SG: A rare quality in management

A nice man but nice people don't always make it to the top. 

I just feel if we are really going for the top prize, we need a hardened, seasoned manager. Where we get him from who knows, but in football managers come and go so I am sure the right man will be available within the next three months.

He might be nice but he's also a good man manager, top coach and has proved his football worth since he took over from Jones. I think that ditching him without seeing how he could progress us with a reasonable budget would be at best premature and at worst; folly.

There is no one type of manager who gets a team promoted.

You have seasoned old know it alls like Royle. McCarthy, Redknapp who have done it 2 or 3 times.

You have the ex superstar who steams in and changes the whole profile of a club - Keane at Sunderland, Hoddle at Swindon,

You have barking man motivators like Dowie, Holloway, Dyche who do it through force of personality

You even have miserable sods like Pearson and Coppell who have done it.

There is no science behind any of it.  Gray has as much of a chance as anyone of getting us up.

Very true. If you look at some of our most successful and respected managers over my lifetime watching Wednesday, Jack Charlton, Howard Wilkinson and Ron Atkinson could hardly be described as peas in a pod.

The best manager/head coach is the guy who gets results and keeps hold of the dressing room, however he chooses to do it.

I just feel to trust him with a large budget is risky. If we have an experienced DOF, who has the final say on transfers, after consulting with the manager, it might work with Gray. I really hope I am wrong and Gray turns out to be a world beater - who knows for sure ?

I just feel to trust him with a large budget is risky. If we have an experienced DOF, who has the final say on transfers, after consulting with the manager, it might work with Gray. I really hope I am wrong and Gray turns out to be a world beater - who knows for sure ?

Done a terrific job with a modest budget. No reason to suppose he couldn't progress things with better financial backing IMO. As you say though; no one can be sure any more than could be said about any potential replacement. The idea of a DOF meddling with the actual playing affairs leaves me cold though.

Yes he has good points but then there are bad points too. 4 home wins,12 home goals,boring football.

You don't just try to outscore opponents, when you have the worst forwards in the division ...

As a result of being a selling club (up to this point)

Guest Ash76

There is no one type of manager who gets a team promoted.

You have seasoned old know it alls like Royle. McCarthy, Redknapp who have done it 2 or 3 times.

You have the ex superstar who steams in and changes the whole profile of a club - Keane at Sunderland, Hoddle at Swindon,

You have barking man motivators like Dowie, Holloway, Dyche who do it through force of personality

You even have miserable sods like Pearson and Coppell who have done it.

There is no science behind any of it. Gray has as much of a chance as anyone of getting us up.

This

Yes, Get rid of SG, change style of play, new manager, get rid of existing team for pennies, buy new players at top rates.... a bit like starting again and if it doesn't work, do it all again. We have to use up this money somehow.

or we could just continue building......

He has to take credit for where we are at the minute. The home form hasn't been good but with our limited resources in the attacking areas we should be closer to the bottom than we are. Would everyone want us to be more gung-ho in our approach and be more like Rotherham who score goals but ship a whole load more? I'd say most of his signings have turned out well. Maybe only signing he's been able to spend any money on (may) hasn't turned out as planned, but he only cost 800k and is young so to expect him to score as many goals as the other top strikers in this division ( most have cost 7mil plus) is a little hard on both gray and may. Didn't someone once say that if you get 50% of your signings right then your doing a good job then I'd say stu has earned the right to be given an improved budget to bring in better quality players

I do think he's cautious, but..maybe we have had to be this season..its not as though it hasn't worked for the most part.

Now with McGugan, you see that maybe , If he had a winger either side of him, without him having to go wide all the time..our options would open up, the play could open up and the goals might flow more regularly....

McGugan is a must sign for us if we can...and Gray can go into the new season with more options than he had this...

Guest totemowl

mourinho!

But he dunt have that 'rare quality' that the op refers to does he.

Or does he? Perhaps it's not so rare after all.

I don't where this " don't trust him with money" comes from. He ain't frickin had any real money to spend and as SG has said previously he would hope, after the takeover and injection of funds, to be able to shop at a higher level than previous. Let's give the man a chance and judge him when he has been able to buy quality players like McGugan (please let it happen!!).

Lay off SG we don't want to end up with someone like the fat Pie Muncher at Toytown, lot's of blather but no substance. Besides we want to build up our young supporter base not scare them away with the great pie eater

Guest wayne the owl

I just don't understands people's logic .

SG kept us up last season , we have progressed to mid table ... Yet people still want him out , have people learnt nothing from constantly changing manager every season ? what do people genuily think he should of achived ? A none relegation battling season is all most would of wanted this season in August , now people moan like we should of got promoted !

I just don't understands people's logic .

SG kept us up last season , we have progressed to mid table ... Yet people still want him out , have people learnt nothing from constantly changing manager every season ? what do people genuily think he should of achived ? A none relegation battling season is all most would of wanted this season in August , now people moan like we should of got promoted !

Football fans are fickle. They want Wenger out at Arsenal, they wanted Rogers out at Liverpool until recently. They want Pellegrini out at at City! It's all relative. I'd be happy with PL football in 2 years. After that, if no Champions League, get rid of SG  :laugh:

Edited by Dronfield Blue

Maybe if our crowds at home got behind the players, as our away fans do, and left out all the snide commEnts made about the players, we might see the number of home wins increase.

Oh f*** off with that rubbish!!!

What a load of tosh!

Home and away games are very different situations and they're not a different set of people. The vast majority of away fans that make noise while sat/stood together are season ticket holders that sit quietly while spread across the ground at Hillsborough.

Fans are there to watch and respond. It's the players job to give us something to get fired up about - especially at home.

Fans fault indeed! :angry:

Gray's got the bits that money can't buy spot on this season: team spirit, organisation, and work ethic. If he's properly backed in the transfer market and can bring in some genuine attacking quality, then I'm sure we'll accelerate our progress under him next season.

Gray's kept his side of the bargain so far and deserves to be backed as far as I'm concerned.

post-37726-0-03450600-1427223757.png