Trevor Francis

The cult of Francis

Nowhere near as good as the cult of megson

Its weird isn't it that for such a brilliant manager, he went on to achieve diddellysh!t once he left Hillsborough

francis did well at brum got them to the play -offs twice and a league cup final  .......i thought francis did well  at hillsboro but it probably was time for him to go when he did .

Look at the squad he inherited and the squad he left. After spending a hell of a lot of money he left us with a unbalanced squad with the likes of Des Walker partnering Andy Pearce - that's like parking a Ferrari next to a Skoda

easy to say that but the squad he inherited was an ageing side with the likes of wilson,anderson,shirty,francis ,pearson all the wrong side of 30 when he got rid add on worthington,palmer ,harkes walking out for better deals at other clubs chuck in nilsson getting homesick hirsty being permanantly injured all things  he had no control over  and it was always going to be tough to replace them . when you look at who he did sign waddle,warhurst,bright walker ,woods,sinton these were all quality players that sinton failed was francis´s bad luck .sure he made some not so good signings but tell me a manager who doesnt .

Look at the squad he inherited and the squad he left. After spending a hell of a lot of money he left us with a unbalanced squad with the likes of Des Walker partnering Andy Pearce - that's like parking a Ferrari next to a Skoda

Which has to be better than having 2 lada's!

People mention big nige in the legend status and that we should never have got rid, but he had become the Hillsborough scape-goat. He was the one that everyone blamed... for everything. At the time, he had to go. Whether Pearce was the right man I don't know, but his song was miles better than Pearsons!

add on worthington,palmer ,harkes walking out for better deals at other clubs chuck in nilsson getting homesick hirsty being permanantly injured

Worthingtons missus was the mole in the camp... He had to go

Harkes; again, he wasn't the player he was.

Palmer was a mistake, and I think this was the mistake. Palmer was obviously BFR's player and to get rid was to stamp his own mark

Worthingtons missus was the mole in the camp... He had to go

Harkes; again, he wasn't the player he was.

Palmer was a mistake, and I think this was the mistake. Palmer was obviously BFR's player and to get rid was to stamp his own mark

palmer went for the money leeds were offering ,the club could have held on to him but i think they could see which way the bosman ruling was going to go and cashed in on him for fear of him going for free at the end of the next season  .there was an interview with palmer(i think posted on here) and he said when he went to leeds it was the 1st time in his career he´d been on good money .........like i said earlier it was time for francis to go when he did but for him to cop so much flak by some in this thread is undeserved .

http://www.thefa.com/England/news/2004/thenandnow_andysinton

The myth about Sinton turning down the arse for us is not true, as confirmed above. He speaks positively about Hirst in the link as well.

The football under tricky Trev was breathtaking at times, some of the players he signed to replace legends were questionable admittedly but that 1993 season was amazing and certainly the best I've ever seen.

He shouldn't have been sacked and tbh neither should have Ron when he came back for the second time and kept us up. The blame for our demise isnt Francis or Atkinson its our spiteful ex chairman and current FA cronie Dave Richards.

I was told by someone at the club at the time, that after the Bad season (finished 13th in the Prem)Francis told the board that he needed some new fresh young blood in the squad as it wasn't getting any younger. The board decided that they'd get rid off him instead. It was also the board who refused to sign Cantona, Francis fetched him over to sign him, he was then told that club officials would not do so until they'd seen him play. Due to the weather conditions these officials never saw him in any of his non grass displays and still refused to sanction the signing, The rest is history.

After the 2 cup finals we needed a centre half, and a left winger. We signed the England centre half, and the England left winger. Des Walker, and Sinton. You can't argue with that kind of ambition.

We needed a centre half and a left winger (and a forward) two years earlier. Francis signed a keeper (that we didn't need), Warhurst (great when switched up front but error prone at the back) and Jemson. Had he made better signings back then I think he would have actually won something rather than being the nearly man.

Utter testicles, Big Ron managed to get that side relegated.

Francis was fantastic in his first couple of seasons, that was the best football we've played in decades, just a shame he lost the plot towards the end.[/quote

We got relegated in Ron's first full season in charge. He was still building the team. Nilsson, Sheridan and King all joined mid way thru that season. Then Wilson and Williams the following season in Div 2. I wonder who he would have signed had he not left and what we might have gone on to win.

He took us down then just scraped promotion

"just scraped promotion"!!!! Brilliant logic

Anything else happen that year you forgot to mention?

And how is it Francis can count losing cup finals and top 10 finishes on his cv yet large Ronald is judged on what he won?

Francis was a lucky man , he was in the right place at the right time , look what happened at QPR look what happened at B'ham where he was a playing legend ,he had one of the biggest budgets in the league and failed to "just scrape" promotion

Big Ron on the other hand left for Villa and showed as he did at Hillsborough and west brim how you rebuild and shape a team

Finishing runners up to Man U ( I think)

palmer went for the money leeds were offering ,the club could have held on to him but i think they could see which way the bosman ruling was going to go and cashed in on him for fear of him going for free at the end of the next season  .there was an interview with palmer(i think posted on here) and he said when he went to leeds it was the 1st time in his career he´d been on good money .........like i said earlier it was time for francis to go when he did but for him to cop so much flak by some in this thread is undeserved .

Absolutely Bang on there About TF getting some much stick on here.Also TF was SWFC's last long serving manager compared to the others after him who only lasted between  8 months and 2 years.

I don't see the point in arguing about Francis and Atkinson. They both contributed to a little golden era - when we were pretty much equals with the best - even pre-season tips for trophies!

Loved their time in charge and would love to shake their hands and tell them!