Bernard's Protest - Photo

What do you think - seriously?

Do you class his behaviour as normal?

May be eccentric? Too many people who are eccentric are being classed as mental health difficulties.

However, if people behave out of the norm of what society expects that shouldn't be a problem. It's only a problem if that behaviour is offensive, upsetting and harmful.

I wasn't there but if that behaviour displayed by Bernard was doing the above then a compromise should be reached. If a compromise can't be reach then I suppose the club has to act in a way they see fit.

What do you think - seriously?

Do you class his behaviour as normal?

So as his behaviour is not 'normal' he must have a mental illness?

Not every person who is eccentric and has a strange sense of humour is mentally ill.

I dont know Bernard from Adam having never met him, but if he held down a job in a fairly dangerous environment such as down the pit, then he must be able to moderate his behaviour enough to hold down a job - he even had the wherewithal to move to s different country for 4 years to work.

If he is able to modulate his behaviour to work most of his life, but refuses to do this at Hillsborough, then its his choice to act how he does. His unwillingness to change (as per his interview with Neil) doesnt leave the club with much choice.

Guest chuckie4570

They haven't mate - it was behind the wall

He'd tied it to the fence

It cost him £70 (genuinely) and was double sided with a very amusing slogan on the back

What was wrote on the other side?

So as his behaviour is not 'normal' he must have a mental illness?

Not every person who is eccentric and has a strange sense of humour is mentally ill.

I dont know Bernard from Adam having never met him, but if he held down a job in a fairly dangerous environment such as down the pit, then he must be able to moderate his behaviour enough to hold down a job - he even had the wherewithal to move to s different country for 4 years to work.

If he is able to modulate his behaviour to work most of his life, but refuses to do this at Hillsborough, then its his choice to act how he does. His unwillingness to change (as per his interview with Neil) doesnt leave the club with much choice.

He is 77 and behaves like that? Sits outside the ground with a placard.

OK - he is just eccentric.

You win.

He's only banned until the end of this season, isn't he?

Maybe he should have thought about the consequences of acting like he did before abusing various other spectators.  

No sympathy.

**** me.

Seriously.

Guest JunglisticOwl

The bottom line is that whilst clearly being pretty annoying he's been banned because he insulted powerful people in the club. I can see why they're afronted but it's an abuse of power.

Just move him onto kop. He'll soon blend in on there.

100% this!!!

I don't know the full story (from either side). But I find it very hard to believe he is any worse than a lot of ppl we hear on the Kop every week.

I really do think that this has more to do with where he is sitting.

C'mon Owlstalkers lets sort it out and find a solution for everyone.

WAWAW remember this saying . well it's a joke . 3 factions kopite , north stand and south stand and everyone slagging each other off . football is about passion for your team letting off steam being with your friends and fellow wednesdayites on a saturday afternoon . there aint one person on here who has never sworn at a football match . bring bernard back , come on wednesday be the bigger man . 

He is 77 and behaves like that? Sits outside the ground with a placard.

OK - he is just eccentric.

You win.

**** me.

Seriously.

Nah Reading. You can not assume he is mentally ill. The sitting outside the ground with a placard is protesting and a million mile off from being mentally ill.

Guest D.J.Nick1212

Me and my dad once had the misfortune of sitting just in front of him for a Cup game a couple of seasons ago! He started with shouting his "attack " saying as soon as the game started, he never shut up for any longer than a few seconds! He has an annoying high pitched booming voice! Every one around us including us were sick to death of him by about 10 minutes!

I can imagine if his abuse was aimed directly at me I would want him thrown out! As it was we moved seats at half time!

We have season tickets on the Kop and have had for 25 years and if he were sat near us on there and came out with his nonsense he would have been told to shut it many times over by the fans on there!

In short I think his behaviour is not acceptable! I think when he comes back next season he will only think he's got a score to settle and will end up getting banned again!

It sounds like a feel sorry story for an old man but the blokes a vicious tempered angry old man that if was in he's 30's would be deemed as a thug!

I'm incredibly glad I don't sit any where near him as he would 100% spoil my match day and I'd end up complaining about him or having to move seats to get away from him!

In my opinion he needs to see the error of his ways or accept that now he's been highlighted, he will keep getting kicked out!

Edited by D.J.Nick1212

Me and my dad once had the misfortune of sitting just in front of him for a Cup game a couple of seasons ago! He started with shouting his "attack " saying as soon as the game started, he never shut up for any longer than a few seconds! He has an annoying high pitched booming voice! Every one around us including us were sick to death of him by about 10 minutes!

I can imagine if his abuse was aimed directly at me I would want him thrown out! As it was we moved seats at half time!

We have season tickets on the Kop and have had for 25 years and if he were sat near us on there and came out with his nonsense he would have been told to shut it many times over by the fans on there!

In short I think his behaviour is not acceptable! I think when he comes back next season he will only think he's got a score to settle and will end up getting banned again!

It sounds like a feel sorry story for an old man but the blokes a vicious angry old man that if was in he's 30's would be deemed as a thug!

I'm incredibly glad I don't sit any where near him as he would 100% spoil my match day and I'd end up complaining about him or having to move seats to get away from him!

In my opinion he needs to see the error of his ways or accept that now he's been highlighted, he will keep getting kicked out!

anyone ever sat near would have to agree

tbh it's his age that saves him from abuse

Totally agree with the posts Nigel and Lee have written on this subject. I sat directtly in front of Bernard at an AGM once and Lee gave the opportunity for Bernard to rant and rave and harangue him for at least 2 minutes. Attending football is not tantamount to attending church; we should embrace diversity as being a supporter gives some fans the opportunity to release pent-up frustrations, for others it constitutes an opportunity to belong and enjoy a benign form of tribal warfare, for others it is their own personal panacea, for some it is just an attempt to escape reality for a few hours, etc. You should expect to meet all kinds of folk at a football match, including the bizarre, eccentric and downright irritating/annoying. That's part of attending football matches. Let's not start banning fans under these criteria; it is a dangerous precedent to set. From Sammy in the 70s to Tango and Fishcake today, most of our fans have always embraced and tried to see the funny side to bizarre behaviour and accepted eccentricity. Some say a society should be judged by how it responds to and tolerates minority groups. That should apply to football clubs as well!

Correct me if I'm wrong but he insulted people at the ground despite repeated warnings.  He was then ejected and banned for the rest of the season and is now claiming his ban is because of his age?

I suspect Bernard isn't a lawyer - I suspect he may well be confused (in an eccentric, not mental issue way).

I suspect his behaviour may as a result of his disability (eccentricity - not mental issues).

Discrimination on grounds of disability can be unlawful - unless proportionate, or the discriminator cannot mitigate.

If represented, it would be a very interesting case IMO.

It sounds like a feel sorry story for an old man but the blokes a vicious tempered angry old man that if was in he's 30's would be deemed as a thug!

I sit near him and agree 100% with this. It's easy to comment sympathetically if you don't have to put up with it every match. I once challenged his behaviour and was subjected to nothing but abuse for months after and he doesn't do it in good humour.