Ipswich away - Any one remember the crush? How many owls there?

I was there but I was at the back and never felt in danger, it was only 2 years after hillsborough disaster and their was a safety first approach (rightly so) I remember a load of wednesdayites spilled onto the pitch in order to be moved to a different stand, while being moved we scored our fans went barmy what a season that was

I must be the only one on Owlstalk who was sat in the seats at the other end of the ground.

I remember the day vividly and we set off really early, every other car on the way down the A1 were full of Wednesday.

When we eventually got to the ground, we sat in our seats which were at the other end of the ground(down the side) to where the Wednesdayites were packed into the standing areas behind the goal.

The game hadn't kicked off long and there were already incidents and fans climbing over the fence assisted by police and stewards.

After a few more minutes of this it became apparent to all us Owls in the seats that there were problems and it looked quite worrying for a time.

Eventually a lot of Owls fans were led to spare seats at the side in the same stand as us but right down to the far side next to where the incident happened. Some were led to the other side too and there were a fair few Wednesdayites to our left in the stand opposite the standing Wednesdayites who were made obvious when we scored each goal.

:Hirsty:

So infact we had fans on all four sides of the ground for all of the second half.

Seem to remember we took in excess of 7000, probably about 7,500-8,000

I must be the only one on Owlstalk who was sat in the seats at the other end of the ground.

So infact we had fans on all four sides of the ground for all of the second half.

Seem to remember we took in excess of 7000, probably about 7,500-8,000

i was in that stand too. we stayed in mablethorpe for the weekend (dunno why ?!!!). thing i remember most was the halftime scoreboard stats which read; attempts on taget - ipswich 1 wednesday14 (dunno why but i've never forgot them) . such was our dominance on an away ground both on the field and off it!!!

wonderful times indeed!!!!!!!!

Quality day once the panic was over. It wouldnt have been a problem if no kids were in the center pen. Dads were going mad to get the little ones over the fence. It deffinately was more tricky depending who you were. Paul Williams scored early on while I was sat on grass next to goal line. Remember going nuts on side of pitch.

Guest Far East

Yes remember this, a great day out red hot. When we got there, away end looked full so ended up ion the Ipswitch Kop with loads of other Owls.

Locals were friendly and seemed to enjoy having us Owls in their midst.

Since that day always had a soft spot for Ipswitch.

Was sat in the stand and unaware of problem.

Surely you noticed tons of Owls fans spilling over the fences for 15 minutes and being relocated elsewhere?

I was at the other end of the ground and it was as plain as day, couldn't miss it, unless you were doing the Poznan.

Guest Bald Owl

I sat on the pitch behind the net after climbing over the fences, a copper before the game said they were informed we were bringing 600 I told him to add another 0 he laughed until he realised I wasn't joking. They then panicked like **** because they hadn't enough staff, he quickly got on his radio to superiors who were also panicked.

I was there. Great game. Like people have said no crush we just ended up going though a gate think it was at the front then on the stand to the left. Nearly ever game was like that them days. Good day out apart from breaking down on the way home but we just left the driver and went to the nearest pub.

I was near the top and had a great view, I remember seeing people climbing over and it was packed that day, also remember their fat fan and giving him stick, then he got took out of the ground by their police, also remember seeing a wednesday fan sitting near him looking like sterland with the wednesday fans singing 'zico, zico' at him.

Great day out.

I am staggered by some of the responses under this thread.

I was behind this goal and I can safely say I have never been so terrified at a football match. Prior to kick off the atmosphere was fantastic. We had just been relegated but every Wednesdayite knew that Big Ron was on the verge of something special with the team. The reaction was for thousands to trek to Ipswich; one of those days that make you so proud to be part of this club.

Sadly, Ipswich were totally unprepared for the huge support. At the point of kick-off it was impossible to even turn around and within seconds it became truly terrifying.The only thing I could see was the tattoos on the back of the neck of a huge skinhead in front of me and I am not being melodramatic when I say that I thought that might be the last thing I would see. When he and others started shouting to open the gates at the front, I felt oddly relieved that it wasn't just me who was beginning to panic.

I remember seeing the lads having to climb over the fences at the front because the police wouldn't let them out through the gates (Does this sound familiar to anyone? Because it should and this was 1990). One of the first lads over the top was my old next-door neighbour from Swinton. I remember thinking 'Go on son, get out and drag more over with you!'. It was purely selfish. The faster they got out and more of them, then the sooner this awful pressure on my chest would go away.

There must have been a few hundred who got out onto the pitch, most of whom were marched over to the upper tier of the stand to our left. It was still densely packed but you could at least breathe easily, it was still very difficult to raise your arms.

Paul Williams scored after about 15 minutes once the worst of the crush had been relieved. I can safely say that those first 15 minutes were the only time in my life that I have truly prayed that Wednesday did NOT score.