Stats about Kirkland

I rated him before we got him just injurys were the worry but so far not really had any during the season, now us conceding so many goals I put down to defending badly and not his fault but I saw this stat that made think is there more to it.

17 other keepers have faced more shots at them than Kirkland in this league this season but only 2 have conceded more goals, this was before last nights game,

So is Kirkland struggling or have teams been more clinical finishing against us?

If you look back at every game, apart from Tonge for Leeds and I think Trotter for Millwall, all of the goals have been scored from about 6 yards out, with Kirkland a stranded spectator, because teams are just cutting through us like butter, as highlighted last night when that Chelsea lad walked though about 6 of ours before Kirkland managed to block him.

Its the amateurish defending for me, Kirkland cant be held responsible for not saving point blank shots every week.

Guest wilyfox

A keeper can only do so much. Our defending is comical at times. Kirkland did well to deny McEachran, where 3 or 4 of our defenders could not. He also did well to tip that early corner over the bar - it was going in near post. I did wonder if maybe he could have intervened for the second goal when he came to try and smother - but they bowled straight through the heart of our defence after Llera gave the ball away cheaply...

Edited by wilyfox

I rated him before we got him just injurys were the worry but so far not really had any during the season, now us conceding so many goals I put down to defending badly and not his fault but I saw this stat that made think is there more to it.

17 other keepers have faced more shots at them than Kirkland in this league this season but only 2 have conceded more goals, this was before last nights game,

So is Kirkland struggling or have teams been more clinical finishing against us?

we have a pisspoor defence...

come to think of it, we have a pisspoor midfield, and attack to go with it...

we need to tighten up, become competitive all around the field of play, and carry a threat up front...

If you look back at every game, apart from Tonge for Leeds and I think Trotter for Millwall, all of the goals have been scored from about 6 yards out, with Kirkland a stranded spectator, because teams are just cutting through us like butter, as highlighted last night when that Chelsea lad walked though about 6 of ours before Kirkland managed to block him.

Its the amateurish defending for me, Kirkland cant be held responsible for not saving point blank shots every week.

I negged that, sorry. I thought I'd scrolled back to the first post.

There are enough members of this forum who are old enough to remember Gary Sprake, who is one of the most inept keepers to play in English football in the past fifty years. He was however, the keeper of choice for Don Revie at Leeds United when Leeds were the best team in England, and he played behind one of the most organised, disciplined defences in the country. When called upon he was shabby at best and appalling at worst. There's even an instance which is probably on Youtube where he threw the ball into his own net in front of the Kop at Liverpool.

My point is, Sprake was rubbish but played behind a superb defence, and conversely Kirkland is a good keeper who is playing behind a very poor defence. Against Blackpool and last night, Llera showed why he never got a game for Blackpool, and Daniel Jones is just a joke, in fact I'd say that if Mattock cannot get into the first team in preference to Jones he shouldn't be at the club. We're all waiting for Reda to return to fitness, but he's no better a defender than any of the others, his one redeeming feature being the fact that he chips in with goals. Gardner is average but last night looked very weak, and Buxton although great going foward is a poor example of a full back at this level. I criticised Semedo for not stepping up a level, earlier in the season, but he HAS stepped up to the mark in the past few weeks and is the only midfield player demonstrating fighting qualities. Barkley and McCabe may have skill in abundance, but defensively they are very poor. I actually think that Corry could develop into a more complete midfield player than either of those two, but having come from the Irish league, it's going to take time for him to fully adapt.

To start criticising Kirkland when he's playing behind a non existent defence is totally unfair, to Kirkland.

the thing to look at is how many goals have been kirkland's fault .one possibly 2 at the most. think of all our problems kirkland isnt one of them . .........................very harsh on gary sprake wolfie ,he must have been doing summat right to play at the top for so long though like you say he prone to odd gaff .

Guest waistline ye diddle

He didn't have a chance with any of the three last night. Did his job well.

Kirkland isn't the problem.

A series of mistakes lead to goals. We made some silly mistakes and got punished pretty much each time.

They made some silly mistakes, especially before they scored and we didn't punish them.

I was having this conversation this morning with a fellow owl, the thing is its not just about shot stopping, a goalkeeper needs to do more than stop shots. Is he commanding his area and rollocking the defence when needed, on last nights evidence i would say not, I know from playing myself as a keeper in a decent league that if a team were such a constant threat as they were last night I would not have stopped screaming at the defenders and midfielders. just my opinion and one im sure some will agree with and some will disagree with.

Just to be clear i do think he is a good goalkeeper but not a commanding keeper that we maybe need at the minute.