Eric Taylor - Time to recognise his contribution

I recently read this book which I picked up in the Club shop and feel it really is time for the club to recognise the contribution Eric Taylor made to Wednesday and especially in overseeing the building the magnificent ground we all love.

Other grounds have stands named after players ie. Steve Bull at Wolves or other sporting stars with no connection to football !

Another recent thread was asking what Wednesdayites call the North stand. I think the North should be named the "Eric Taylor Stand" as the the 40th anniversary of his death approaches.

etNorth.jpg

His testimonial programme.

ET1-1.jpg

ET2.jpg

ET3.jpg

et4-2.jpg

et5-2.jpg

et6.jpg

et8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...sadly, towards the end of his career and when we were at out lowest ebb, he became the person to 'blame' for the mess we were in. Too much money spent on the ground and not enough attention paid to playing staff and managers.

One of my first memories of going to Hillsborough was seeing a Taylor Out! Banner unfolded on kop against Oxford in early 70s.

I'm 90% certain it was Taylor, it was around time Dooley was sacked.

Edited by bradowl

Guest BirdonaMaguire

One of my first memories of going to Hillsborough was seeing a Taylor Out! Banner unfolded on kop against Oxford in early 70s.

I'm 90% certain it was Taylor, it was around time Dooley was sacked.

He died shortly after.

He should be recognised, the club should recognise him, he spent 45 years at the club FFS.

Is there anything at the ground that is named after him i.e a hospitality suite?

Best of my knowledge nothing which is a shame for a club with such a fantastic history.

I just noticed 2 anniversaries in 2012 - 100 years since his birth in May & 70 years since he became Secretary-Manager.

He died shortly after.

He should be recognised, the club should recognise him, he spent 45 years at the club FFS.

Fans were wanting someone else removing from board as well, think his name was also Eric, Eric England?

I was only a nipper at time so can hardly remember.

Only thing I remember well from back then was that we always lost.

Not to forget he moved aside for the legendary Harry Catterick to take over and improve the team yet further!! Not enough done to recognise legends in our history.. There's a few pictures at the back of the South but more could be done!

Edited by fatzooma

I can remember the tumult among the supporters when Eric Taylor was in charge you either loved him or hated him.

Over the fullness of time peaks/troughs get ironed out but one thing that sticks with me was the rage against him from my dad when Albert Quixall was sold to Manure even my mother said she had never seen him so mad.

His words were,I think, "we don`t make our own players to make Man Utd look good". "Taylor will probably want some new seats fert directors box".

I believe it would be entirely fitting to name the North stand after him.

Time to do just that

let's call it the eric taylor and dave allen stand...

in the popularity stakes over the years i've been watching the wednesday these two WERE THE LEAST POPULAR chairmen...

forget the books...

to attempt to call the 'north' or 'cantilever' as it was then 'the eric taylor stand' would be so far off the mark as to be unbelieveable...

IT WAS THE NORTH STAND IN GENERAL THAT LED THE "TAYLOR OUT" CHANTS AS THOSE NORTH STAND SUPPORTERS HURLED THE CUSHIONS ONTO THE FIELD YET AGAIN...

FACE IT, THE MAN WAS LOATHED...

in the popularity stakes over the years i've been watching the wednesday these two WERE THE LEAST POPULAR chairmen...

forget the books...

to attempt to call the 'north' or 'cantilever' as it was then 'the eric taylor stand' would be so far off the mark as to be unbelieveable...

IT WAS THE NORTH STAND IN GENERAL THAT LED THE "TAYLOR OUT" CHANTS AS THOSE NORTH STAND SUPPORTERS HURLED THE CUSHIONS ONTO THE FIELD YET AGAIN...

Comparing Eric Taylor to Dave Allen is an insult beyond belief.

forget the books...

I'm interested in your views on Taylor as he was before my time - was he loathed as a manager or an administrator- or both. At which point in his career did the loathing start? Is there anything you would praise Taylor for? I've read and heard about the view of him neglecting the players vs improving the ground. There seems to be some disagreement on that too?

I started going in 1974 and I recall cushions continuing to land on the pitch long after he had died.

forget the books...

I don't know much about the man personally. I started going to Hillsborough in 1967 aged 7.

And furthermore, I haven't researched him.

But my Father never spoke well of him. He used to say 'we'll never have a good team whilst Taylor is in charge'.

From my recollection he was far from universally liked.

Can't comment whether it was justified though.

I don't know much about the man personally. I started going to Hillsborough in 1967 aged 7.

And furthermore, I haven't researched him.

But my Father never spoke well of him. He used to say 'we'll never have a good team whilst Taylor is in charge'.

From my recollection he was far from universally liked.

Can't comment whether it was justified though.

This is pretty much what I remember. I started going regularly from about 1970. My Dad always said his concentrating on the ground at the expense of the team was the main reason Catterick left. Never met many old timers who had a good word for him.

Comparing Eric Taylor to Dave Allen is an insult beyond belief.

To be fair Kivo if you didn`t live through that era you can only form an opinion second hand. Having lived through both the Taylor& Allen eras and found them totally different . But the outcome of each was equally drastic to the fortunes of the club.

...sadly, towards the end of his career and when we were at out lowest ebb, he became the person to 'blame' for the mess we were in. Too much money spent on the ground and not enough attention paid to playing staff and managers.

Sad but true, some say he built the ground as his epitaph rather than building the team