Dave Jones - Back to Making Baffling Decisions

Guest LeamingtonOwl

I'm not saying we've got the best crosses of the ball in world, but they can cross.

Furthermore, i would suggest that our game is not really based on a winger who finds space and crosses all the time. Instead, our wingers run at full backs and try and get balls in from the by-line, or cut inside and make things happen, when this pays off its lethal, when it doesn't fans are crying out for balls to be put in the box all the time.

Indeed, last night was not a game to pummel balls into the box, despite having the big lad up top (and Madine when he came on), as this would have been 'food and drink' to their big centre backs.

Suppose this is the point I made in another thread, our whole game is very predictable. We're a one trick pony and that's our downfall.

We are over reliant on JJ/Antonio/Helan being our wingers, our creators and our forwards. This formation just highlights how our wingers are over relied upon, and once defenders master how to stop them (which was quite quickly last night) then our game is flawed. This lead to our lack of chances last night. 

Call me old fashioned, but I'd just like to see us go for a standard 4-4-2 formation.

But what do I know? I've not got any coaching badges.... lol  

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

The Holy Grail of a football supporter is being contrary in hindsight. Whatever we didn't do would have ensured victory had we done it and it was obvious even before the kick-off.

If all the teams in a division did exactly the same things, one would still finish top of the table and another would end up at the bottom.

Totally. 

And, what also happens is that some fans choose to ignore the good decisions that a player/manager/coach/chairman makes over a season and instead they choose to focus in on things that go wrong. This then enables them to fit specific circumstances around their own agenda. It's as clear as the day is long.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

I have little faith in Jones, but even I think you are getting tedious.

Ten or twelve games in and we will have a real picture and he will have few excuses.

I really hope he Succeeds, but I fear not.

I have little faith in Jones, but even I think you are getting tedious.

Ten or twelve games in and we will have a real picture and he will have few excuses.

I really hope he Succeeds, but I fear not.

^ this is excactly how I feel. Anti Jones threads are ridiculous in early August. Give the squad a chance FFS.

most of your points are garbage as usual. but the crossing problem is there for all to see. crossing is flipping easy- work out where you want to put the ball, then concentrate solely on connecting with the ball properly. same as volleying. to be fair, it can't help that our wingers game is based purely on pace. its much more difficult to do these two things when you're running fast. does seem strange that we've brought helan and maghoma in , who seem very similar to jj and antonio... 

I suppose we should have beat Rotherham. We could have been drawn Premier League opposition in the next round, we'd lose, but at least everyone would have said "be reyt, it was a Premier League team".

It's better to end the torture now than to prolong it.

It's trendy to hate on LeamingtonOwl - but he's bang on the money about Coke and Prutton.

We're going nowhere quickly if we have to rely on them to dictate games.

To be fair to Jones, Mandaric and Aldridge though, everything suggest that they are well aware of this and that we're trying to bring a central midfielder in.