Bernard's Protest - Photo

You do realise he has mental issues?

You think the Club shouldn't make allowances for that?

Shall get rid of wheelchair access too?

Absolutely. But that's no excuse for the personal abuse aimed at Lee Bullen and Andy Daykin. If Bernard apologises then I'm sure the ban will be overturned.

Guest wadsleybridgeowl

attachicon.gifSheffield Wednesday vs Brighton-310.jpg

Had a good chat with Bernard this afternoon..

What was meant to be a quick 5 minute chat turned into a 30 minute adventure including bits where he shouted 'Mick Jagger' at JJ as he arrived at the ground (pictured above)

"Mick Jagger !!!"

PS - he brought a deckchair with him and sat across the road from the South Stand protesting against his ban

Whats oministration mean?

Bernard is definately a few slices short of a loaf and may indeed be victim of some form of dimensia or mental affliction. I have been of occosted by him loads of times (get your hand in your pocket you tight bugger, youv'e got x wrong, your not doin enough) but never felt he was abusive or threatening. Infact I find his heckling of the clubs administration during matches as highly amusing (including while I was involved at the club).

The official story is he has been banned for foul and abusive language, the problem I have with that is to single out a high profile (good move) but very old and infirm, potential mentally ill fan (bad move) while maintaining a passive stance (doing bugger all) on foul and abusive language elsewhere in the ground is pure policy hypocrisy (incredibly bad move).

Policy hypocracy - yup - yesterday I took my 5 year old son to the game and 2meters away from me and also a couple of stewards a fellow Wednesdayite was effin in jeffin at full volume for large parts of the game.

I have been in and around the south stand for pretty much all of the last 20years and Bernard's eccentric and distinctive behaviour has been a constant and consistent presence throughout that time.

Regards

Lee

Bernard is definately a few slices short of a loaf and may indeed be victim of some form of dimensia or mental affliction. I have been of occosted by him loads of times (get your hand in your pocket you tight bugger, youv'e got x wrong, your not doin enough) but never felt he was abusive or threatening. Infact I find his heckling of the clubs administration during matches as highly amusing (including while I was involved at the club).

The official story is he has been banned for foul and abusive language, the problem I have with that is to single out a high profile (good move) but very old and infirm, potential mentally ill fan (bad move) while maintaining a passive stance (doing bugger all) on foul and abusive language elsewhere in the ground is pure policy hypocrisy (incredibly bad move).

Policy hypocracy - yup - yesterday I took my 5 year old son to the game and 2meters away from me and also a couple of stewards a fellow Wednesdayite was effin in jeffin at full volume for large parts of the game.

I have been in and around the south stand for pretty much all of the last 20years and Bernard's eccentric and distinctive behaviour has been a constant and consistent presence throughout that time.

Regards

Lee

And all joking aside, thats why how Bernard has been dealt with sits uncomortably.

We have all seen club employees (Stewards) turn a blind eye to foul and abusive language for years.

Incredibly difficult for the club, but we either have a policy or we don't. Can't just apply it when it suits.

Guest Deleted member

It is, but if Bernard wont accept any responsibility what can the club do?

You heard both sides yesterday. You're probably the only person who has, other than the journalist who wrote story.

Are you now fully in agreement with the ban?

You heard both sides yesterday. You're probably the only person who has, other than the journalist who wrote story.

Are you now fully in agreement with the ban?

I've not heard the clubs side to be fair - not as a whole - I've just heard numerous examples of what Bernard has done 

I interviewed Bernard for about 20 minutes as I wanted his side of the story (just out of interest) after hearing that Victoria woman and the other fella on Radio Sheffield the other night spouting some total nonsense about Lee Bullen etc

Owlstalk Shop

if this situation is to be addressed sensibly on here I agree with Neil any accusations of his mental well being need to curbed a bit

I think anyone who has been around him knows there's an issue, how it's dealt with is going to be very difficult to balance the rights of a loyal old timer against the rights of fellow supporters who have to put up with him - just glad I'm not having  to decide because I can see this getting nastier 

Bit of a contradiction there?

He has mental problems - but no excuse?

Not a problem with him generally for me. He's a character and he's entertaining. There should be an apology for the direct abuse though. If he apologises then I'm sure his ban will be lifted.

Keep bringing his mental health issues up is disgusting.

If his sons or daughters read this ( if he has any) would be very dissapointed I would imagine.

Guest intercity0wl

Just move him onto kop. He'll soon blend in on there.

Exactly, there is an oppinion being expressed in another thread that the atmosphere at German games are better, supposedly because all the songs and chants coming down from the large terraces ( only on the terraces tho) are charming little Bier Keller ditties, they are not, they are of the same nature if not wors than what is heard over here. its accepted as being part of the football experience, because as in most other Countries  there is no all out assault on sanitising the game

i dont think its his comments that are the problem, just the directors box, or south stand in general probably aint the best place to sit if voicing a loud oppinion is part of your game plan, Met bernard a few times and eccentric is how i preffer to refer to him :biggrin:  

As I have known Bernard for a long time I had a word with him yesterday . He seems to be just as he always is.

One of the facts about him is that he still kept up his season ticket while he was working in Canada!! i had forgotten about this.

Yes he is cranky and stubborn but I agree with LS, it was a folks  pass of the worst order to ban him and other more foul mouthed fans are not even spoken to.

Thinking about it at my age and greying beard I had better stop refering to the "Game Officials " as dolls heads in case somebody in authority may jump to the wrong conclusion!!

said in another thread they should move him up on to the Kop near fishcake. They would get on like a house on fire, and i don't mean that in a nasty way. Fishcake comes out with some reyt nonesense at times, but not abusive and he don't use foul language, but up there on the Kop he is accepted, and if he does step over the mark he is told to quieten down.

Keep bringing his mental health issues up is disgusting.

If his sons or daughters read this ( if he has any) would be very dissapointed I would imagine.

Why, my Father is senile - is not mentioning hi senility going to make me feel better?

There has been plenty of anecdotal stories on here about Bernard. And, plenty from his friends about his behaviour.

Would it make you feel better if he was called 'eccentric'.

Is 'mental issues' now an offensive term?

Edited by ReadingOwl