Lee Novak

People don't want Lita because he's already been here, and wouldn't be an exciting, new signing. Regardless of how good he is/was. If Lita played 40 games at this level he would score at least 15 goals. Which is probably as many as Nuhiu and Madine would get combined.

This is a big season for Wednesday. Another season of abject mid table boredom will see the crowds drop right off. From an income viewpoint, we would be better off been in the bottom 3 until April, then just pulling away in the last few games.

WTF? Yeah we might get some big gates near the end if the season if we could go down, meanwhile the rest of the season would have been terrible due to the struggling team.

If we're mid-table most of the season, this means play-off possibility most of the season which is surely much better for gates

Anyone who thinks Lee Novak is the type of player to take us to the next level, had better prepare themselves for a bit of a let down. Would any championship club with top half aspirations really be interested in signing him?

I did just say that if you think he's poo poo then fair enough but he isn't a journey man

And I don't rate him

I don't know Lee Novak - I don't know half of the players discussed on here.

Were Steve Claridge & Steve Howard journeymen?

Would you have them in their pomp? Or just prior to them being in their prime?

What about Sam Vokes? He had two clubs prior to Burnley - but was out on loan to loads of Clubs too.

Was he an obvious choice to come good this season?

It seems to me that a lot of people want known, finished, developed players, now.

Lita, Sharp, Fryatt - whereas realistically don't we have to source players just 'prior' to them coming good.

There must be some out there?

Guest Sheff Owl

Anyone who thinks Lee Novak is the type of player to take us to the next level, had better prepare themselves for a bit of a let down. Would any championship club with top half aspirations really be interested in signing him?

He might not be great but he's more realistic than many of the names people keep mentioning.

We can't compete with most of the top half Championship teams, what we offer other teams will beat it and probably double it.

Talk of Fryatt, Dyer, Burke, Gardner, Roger Johnson, is nice but we will be lucky to get one of them if any.

What do you think our highest payed player is on? 8k maybe? (i don't know it's just a guess).

Guest UpTheOwlsss

Not fast

Decent in the air

Not a goalscorer

What would he bring?

Lita on a free would be better IMO

Or hopefully fryatt

Guest Sheff Owl

Journeyman, we get one of these every summer, thankfully they never materialise

So whats Roger Johnson then?

Wycombe, Cardiff, Birmingham, Wolves, Sheff Wed, West ham..

You would have him here but he's had the same amount of clubs as Novak, he must be a journeyman too.

Guest wilyfox

What do you think our highest payed player is on? 8k maybe? (i don't know it's just a guess).

Gray has already spoken about the possibility of biasing our budget towards a quality striker. Maybe he'll merge the wages of two players to push the boat out on one good one? However the does it, Novak won't push us to the next level.

In addition - having admitted that I don't have an encyclopdic knowledge of players.

Don't players have to fit into a pattern, squad, rythmn, that the coach wants to play?

A young Lee Chapman wouldn't excite me on paper - but he did brilliantly for us.

He'd scored 7 goals in his previous two seasons prior to joining us - Arsenal/Sunderland.

The point I'm trying to make is that really we don't know how any player will play at Hillsborough - we need to find some gems.

Isn't that what we all hope for from a new coach - or should he always play safe and buy high waged/fee'd players?

As I say - I don't know half of these players or how they would fit.

Let's hope Gray does.

Guest Sheff Owl

This is the sort of player we have to take a punt on with a lower-end budget - a solid professional, who is at the right age and might just surprise.

Not sure we can justify paying a fee though.

Exactly.

This is may point, i'm not saying Novak is the answer but we want 5 or 6 quality players, we have to be clever about it, we have a low budget and have to spread it out. 

Gray has said we want hungry players, i would imagine that would include players with something to prove (ie Youngsters released from Premiership maybe?)

Whatever he's like, I feel sorry for the poor sod. As usual, he's been condemned by a majority of the fan-base, most of whom have not even seen him play, but that's the Wednesday way. 

As a life-long supporter of Wednesday, I'm afraid that is the way we greet a signing. Were we to sign Messi, he would still be crap to a lot of our fans.

Why any player would want to sign for us is something I cannot understand. 

Whatever he's like, I feel sorry for the poor sod. As usual, he's been condemned by a majority of the fan-base, most of whom have not even seen him play, but that's the Wednesday way. 

As a life-long supporter of Wednesday, I'm afraid that is the way we greet a signing. Were we to sign Messi, he would still be crap to a lot of our fans.

Why any player would want to sign for us is something I cannot understand.

I actually think there is a lot of truth in this.

I understand that people should have an opinion - but for some of them, it's so definitive.