we will come up with the right result for Sheffield Wednesday."

The Daily Mail reports that Tom Lees and Kieren Westwood will both be offered new deals and it seems that they have avoided the cull.

The other 13 players who see their contracts expire this summer have a more anxious wait over their futures, though.

SEE ALSO: Pearson dispels main criticism of new management structure at Sheffield Wednesday

In ordinary circumstances Wednesday would surely have offered the bulk of the out of contract group new deals, but the expectations at Hillsborough have been raised.

The arrival of Dejphon Chansiri at the club means that the Owls have funds to spend and they are set to flex their new-found financial muscle in the transfer window, as they look to bring in the quality of player required to get them to the Premier League.

Does the YP think Lees and Westwood are out of contract or something?? Hope Gray will have a say or final say on a player being brought in as it will be him who is working with him day in day out. Exciting times none the less

Edited by s6 owl

Sheffield Wednesday's newly appointed advisor Glenn Roeder has told the Yorkshire Post that he is expecting to be very busy over the upcoming transfer window.

Wednesday appointed Roeder alongside Adam Pearson yesterday to oversee transfer dealings at the club and the pair are set to be put to work straight away at Hillsborough.

Wednesday have a staggering 15 players with their contracts expiring and from Roeder's comments it would seem that a large amount of these will be allowed to leave.

“There is going to be a big turnover in the squad due to the number out of contract (this summer) and we have to get it right," he said.

“Stuart will want to concentrate on the coaching, which is one of his big strengths. He can leave the recruitment, as I will travel anywhere in the world to watch a player.

“The three of us – four, including the chairman – are strong characters with strong opinions. But we will come up with the right result for Sheffield Wednesday."

The Daily Mail reports that Tom Lees and Kieren Westwood will both be offered new deals and it seems that they have avoided the cull.

The other 13 players who see their contracts expire this summer have a more anxious wait over their futures, though.

SEE ALSO: Pearson dispels main criticism of new management structure at Sheffield Wednesday

In ordinary circumstances Wednesday would surely have offered the bulk of the out of contract group new deals, but the expectations at Hillsborough have been raised.

The arrival of Dejphon Chansiri at the club means that the Owls have funds to spend and they are set to flex their new-found financial muscle in the transfer window, as they look to bring in the quality of player required to get them to the Premier League.

Hmm, I'm really concerned that Roeder could upset and spoil the balance we have, for him to say "He (Gray) can leave the recruitment, as I will travel anywhere in the world to watch a player" - that seems to me to say he (Gray) doesn't matter...

I'm concerened that the words knob and head could be coming together...

Hmm, I'm really concerned that Roeder could upset and spoil the balance we have, for him to say "He (Gray) can leave the recruitment, as I will travel anywhere in the world to watch a player" - that seems to me to say he (Gray) doesn't matter...

I'm concerened that the words knob and head could be coming together...

Thats what i'm saying should ultimately be the manager/head coach who has the final say otherwise whats he being used for? To do the dirty work and take the flack if it goes t!ts up? I could be completely wrong but thats how i see it.

Edited by s6 owl

Nothing article put together from bits of the press conference yesterday and an article from the daily mail last week

Chansiri has said Gray will get the final say on anything on the football side of things (recruitment/team selection/tactics etc.)

Unfortunately, I fear, Chansiri will listen to the senior team HE has brought in and there excuses, sorry reasons...

Thats what i'm saying should ultimately be the manager/head coach who has the final say otherwise whats he being used for? To do the dirty work and take the flack if it goes t!ts up? I could be completely wrong but thats how i see it.

It's already been said that gray will identify the men he wants, roeder will do the deal. It's not difficult to understand. It's an ideal scenario. Person there to get price and make 'every penny worth it' (he said something to that effect)

It's already been said that gray will identify the men he wants, roeder will do the deal. It's not difficult to understand. It's an ideal scenario. Person there to get price and make 'every penny worth it' (he said something to that effect)

I hope you're right but that does appear to be a very naive statement to this scinical old goat..

Just the way i read that article at first glance... maybe he just means Gray suggests the player and Roeder goes to scout that person while gray gets on with the resources hes got at hand... or along them lines

Just the way i read that article at first glance... maybe he just means Gray suggests the player and Roeder goes to scout that person while gray gets on with the resources hes got at hand... or along them lines

This is how I see (hope) things will work. Gray to indentify a player, Roeder to suggest a player for Gray to approve and to scout said player, leaving Gray to coach/manage. Pearson to deal with the contracts and commercials.

It will be interesting to here Grays side of things this week. he will tow the party line no doubt but his enthusiasm will tell us alot.

As long as gray gets a say in who he wants and who a primary target is then it's fine by me. Pearson and roeder should work to the chairman and head coach IMO as its those two who get fired/pay the money.

if we want promotion we need better players in every position bar westwood ,lees.

we'll do well to get up so soon with such drastic changes.

I don't disagree with any of that but I'd still keep lee,

Semedo, loovens and possibly Maguire for a potential promotion squad. If a team loses or messes with a good "spine" then it's a gamble in itself.

If we re signed those we'd still need to bring in a good ten players