Stevie May

I don't get the obsession we have with wanting strikers that have plenty of pace. Any striker who is rapid AND also knows where the back of the net is will be playing in the Premier League or will be far out of our price range.

You can make up for lack of pace by keeping the ball and playing the right pass at the right time to someones feet. Something that we seem to be completely inept at once we cross the half way line

I would go along with that but we probably need to change the shape. We don't need two ponderous strikers when we could strengthen the midfield. When we've tried to accommodate Stevie May, we seem to have surrendered that control we had over matches. If we are going with a more conventional 442, then I do think one of the forwards has to have pace, as we won't be building through the midfield quite so often

I would go along with that but we probably need to change the shape. We don't need two ponderous strikers when we could strengthen the midfield. When we've tried to accommodate Stevie May, we seem to have surrendered that control we had over matches. If we are going with a more conventional 442, then I do think one of the forwards has to have pace, as we won't be building through the midfield quite so often

I think we should change the shape as well. Certainly at home to give us more of an attacking edge. Don't mind getting draws away but at home we should be trying to threaten teams more rather than worry about what they're going to throw at us.

I'm not going to slag off Gray or the players because they do look like they're trying. I just think we need to freshen things up a bit. Change the formation, try a few different players or in an ideal world bring a couple of new players in

Bit silly to refer to him as a scapegoat.

The issue is simply that he seems to be untouchable. He is hands down our worst first team regular. By a country mile too!

I'm not saying he won't get there, but he's absolutely nowhere near at the moment.

We can blame the midfield if you want, and nobody is saying we have that area sewn up by any means, but Maguire/Nuhiu/Madine/GTF/Drenthe/Maghoma all look so much more capable than May, and they're in the same team! So why are they all shuffled about, while May plays the full 90+ week in week out, regardless of how terribly he plays?

That's where the frustration (scapegoating) comes from.

MAY OUT!!!

I'd probably be saying similar things about Hope if he played every minute, by the way. So it's nothing personal.

May just needs looking after a bit, and easing in rather than being thrown in at the deep end. As others have said, he's taken a bit step up from scoring 30 goals for a pub side, to struggling to get a kick against defenders that won't let him take 3 touches to bring it under control, then have a think about what to do next.

Edited by George Whitebread

As a midfielder when you get the ball you should look up and see your striker/s on the toes of the centre backs or the shoulder of the full back.

Not stood next to you.

There lies the "problem" with Stevie May.

Positionally AWOL.

It's just a case of deciding if it's his fault or Gray's.

Seemed to get himself in plenty of good positions in Scotland.

How can May even be judged yet? He's feeding on scraps- and that's being generous.

Bit silly to refer to him as a scapegoat.

The issue is simply that he seems to be untouchable. He is hands down our worst first team regular. By a country mile too!

I'm not saying he won't get there, but he's absolutely nowhere near at the moment.

We can blame the midfield if you want, and nobody is saying we have that area sewn up by any means, but Maguire/Nuhiu/Madine/GTF/Drenthe/Maghoma all look so much more capable than May, and they're in the same team! So why are they all shuffled about, while May plays the full 90+ week in week out, regardless of how terribly he plays?

That's where the frustration (scapegoating) comes from.

MAY OUT!!!

Load of rubbish

How is it?

We lose possession pretty much every time the ball goes to him. He just dwells then loses it, panics and waves a foot hopefully, or doesn't even get there.

At least with the others, we retain possession occasionally.

He's a goalscorer. He's not a target man (Heskey)- he's a finisher (Owen/Fowler- no I'm not saying he's of that standard). He's getting no service and is clearly being asked to work his knackers off defensively rather then sitting on the shoulder of the last defender. When he gets the ball in and around the bow tie the ball at his feet he is ambitious and sharp but that rarely happens.

He'll take a way higher percentage of his chances than any other striker in our books, given opportunities but at the moment he's being starved.

He's the least of our problems offensively.

He's a goalscorer. He's not a target man (Heskey)- he's a finisher (Owen/Fowler- no I'm not saying he's of that standard). He's getting no service and is clearly being asked to work his knackers off defensively rather then sitting on the shoulder of the last defender. When he gets the ball in and around the bow tie the ball at his feet he is ambitious and sharp but that rarely happens.

He'll take a way higher percentage of his chances than any other striker in our books, given opportunities but at the moment he's being starved.

Probably sums it up, he's the least of our problems offensively None are really up to doing the business in this division, but of the four, yes he's the most likely to get a goal

Sorry, but I can't agree with the last statement at all. He's a massive part of the problem. He's doing nothing for us, whatsoever.

He's being starved because we're not good enough to put it on a plate for him. That's true. And he would put more away than anyone else. So what though. That's nit going to change any time soon.

Edited by George Whitebread

May isn't the problem at all, its a step up for him in the Championship and lets face it with our attacking credentials even the top strikers would struggle in our team.

11 goals conceded in the league. Best record in the Championship at the minute.

11 goals scored in the league. Only Blackpool have scored less.

^^^^^^^

THAT'S the problem. Imo We've not had a decent midfield since we had Brunt, Whelan and a fit Steve Watson in the team. Ever since we've been reliant upon loan signings, set pieces and huge slices of luck. We need a winger so we can move Maguire up front and we need an attacking center midfielder.

Whilst we're at it get shut of McCabe and Corry etc

Totally agree