SG: A rare quality in management

There is no one type of manager who gets a team promoted.

You have seasoned old know it alls like Royle. McCarthy, Redknapp who have done it 2 or 3 times.

You have the ex superstar who steams in and changes the whole profile of a club - Keane at Sunderland, Hoddle at Swindon,

You have barking man motivators like Dowie, Holloway, Dyche who do it through force of personality

You even have miserable sods like Pearson and Coppell who have done it.

There is no science behind any of it. Gray has as much of a chance as anyone of getting us up.

Amen brother. It's all about creating the right environment....for players and managers.

Look at Grant Holt or Darryl Murohy or McGoldrick.....average here....get them in the right environment....very good.

Look at Connor W ...superb here...went to Leeds and........bad environment. Ben Marshall....great here (although the league below)....at Blackburn he's in and out the side.

We've got a great opportunity for stability at an important time in our clubs history. Stuey can build something special here. Here's a novel idea..... How about some of our fans showing a bit of loyalty.....the kind of loyalty that they slate players for not showing when they sign for other teams.

A nice man but nice people don't always make it to the top.

I just feel if we are really going for the top prize, we need a hardened, seasoned manager. Where we get him from who knows, but in football managers come and go so I am sure the right man will be available within the next three months.

Agree - I have always felt this was the case with Gray..it's the clutch games that we have to win that will be critical going forwards and I am not convinced Gray is the man to inspire/set the team up to win those.

Not that I am advocating him to come here, but it's Managers like Steve Bruce that seem to have the ability to drag teams - often not great ones - to the next level and that is what I think we will need here as I dont think we will be able to compete money wise with the richer clubs in the league

I think the mistake that most of you 'Gray out brigade' is you equate a nice guy with being a soft touch who will wilt when the going gets tough.

As well as being a great reader of the game, top tactics and  he has almost all the players on side with team spirit second to none. What he has achieved this season with the  lack of resources is nothing short of miraculous. Swapping him would be folly of the highest order.

We have witnessed what he can do with this very thin squad Imagine what might be possible with half a dozen quality additions playing on a quality pitch.

Also think about what we would lose... Another pre-season down the pan with yet another manager wasting valuable time getting to know the players and introducing his own brand of 4-5-1 Yeah 4-5-1 everyone is doing it so you had better get used to it !

I will certainly support any manager it situ at Hillsborough. However, I think the Gray bating, that is being carried on by some, is both ignorant and impolite in the extreme. Criticism is welcome by all means but your comments regarding Tactics and ineptitude do nothing other than highlight crass ignorance !    

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Agree - I have always felt this was the case with Gray..it's the clutch games that we have to win that will be critical going forwards and I am not convinced Gray is the man to inspire/set the team up to win those.

Not that I am advocating him to come here, but it's Managers like Steve Bruce that seem to have the ability to drag teams - often not great ones - to the next level and that is what I think we will need here as I dont think we will be able to compete money wise with the richer clubs in the league

What more could Gray have done with the players at his disposal? Honestly?

Also to those of you who "don't trust him with money" please explain why exactly. Please also clarify which of Gray's signings have not worked out and your reasons why then suggest who (that we can realistically get) is better to replace him.

Gray has created phenomenal team spirit (the like of which carried us to promotion 3 seasons ago) and I believe has a genuine eye for a player. During his tenure he has signed Loovens, Westwood, Lees and McGugan all of whom have worked brilliantly. We also have a very exciting prospect in May and possibly also Bus and Melo who we have yet to see. Dielna shows promise.

Other players have been transformed into solid reliable performers such as Palmer and Zayatte, even Semedo has been given a new lease of life. If he can do this with the sparse funds he has had available to date just imagine what he could do with a decent budget.

Or is it just typical Wednesday that when on the verge of something special we inevitably find a way to wee wee tail it up? Sacking Gray would in my opinion be just such a wee wee tail up.

Please tell us about his substitutions. You could start with the Rotherham game, perhaps?

Hmmm maybe because except the Rotherham game he brings on a defender for a striker with nearly a full half left...

Edited by owlman92

Yawn,

such a boring manager, far too defensive and don't even get me started about his substitutions.

Also no doubt when our nest defeat comes you all will want him out...

I still say gray out!

Not so sure about that. The debate's been going for a while now and those supporting Gray have stuck by him for the most part. This isn't a case of make a decision now and stick to it forever more. It's a case of whether you think he deserves to continue following the results he has achieved so far with the resources available (money, players, staff). This should be reassessed every so often based on current performances. It should be the same for anyone in any position.

Love the guy👌, would be nice to stick by him, he deserves it, might not have been attractive football, but it's been football that has kept us away from a relegation threat, a team that's been comfortable all season despite a period of games without a win, credit were it is due, he does have qualities about him, and I couldn't care less about the odd flaw here or there! In Stuart we trust🙌

Yawn,

such a boring manager, far too defensive and don't even get me started about his substitutions.

Also no doubt when our nest defeat comes you all will want him out...

I still say gray out!

Okay, who are you going to replace him with?

The Football manager merry go round is getting beyond a joke. Apparently turn over of league managers has reached 50% .

OK so everyone wants success yesterday ! But chairmen have to take responsibility for the appointments.

The question arises why don't the normal rules of employment law ever seem to apply to the football industry ? Some clubs pay off their managers, some place their managers on 'Gardening leave'. Some leave Ex Managers with little alternative but litigation. I think the answer should be mid-term 'fit & proper  person tests' for the Chairmen. It's becoming too ridiculous for words.   

There is no one type of manager who gets a team promoted.

You have seasoned old know it alls like Royle. McCarthy, Redknapp who have done it 2 or 3 times.

You have the ex superstar who steams in and changes the whole profile of a club - Keane at Sunderland, Hoddle at Swindon,

You have barking man motivators like Dowie, Holloway, Dyche who do it through force of personality

You even have miserable sods like Pearson and Coppell who have done it.

There is no science behind any of it. Gray has as much of a chance as anyone of getting us up.

Ahh..a man who thinks like me!..

Hmmm maybe because except the Rotherham game he brings on a defender for a striker with nearly a full half left...

He didn't do that against Wolves, Fulham, Blackburn, or Middlesbrough either. In fact, the only time he's brought a defender on for a striker at any point in the last six games was against Blackpool.

I'm sure there are other isolated examples of it happening earlier in the season, but I don't need to keep looking further back to know that your statement is complete and utter rubbish.

Agree with the OP aside from the Mattock blossoming bit - he is woeful.

Yes home form has not been great, but away form has been decent, he will get a chance next season of that I am sure, and I for one hope that he proves a lot of the doubters wrong.