Bernard's Protest - Photo

I sit near him and agree 100% with this. It's easy to comment sympathetically if you don't have to put up with it every match. I once challenged his behaviour and was subjected to nothing but abuse for months after and he doesn't do it in good humour.

Yes, but society is supposed to accommodate people like that, (all the more accommodating if you don't have to sit near him) 

Why, my Father is senile - is not mentioning hi senility going to make me feel better?

There has been plenty of anecdotal stories on here about Bernard. And, plenty from his friends about his behaviour.

Would it make you feel better if he was called 'eccentric'.

Is 'mental issues' now an offensive term?

Because people don't know his medical history.

Guest D.J.Nick1212

Totally agree with the posts Nigel and Lee have written on this subject. I sat directtly in front of Bernard at an AGM once and Lee gave the opportunity for Bernard to rant and rave and harangue him for at least 2 minutes. Attending football is not tantamount to attending church; we should embrace diversity as being a supporter gives some fans the opportunity to release pent-up frustrations, for others it constitutes an opportunity to belong and enjoy a benign form of tribal warfare, for others it is their own personal panacea, for some it is just an attempt to escape reality for a few hours, etc. You should expect to meet all kinds of folk at a football match, including the bizarre, eccentric and downright irritating/annoying. That's part of attending football matches. Let's not start banning fans under these criteria; it is a dangerous precedent to set. From Sammy in the 70s to Tango and Fishcake today, most of our fans have always embraced and tried to see the funny side to bizarre behaviour and accepted eccentricity. Some say a society should be judged by how it responds to and tolerates minority groups. That should apply to football clubs as well!

There is a big differance between eccentric and abusive aggressive! This guy is like the odd bloke that's you see now and again that shouts at the birds and goes through the bins, it's funny to watch but you wouldn't want to be stuck with him for an afternoon every other week! I wonder if the people that are sticking up for him have ever had to put up with his 90 minutes of anger and abuse!

The reason he's been banned is because he was directly abusive.

If it was for his general behaviour then he would have been banned long before now, but understanding has been shown on that front.

If any of us directly abused someone in the way Bernard did then we would be dealt with in exactly the same way.

There is a big differance between eccentric and abusive aggressive! This guy is like the odd bloke that's you see now and again that shouts at the birds and goes through the bins, it's funny to watch but you wouldn't want to be stuck with him for an afternoon every other week! I wonder if the people that are sticking up for him have ever had to put up with his 90 minutes of anger and abuse!

Many many times in much more dangerous parts of the world but that is another story. Once we went to all-seater stadiums, this was always going to be an issue. Some people can't tolerate the band, others can't stand opinionated people with different views than themselves, others are offended by another list of factors, it goes on and on. Some people change seats for such reasons, we all have different tolerance levels. I wouldn't choose to sit by Bernard, but could I sit by him and still enjoy the game? Yes! In fact I have sat by him, just as I once sat in front of Fishcake at Hull away and he shouted "one Roland Nilsson, 2 Roland .........." incessantly for 90minutes. I have stood next to Sammy on the Kop many times too and I just accept this is what going to a footie match entails. If I went to a cinema or the theatre, of course I couldn't tolerate it but we are talking of a completely different context!

Many many times in much more dangerous parts of the world but that is another story. Once we went to all-seater stadiums, this was always going to be an issue. Some people can't tolerate the band, others can't stand opinionated people with different views than themselves, others are offended by another list of factors, it goes on and on. Some people change seats for such reasons, we all have different tolerance levels. I wouldn't choose to sit by Bernard, but could I sit by him and still enjoy the game? Yes! In fact I have sat by him, just as I once sat in front of Fishcake at Hull away and he shouted "one Roland Nilsson, 2 Roland .........." incessantly for 90minutes. I have stood next to Sammy on the Kop many times too and I just accept this is what going to a footie match entails. If I went to a cinema or the theatre, of course I couldn't tolerate it but we are talking of a completely different context!

We can all tolerate sitting by someone with whom we would prefer not to for the odd match but try doing it every 2 weeks for year after year. I think those who sit around him have been extremely tolerant, as has the club.

He should be banned.

One game last season me and my mate saw him beat the living hell out of a traffic cone outside the south with his walking stick then walked upto us and just said "showed the bugger" and walked off. Mad as a box of frogs that man.

flipping hell lock the guy up and throw away the key.

Well said that mate.

We can all tolerate sitting by someone with whom we would prefer not to for the odd match but try doing it every 2 weeks for year after year. I think those who sit around him have been extremely tolerant, as has the club.

Fair enough, that is a good point. I can only say that if I personally found it intolerable I would request to move my season ticket rather than use my despair as a catalyst for getting a fellow supporter banned.

The guy might be a bit crackers but hes been a season ticker holder for over 50 years. The club surely can handle this a bit better than they are.

Exactly, this is a dangerous precedent to set and I am extremely unhappy about it.

How unhappy on a scale of one to ten?

Not relevant but the "how" question you posed is. I don't know the answer to that but every organisation should have someone experienced in conflict resolution and customer relations. Perhaps it needs someone experienced in dealing with such recalcitrant individuals, or experienced in disability or mental health issues, whatever is most appropriate, in order to address this and reach out to Bernard. I have no idea whether they can succeed but at this stage every effort should be made. Busy for the rest of day so I'm out now!

How?

Give Bernard a box....folk pay £40 for a game in the Bernard box...with Bernard....last one out wins...and gets a free Bernie Balti pie....WE can use Bernard to the advantage of the club....you get Bernies half time team talk "Attack Attack Attack"....you can stroke his beard for a fiver...its limitless this bugger.......