Tudgay&burton

Guest Gazzaswfc

How very strange. Burton's goal scoring record for us was really pretty atrocious, and Tudgay only scored double figures in one season, while with us. Nuhiu is not able to skip around like Tudgay did, because he's about a foot taller and four stones heavier, but I'd say is a far better footballer, skill wise, than Tudgay could ever hope to be. Nuhiu has already scored nine goals this season, so the odds are he's going to equal Tudgay's best ever tally for us. If Nuhiu stays with us for five seasons and makes almost two hundred appearances, I'd back him to score more than the forty eight goals Tudgay scored for us.

You can't argue that Stevie May hasn't set the world alight, but give him the same number of games as Tudgay or Burton played, and again I'd back him to score more goals than either of them.

This Burton and Tudgay love in reminds me of the old adage, "The older I get, the better I was", because you could never actually accuse either of them as being brilliant. Between them, in a total of 306 appearances they scored 72 goals. Two strikers, 306 appearances, 72 goals, outstanding. Not.

spot on

Guest s11 owl

Remember them both in a win at wolves they were both unplayable

great away day that was, apart from the walk from the train station to the ground.......what a hole

Guest TommyTank

They held there own in the Championship.

If you are comparing them to the Premierships best pairings then yes they don't get close but at that time in the Championship they did very well for us.

We dropped like a stone when Burton left, poor decision by Mr Laws that.

How very strange. Burton's goal scoring record for us was really pretty atrocious, and Tudgay only scored double figures in one season, while with us. Nuhiu is not able to skip around like Tudgay did, because he's about a foot taller and four stones heavier, but I'd say is a far better footballer, skill wise, than Tudgay could ever hope to be. Nuhiu has already scored nine goals this season, so the odds are he's going to equal Tudgay's best ever tally for us. If Nuhiu stays with us for five seasons and makes almost two hundred appearances, I'd back him to score more than the forty eight goals Tudgay scored for us.

You can't argue that Stevie May hasn't set the world alight, but give him the same number of games as Tudgay or Burton played, and again I'd back him to score more goals than either of them.

This Burton and Tudgay love in reminds me of the old adage, "The older I get, the better I was", because you could never actually accuse either of them as being brilliant. Between them, in a total of 306 appearances they scored 72 goals. Two strikers, 306 appearances, 72 goals, outstanding. Not.

I agree with the above. It used to frustrate me so much how some fans purred over both of them, I just simply didn’t get it, whilst I agree both had their pluses (Burton held the ball up well and brought others into play, Tudgay was very good in the air and very occasionally scored a cracking goal) they just simply did not score enough goals either individually or collectively.

The season that Tudgay did manage to get into double figures (if memory serves me well I think it was 14 he scored) a number of those were penalties.

good players can play with anyone, Hirst and ???? was a good partnership. Same as Cole and ???? and Yorke and ???? Burton and Tudgay were good for us at that time but to be mentioned in the same breath as the others is delusional. Looking forward to next years Rhodes and Wickham partnership .....

Both of them part of the attack which saw us finish 9th in the Championship, our best League position for years.

Considering both of them cost less than 250k from Rotherham and Derby reserves I think they proved to be a good value for money. They were average strikers for an average side and I think we got the best out of them.

They were never out and out goalscorers, link up play and holding up of the ball was their game. 

I agree with the above. It used to frustrate me so much how some fans purred over both of them, I just simply didn’t get it, whilst I agree both had their pluses (Burton held the ball up well and brought others into play, Tudgay was very good in the air and very occasionally scored a cracking goal) they just simply did not score enough goals either individually or collectively.

The season that Tudgay did manage to get into double figures (if memory serves me well I think it was 14 he scored) a number of those were penalties.

That's the same for any striker though, I bet most of this seasons top scorers are also penalty takers.

Guest LEGEND

I remember speaking to Sturrock he said at the time Burton was good enough the premier league.

His touch was amazing. Very good footballing brain.

Both were ok but overall nothing sparkling.

Remember both of them liked to come deep too much when we needed someone who could lead the line a little more.

Tudgay has 3 seasons at Hillsborough. Was really good in his second season but the other two the game passed him by too much.

I remember when we sold him to Forest a lot of people were glad to get rid as he seemed to lose interest.