A warning

Irvine & Laws acheived pretty similar league positions that DJ has so far managed to produce, however they were managing a club in financial meltdown and both had a fraction of DJ's playing budget. Sorry, I hate chopping and changing managers but footy is a results based business and Jones hasnt been getting enough positive results. Make no mistake, Milan will get shut if he thinks he can get somebody else in who will get this club results.

Good point. I don't think you can compare the club/team from then to now.

It can get worse performance wise, but results wise were having a good to at matching that horror run under Laws.

To think we were so weak for that period and only went down by a point in the end. I'm worried this could happen again as there were plenty of promising performances under Laws too but we barely got any points between September and Boxing Day.

I've lost faith in jones but must admit I can't think of a decent replacement.

I would prefer him to sort it out,,,but will he? He needs to change it now. We are not doing the basics well enough (people say since the coach left).

I was all for the current formation but it hasn't worked and he needs to smell the coffee and move on.

Reda and lines back might see a change in fortunes, who knows.

I'm in a similar boat, we don't have anyone who would sort us out if Jones went. No one obvious anyway.

Jones was superb up until Sept and now the backside has dropped out of everything. Fine lines perhaps, but we keep hearing that DJ is a fantastic manager, based on his previous CV I would agree but he needs to keep proving it here, it's been dissapointing so far. I don't think it's unfair to say we should be doing better.

Edited by Bluesteel

What hit me yesterday was when i heard that when we played palace we were 7 points above them and now they 21 points above us !

And I will tell you first hand that Palace were by far and away the worst team we had come across in the league at the time. One decision turned the game on its head and it ended up being our first defeat.

Were I think most supporters differ is the perceived level of performance and that is the number one thing that frustrates many. My view is that if we get a bit more rub of the green at the right times then it will turn quickly. With the exception of the Blackpool game when we just 'weren't at it' I haven't seen a performance this season that makes me believe we are absolutely going to be relegated from this division and I agree with the OP......changing it now will absolutely send us down.

Guest MrsGoggins

It can get worse performance wise, but results wise were having a good to at matching that horror run under Laws.

To think we were so weak for that period and only went down by a point in the end. I'm worried this could happen again as there were plenty of promising performances under Laws too but we barely got any points between September and Boxing Day.

This run is worse than that under laws by two points.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/2009-2010/results

If we continue to give the opposition acres of space and loads of time to play, as we are doing regularly, then relegation is nailed on. Those people who keep saying that there is plenty of time are deluding themselves. It has happened too many times to us in the past for us to be complacent about it.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

If we continue to give the opposition acres of space and loads of time to play, as we are doing regularly, then relegation is nailed on. Those people who keep saying that there is plenty of time are deluding themselves. It has happened too many times to us in the past for us to be complacent about it.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

It's not about complacency or 'smelling the coffee'. It's not even about a bit of loyalty towards a man who was a hero only a few short months ago. It's about whether we are more likely to stay up if we back him or sack him. I personally believe that a sacking now would make us less able to turn this run around. And I reckon the bookies would put us as shorter odds for relegation if we sacked DJ tomorrow as well.

Wish that people would stop bringing up the "loyalty" card in relation to Dave Jones or any other manager for that matter.

"Loyalty" in football is a nothing concept as far as I'm concerned, well bar the fans to their club that is.

Everyone appreciates the brilliant promotion last season and no one can take that away from Dave Jones.

However, you can't keep falling back on that as an excuse to accept this simply terrible run of form we are currently on. Last season has gone and frankly we, at this current rate, will render it meaningless.

Edited by SiJ

This run is worse than that under laws by two points.

http://www.statto.co...09-2010/results

The performances are much, much better, as is the goal difference. Obviously those things don't keep you up. But they suggest that we have been unlucky. Luck doesn't even itself out over short time periods. It is more likely to over a season. If that happens we will be fine.

Wish that people would stop bringing up the "loyalty" card in relation to Dave Jones or any other manager for that matter.

"Loyalty" in football is a nothing concept as far as I'm concerned, well bar the fans to their club that is.

Everyone appreciates the brilliant promotion last season and no one can take that away from Dave Jones.

However, you can't keep falling back on that as an excuse to accept this simply terrible run of form we are currently on. Last season has gone and frankly we, at this current rate, will render it meaningless.

??? I explicitly said that it isn't about loyalty.

I think there will be little option for Milan if we continue the way we are going, we will be relegated. He knows how important transfer windows can be and i'm sure that things between now and January will have happened for him to have made his decisions on who will manage this football club. For now though its Leicester at home and bleak prospects. Stick together and hold on tight it's going to be a bit bumpy.

Edited by TheEnchanter

Exactly. At the end of the day the ONLY constant with any football club is the fans. Chairmen/owners come and go, managers come and go, players come and go, CEOs come and go. It's the fans that remain through it all. Talk of loyalty in football is a nonsense when it comes to anybody but the fans.

It's not about complacency or 'smelling the coffee'. It's not even about a bit of loyalty towards a man who was a hero only a few short months ago. It's about whether we are more likely to stay up if we back him or sack him. I personally believe that a sacking now would make us less able to turn this run around. And I reckon the bookies would put us as shorter odds for relegation if we sacked DJ tomorrow as well.

You don't know who the new manager would be so how could you realistically predict such a happening?

Edited by Almat

Some good points made in the OP. Thinking about it, I'm just happy we are taking part and are having a jolly good time.

What a load of crap. I care passionately about my club, and whilst others are happy to take the attitude of 'well this doesn't seem to be working, I've no idea why, so lets just tear everything apart and hope we somehow improve', I prefer to take a more objective approach, actually judging us on our performances, and whether or not I think we deserve to be where we are in the league. I have learned from our past mistakes. The 'burn everything and start again' approach is characteristic of armchair fans who only want to brag about 'their teams' league position in the pub or the office, and don't care about long term prosperity. It may work for a few games, but in the long term it usually makes things worse.

Edited by robswfc

The OP states that people are 'screaming like spoilt kids for DJ's head and instant success' however there are definitely no expectations of instant success from me. Stability perhaps? Were we to believe the hype coming from the owner or DJ himself in the summer, saying that we could do a Norwich or Southampton. Personally I didnt believe that, and every fan must look at themselves and ask themselves did they seriously believe that? Yet the ambition was there... we talked the talk but we definitely have shown that we can't walk the walk. I mean we aren't anywhere near getting out of this division at the right end, it's scary how easy it is to beat us at the moment. I just expect to see better than a relegation scrap because that's what it is, 15 points from 17 is appalling form really. We are lucky that Bristol City, Ipswich and Peterborough are atrocious otherwise we'd be feeling a little bit more uneasy. Having said that, i'm not sure that anyone else could or would improve us without financial backing and support from Milan. That blame must lie on DJ and his staff, they have managed to get more than a dozen players in and it just isn't working so whilst i'm not going to call for his head, ohers will make sure that it'll happen naturally and more vocally as a fan base if our form continues. It's familiar territory for us, another Sheffield Wednesday team struggling in the Championship. Make your own expectations up but this season definitely isn't living up to mine*. (Thus far*)

Edited by TheEnchanter