SYP, do you know your best team and best formation?

It seems to me that over the last few weeks/months that South Yorkshire Police do not actually know which way to police our games. I have been to a number of games recently where the exit from the ground has been very different.

One week i walk out of the Lep end of the North and mix with the fans leaving the west stand and then up Middlewood road with mainly Owls fans.

The week after i am not allowed to walk out of the lep end of the north and have to exit from Penistone Road, i walk up Vere road and mix with the away fans then up Middlewood road with mainly owls fans.

Friday i end up walking up Middlewood road with thousands of away fans.

What system are you planning for the Peterborough game?

my other observation is within the ground. On Friday it was obvious that the stewards were getting a battering and struggling to control the NW corner. Eventually when Leeds scored the remaining 3/4 of the away end was left with little stewarding and therefore several fans went on to the pitch resulting in the assault of our player. Police control and the few policemen in that area were aware of what was taking place and yet the response was amazingly slow.

Im sure someone from SYP may look at this forum so my question is..... Do you have a protocol for policing our games or are you experimenting each week until you find one?

It seems to me that over the last few weeks/months that South Yorkshire Police do not actually know which way to police our games. I have been to a number of games recently where the exit from the ground has been very different.

One week i walk out of the Lep end of the North and mix with the fans leaving the west stand and then up Middlewood road with mainly Owls fans.

The week after i am not allowed to walk out of the lep end of the north and have to exit from Penistone Road, i walk up Vere road and mix with the away fans then up Middlewood road with mainly owls fans.

my other observation is within the ground. On Friday it was obvious that the stewards were getting a battering and struggling to control the NW corner. Eventually when Leeds scored the remaining 3/4 of the away end was left with little stewarding and therefore several fans went on to the pitch resulting in the assault of our player. Police control and the few policemen in that area were aware of what was taking place and yet the response was amazingly slow.

Im sure someone from SYP may look at this forum so my question is..... Do you have a protocol for policing our games or are you experimenting each week until you find one?

SYP are simply not fit for purpose when it comes to crowd control.

The thing is, policing football games is one of those odd things where it is kind of not in the interests of the protagonists to do it well all the time. If the police ensure no bother is toiled / reported then people start thinking their presence is not needed, thus less police over time etc. in a round about way it is in the police interests for a little reminder every now and again how much they are needed.

Also, the police tactic now is to gain evidence on the day, then pursue charges etc later, hence the tendency to film everyone rather than be preventative.

The thing is, policing football games is one of those odd things where it is kind of not in the interests of the protagonists to do it well all the time. If the police ensure no bother is toiled / reported then people start thinking their presence is not needed, thus less police over time etc. in a round about way it is in the police interests for a little reminder every now and again how much they are needed.

Also, the police tactic now is to gain evidence on the day, then pursue charges etc later, hence the tendency to film everyone rather than be preventative.

Probably right but then they should at least Police with some consistency and not change the tactics week in week out. Their reputation is seriously fragile at the moment especially at that side of the ground.

They need to look at how others forces do it. But they won't, they will simply insist on more empty seats.

I'd prefer football fans to behave so we dont' need to be policed

However they can't so we are

The thing I'd like addressing is the absence of any police on Parkside Road after big games - there's always scrapping on there which is painful when you can look right up the street and see loads of police at the tramstop totally unaware anything is happening

Owlstalk Shop

There were so many seemingly contradictory announcements on which chuffing exit, bus and tram to leave Hillsborough by it's a wander anyone got home at all - wee wee poor communication and inconsistencies by Plod says it all really.

"all fans on the north stand must leave through the tailtone road exit" and yet i walked out the leppings lane end with quite a few other owls fans

I'd prefer football fans to behave so we dont' need to be policed

However they can't so we are

The thing I'd like addressing is the absence of any police on Parkside Road after big games - there's always scrapping on there which is painful when you can look right up the street and see loads of police at the tramstop totally unaware anything is happening

there were also no plod that i could see between Leppings lane and those at the tram stop leaving thousands of Leeds fans and Owls together. Thankfully i did not see any trouble but if there was there would have been no one to deal with it.

This^^^^^^^ I think SYP instigated the whole thing so that we are a bit nicer to them lol

I needed to exit the ground early on Friday via Leppings Lane as I was on nights, and my wife was picking me up on Catchbar Lane near the Asda, I would then drop her home at Wadsley PArk before continuing over Grenoside to work. Outside the Lepp, before the game, I asked stewards if the police would be insisting there would be no exit from the North via Leppings Lane, the stewards told me it was the club that stopped us exiting via the Lepp previously, not the police.

I find this unbelievable, surely the club realise that no matter which way we exit the ground, some people must walk back up Leppings Lane because we live at this end of the ground.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I myself have been a critic of policing at football matches over the years, I do think however, particularly since the recent Hillsborough report, that the coppers are always in a lose lose situation. If we want crowd control at these games where the risks are high, then we must allow the police to do their job, which would mean sometimes using aggressive and heavy handed tactics. Unfortunately in crowd situations, innocents can get caught up in the situation and the police get accused of thuggish behaviour themselves ...... hence we get the policing we get today ....... stand back, film it and arrest later !

Had the police been heavy handed from the outset and been allowed to prevent disorder, people like that John Mann MP would probably be moaning about the policing !

Guest S6craigo

I thought they were very slow to react, it looked like they were all peeved at having their tea break disturbed!

What was with them lining up on the side of the south stand too? They only stayed there about 2 minutes and then moved to where the actual trouble was after realising there was about as much chance of the south stand kicking off as Bennett getting back in the side!

I needed to exit the ground early on Friday via Leppings Lane as I was on nights, and my wife was picking me up on Catchbar Lane near the Asda, I would then drop her home at Wadsley PArk before continuing over Grenoside to work. Outside the Lepp, before the game, I asked stewards if the police would be insisting there would be no exit from the North via Leppings Lane, the stewards told me it was the club that stopped us exiting via the Lepp previously, not the police.

I find this unbelievable, surely the club realise that no matter which way we exit the ground, some people must walk back up Leppings Lane because we live at this end of the ground.

I don't think the steward knows what he's talking about, all of crowd control are down to the Police, they dictate what has to happen, like other posters have said in this thread, Friday night was a sorry night for SYP when put under pressure, they had to earn their money and imo were useless and slow, but we will see tarpaulin back now.