Ipswich away - Any one remember the crush? How many owls there?

Guest Go For It Owl

Remember a copper saying to me they were expecting 2000 going, but ended up with 7000/8000 packed in there (from memory)

There was a bit of a crush but everything was over exaggerated with it being post Hillsborough

Guest wadsgod

I was at that match & there was no crush, we just ended around the pitch until the moved to the stand just to left hand side from the away end. What a day it was, remember the pub outside the ground been taken over by Wednesday fans ( Drum & Monkey? ) and watching the team coach passing to a massive ovation.

Guest Ozzieowlpelvicthrust

Can't remember a crush either. Think the terrace was over capacity though and the heat made it unbearable at times. Also they didn't open the turnstiles untill something like 13:45.

Yeah there was a crush and a couple of people near me blacked out. Was too busy giving their fat boy grief to notice whether we were in any danger because of it Suppose it could have been nasty though Top day out and reckon there were about 7500 there. Must be a few off here on those pictures for sure

There was definitely a crush and a similar thing happened at Leicester a few eeks later when we won 4-2. I remember not being able to move and I had my hands up across my chest with my elbows sticking out. Clive Betts was behind me somewhere and I rememebr him shouting summat or other. But I also seem to remember people saying that there was a big gap at the back of the fans and that the surge forward was because they couldnt see back there. Or was that Leicester? Dunno. Either way, it was pretty hairy at the time and I don't fancy that again. It didn't last long because people were up and over the fence but I remember thinking how barmy it was that the emergency exits were locked FFS.

I don't remember any press coverage other than the Star and Green 'un either.

Guest parsimmon

Remember it vividly-absolutely frenzied atmosphere and remember literally being lifted off the floor and ending up about 7 steps in front of where I was initially standing when Shirtliff scored the second.We were superb that day and remember thinking how misguided the Ipswich fans known as "Ipswich J Block" were when they were simulating that we played a long ball game afterwards.2-0 could and should have been about 5-0.

Rememeber that day well, even though I was only 10. It was my first ever away game, the sun was shining and there were Wednesday fans literally everywhere. I remember either the governing bodies or the authorities (cant remember exactly who) suggesting that Wednesday wouldnt bring many because we had been relegated and they expected our support to die off. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I vividly remember them taking all of the kids out of the terrace and onto the field of play. I was sat behind the touchline as the game was in play and more and more kids were crowding all along the edge of the pitch. I can remember turning around and seeing my dad still in the crowd while people in the terrace were shouting at the police that there was a crush and to do something. Eventually we ended up in the seated area at the side (and then for some reason we were taken out of that stand and moved to the stand opposite - according to my Dad, although I cant remember this or even why)

The terrace definitley was over crowded and a crush was ocurring, that I know for definite.

My next away game was Leicester. We took over there as well.

I was there but I recall I was to the side of the goal rather than behind it so I didn't experience any real crushing. I do remember queuing for absolutely ages to get into the ground though, the police/stewards didn't seem to have a clue what to do as they clearly weren't expecting us to bring so many fans.