A warning

Got to give him until the new year. If we get >10 points from the rest of November and December then he should be given the the transfer window and rest of season. If we get less than 8 points, and performances have got worse, then you can look at sacking him.

What if we get nine?

Surviving by the skin of our teeth would be a relief but it would mean that Jones has achieved the bare minimum and only just.

I do feel for him though and I get the OPs point that they are responding but for whatever reason we just don't have any confidence in the final third. Under Sturrock we had a similar issue until Tudgay and Burton were signed.

The performances are much, much better, as is the goal difference. Obviously those things don't keep you up. But they suggest that we have been unlucky. Luck doesn't even itself out over short time periods. It is more likely to over a season. If that happens we will be fine.

Yes the performances are better now than under Laws as is the goal difference but the fact still remains that under that previous dreadful run we were 2 points better off than we are now.

Fans can throw forward various stats and argue the point that we are playing well and creating chances (which I accept we are) but the fact remains that on current form, we are the worst side in the division and are going through an horrific run of form that's alomst 3 months long.

At the end of the day, the only stat that matters is the score line and regardless of how well we are playing, we've developed a knack of losing pretty much every week.

My main worry is that we'll see a situation arrive here as we did under Laws and Irvine, where results don't pick up and we all look back and agree in hindsight that he probably got the sack a month too late.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope he turns things around but I have a very bad feeling that I'm right.

Fans can argue that changing manager won't improve anything but this is purely guess work and in all fairness things can't get much worse than they are at present.

AT the beggining of the season we were winning and apart from the leaking of goals you could say we were doing the job ,now all that was changed after the loss against Pallarse ,when jones started tinkering even to the extent of changeing the whole team bar Antonio ,now the problem to me was why feck about with the team who are scoring

and winning some over one loss, would it not have been more sensible to shore the defence up by bringing a quality defender/defenders on loan rather than a midfielder and bothroyd ,just my opinion

We didnt lose 5-0 at Leicester. It was 3-0.

And i'm pretty sure the 9 man match was against Yeovil not MK Dons.

Edited by pops55

The Precautionary Approach

10,000 BC...Two cavemen are sat waiting to go the match..lets call oneBigguns and the other robswfc.

BG..."somethings go to change, I was thinking about what would happen if I rubbed these two sticks together and knocked the corners off these square bits of rock".

robswfc..."You want change in the completely blind hope that change itself will make things better. But change may very well make things worse, and may condemn us to relegation (whatever that is). There is such a thing called the 'precautionary approach'. This states that in the absence of consensus that an action is harmful or not harmful, the burden of proof that it is not harmful falls on those taking the action. If we are going around rubbing sticks together and knocking corners off rock, we need to be sure we are not going to make the situation worse. We can't be sure of that because the situation can still get worse. So leave those sticks and stones alone and come back here to eat this raw meat,its a long walk to the match."

very good

How much time do you give him then?

I bumped into an old mate at Forrest on Saturday, and we were discussing this very point. He was adamant that DJ should get at least another 2 full seasons and only then look at where we are at. He is absolutely convinced that DJ is the man to take us forward medium/long term even if in the short term we are relegated again, to build anything for the future he maintains that we need a long period of stability [citing the last 10 -15 years as proof that changing the manager frequently only acheives relative success in the short term]. He's clearly at one end of the spectrum, the fans who wanted DJ out after the Hull game are at the other end in my opinion. I had in my mind a points target we should achieve by the Boro game [very crude I know] we fell short despite managing to beat two worse teams than ourselves. I now have now set Dave a new target of at least 10 points by Christmas and I don't care how we get them, [for DJM.....scruffy undeserved 1 nils, dodgy penalties, in off someones arse doesn't matter] we just need the points. For me if we are on 25 points after the Charlton match I would give him the rest of this season and hope that there are three worse teams than us by May 4th.

I bumped into an old mate at Forrest on Saturday, and we were discussing this very point. He was adamant that DJ should get at least another 2 full seasons and only then look at where we are at. He is absolutely convinced that DJ is the man to take us forward medium/long term even if in the short term we are relegated again, to build anything for the future he maintains that we need a long period of stability [citing the last 10 -15 years as proof that changing the manager frequently only acheives relative success in the short term]. He's clearly at one end of the spectrum, the fans who wanted DJ out after the Hull game are at the other end in my opinion. I had in my mind a points target we should achieve by the Boro game [very crude I know] we fell short despite managing to beat two worse teams than ourselves. I now have now set Dave a new target of at least 10 points by Christmas and I don't care how we get them, [for DJM.....scruffy undeserved 1 nils, dodgy penalties, in off someones arse doesn't matter] we just need the points. For me if we are on 25 points after the Charlton match I would give him the rest of this season and hope that there are three worse teams than us by May 4th.

Your mate didn't cite Sir Alex Ferguson, did he?

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

Would be happy with that. It's just the thought of him not doing so and being too late to change that I'm more worried about.

x2] Totally agree.

I'd more than be happy, if I was proved wrong by DJ and the team.

All I want is for Wednesday to do well, regardless of who is the manager or who plays for us.

But atm, I can't see us getting out of it anytime soon.

And before the transfer window reopens in January, there's a good bet MM might be looking for a new man.

Edited by Sweet&TenderOwl

A lot of you are going to look pretty foolish when DJ turns things around!

If he does I would be one of the first on here to congratulate him and admit I was wrong (i reg'd on here in May and most of my posts then were in huge praise of DJ and the team but some of the bizarre happenings this season have made me very wary of his chances of taking us any further). Just as long as if he takes us down the DJ supporters reciprocate.