The one-off Wednesday kit that never was...

Guest owlspintpuller

So my understanding is that other images aren't allowed. But I doubt they can give a justification as to why, it's not politically motivated or anything like that. Crackers! More rules for the sake of rules by the fa!!!

Here's the specific rule, not sure if its been changed or updated since our idea:

The following advertising is permitted:

1. Club emblem and name

(i) On football boots

The officially designated Club emblem (or part thereof), name, initials, nickname or a trademark registered by the Club, or a combination of such, may appear without restriction.

(ii) On all other Clothing

The officially designated Club emblem (or part thereof), name, initials, nickname or a trademark registered by the Club, or a combination of such, may appear:

1. Once only on the front of the shirt, providing it does not exceed an area of 100 square centimetres; (see fig 1, page 14) and

2. Once only anywhere on the shorts providing it does not exceed an area of 50 square centimetres; (see fig 2, page 14) and

3. Once only on each sock providing it does not exceed an area of 50 square centimetres. (See fig 3, page 14)

An additional officially designated Club emblem (or part thereof), name, initials, nickname or a trademark registered by the Club, or a combination of such, may appear on each sock or on any cap worn by a goalkeeper providing it does not exceed an area of 50 square centimetres and, where it appears on a sock, is covered when a football boot is worn. (see Fig 4, page 14)

4. Once only on each sock tie-up providing it does not exceed an area of 100 square centimetres. The sock tie-up may show the Player’s name, Player’s squad number, Competition name, sponsor designation and date of match or any combination of the same. Clubs must receive the approval of the Competition for the use of sock tie-ups.

The officially designated Club emblem (or part thereof), name, initials, nickname, a trademark registered by the Club or web site address, may appear once only on the collar or collar zone of a shirt and/or tracksuit, provided such does not exceed an area of 12 square centimetres (see Fig 5, page 14).

5. The club may incorporate one of its types of club identification or parts thereof, in jacquard weave form, as tonal print or by embossing the shirt and/or shorts. There is no limitation as to the number, size and positioning of the type of club identification chosen. The design of such jacquard weave may also be the names of individuals (e.g. club supporter) providing each is limited to 20 square centimetres, with unlimited repeats being acceptable. Clubs must receive the approval of the Competition to apply the names of individuals into a jacquard weave or similar technique. The jacquard weave must be incorporated in the main colour and/or in one of the minor colours. It must not dominate, contain a contrasting colour, or affect the distinctiveness of the kit.  

Full rules here: http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/kit-advertising/the-fa-kit-and-advertising-regulations-2013-14.ashx

Was going through some old stuff earlier and stumbled across this little gem I'd almost forgotten about.

Basically, this was going to be a special Wednesday kit in the 2010/11 season.

I don't think theres any harm in sharing with fellow fans as it unfortunately never happened (and never will happen) so it does no damage to share.

attachicon.gifSheridan_Kit_1.jpg

My idea back then was that a special kit would be produced to be utilised as our 'flip' kit (clubs are allowed to have a change of kit once per season, usually used for adding a charity badge to the shirt to auction off in support of that charity) that year to celebrate the anniversary of the 1991 League Cup win.

I helped design the kit with the help of the team at Genesis/Puma and some others at Wednesday. The shirt was to have the famous image of John Sheridan lifting the trophy printed into the fabric of the shirt, like a watermark (remember the old Man Utd shirt around 1997 with Old Trafford embossed in it? A bit like that... but better). For the image to be visible Wednesday would have resorted to a plain-blue shirt for one game only. The Wednesday badge on the shirt would have 'League Cup Winners - 21 April 1991' embroidered under it and had a 'locker tag' stitched to the hem with embroidered details of the game.

attachicon.gifHem_Locker_Tag.jpg attachicon.gifUnder_Badge_Embroidery.jpg

It was planned to wear this one-off kit for the closest Saturday home game to the anniversary of the cup win (21 April 1991) and so we would have worn it against Hartlepool United on 16 April 2011. We planned, if possible, that the secret would be kept and no-one told about it - the first fans would have known was when the team came onto the pitch for the game wearing it, creating a buzz and getting people talking about it. The stadium announcer would have explained and possibly we'd have had an applause in celebration of the anniversary or something.

A limited edition number of one thousand nine-hundred and ninety one (1991, get it?) replica shirts would have been produced and put on sale in the Megastore on the actual anniversary (21 April) for fans to buy if they wanted one. I can't remember if a final retail price was agreed, but I think there was talk of it being £45 (opposed to the usual £39.99 for replica kit) due to the extra expense of bespoke production and the limited nature of the kit. The 'swing ticket' on the shirt would have been bespoke and had the game details and images on, as well as a mini-bio of Sheridan himself.

attachicon.gifSwing_Ticket.jpg

The match kit worn by the team for the Hartlepool game would have all been signed up and auctioned for charity.

Alas though, it wasn't to be... Even though the designs were made and production was about to start when we got the go ahead we couldn't get permission to use the change of kit. Hartlepool United agreed to us changing the kit for that game, The Football League gave the go ahead... but unfortunately The FA's rules on what you can and can't have on a kit meant they couldn't give us permission to use the image.

From memory, whilst a club can utilise its own badge and trademark imagery as a watermark in the design of a shirt (hence the owl used on the 'silver' Away shirt a couple of years after), other images aren't allowed. We appealed the decision and the FA Executive Board agreed to look into it (we argued our position that it fundamentally was a club image and with examples such as the earlier Man Utd/Old Trafford kit, however the rules had apparently changed since that kit was released), unfortunately they couldn't grant permission for the design and the whole thing was scrapped. :(

Anyway, I thought I would share with you the idea for posterity... Thoughts?

attachicon.gifSheridan_Kit.jpg

sorry hit the wrong bl**dy button... :blush:

my thoughts are maybe a tad harsh.

But i find it really frustrating that you put so much endeavor, time, effort into this whole thing, (im sure it would have been great) BUT, didnt bother to find out copyright rules at the very beginning of your journey. the rule was already there.

so the FA didnt have a problem with anything else about the whole thing, merely the image on the shirt?

seems tragic that all your work/ effort was doomed from the very start, due to lack of homework on your part.

Lesson learned for future i suppose, and to be fair, ive made some monumental foook-ups of my own in my time.

mind, i try & forget about them. 

It's no wonder we can't turn a profit when people employed by the club are allowed to spend time and money taking a project like this to the verge of production without checking the rules first!

(Sorry James, couldn't resist!).

Surprised it wasn't adapted as a general merchandise sale shirt at the time though.

Im glad we didn't have that kit. It would have made us look small time

Too many fans are stuck in the past, we need to look forward now and stop harping back to the early 90's

We're the footballing equivalent of les Dennis, doing well for himself in the early 90's, nailing Amanda Holden. Now look at him, he's in a reyt tangle and waking up to Gail Platt on a morning

Edited by Stoop kid

It was a great time, but the mindset of alot of the clubs fans is stuck between 1991 and 1994. You only have to walk into the club shop and they've got those season's highlights on a continuous loop on the various TV's scattered around. Signed pictures and canvases of waddle. Hirst and Sheridan are all over the place, you can even buy the shirts from back then

Football's moved on, and anyone who went to the etihad the other month can tell you how fast it has gone and left us behind in the last 20 years

I'll always look back on those days with great fondness but its got abit obsessive with alot of fans. Its time to look forward abit

19 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Was asked about this the other day so thought I would bump it for those who never knew about this.

Maybe something similar for a game around the 30th Anniversary next year (subject to football actually coming back by then)??

It's a shame the kit was never made, would be great to see something like this done for the 30th anniversary.

Its hard to imagine its been so long since that great day. It was a real privilege to be at that game, so grateful my Dad got the tickets.

I made this Shez art piece a few years back, might make a nice commemorative print. 

shez print CWL 1.jpeg