Ron Springett - is he the best goalkeeper to have played for Wednesday?

Ron Springett was a brilliant keeper. Easily the best I have seen playing for Wednesday.

I notice the ref was George McCabe....he used to live on Stradbroke Close, just round the corner from us, and I used to see him most mornings when I went off to school. Really nice guy and always had a chat. Although he became a founder member of the Senior Blades Club he was a Wednesday fan....or so he always told me!

Edited by fredmciverslovechild

I never saw him play but my Dad sings his praises. His record speaks for itself 384 apperances for the Owls over 9 seasons and 33 England Caps.

I was intrigued to read in his testimonial programme whilst with Wednesday he never moved to Sheffield and continued to live in London and trained with QPR, joining Wednesday for matches. Anyone know of any other Wednesday players who have done this?

Can't see that happening today? ;-)

rs1-1_zpsa95d2abf.jpg

cc249c_zpsd2714dc0.jpg

I have that same programme, and the testimonial tie, which was actually produced by the factory, owned by Dave Mackay (probably the greatest no 6 (in old numbers) to play in British football in the past 50 years. Ron Springett always told a story of how when he came to Sheffield to talk to Wednesday about moving here, he was met at the Midland Station by Eric Taylor, than taken up Ecclesall Road, and round Ringinglow before dropping down to Hillsborough, and how after when he came up for his first match at Hillsborough he got a taxi outside the station, which took him down The Wicker and through Firvale etc, to Hillsborough, and if he'd gone that way the first time he came up to Sheffield, he'd never have signed for us. He's the best keeper to have played for us, by a million miles, in my time watching Wednesday, and I would say was on a par with Gordon Banks as the best ever English keeper.

I'm too young to remember Ron Springett but his record speaks for itself. Two other keepers are worth a mention though.

Teddy Davison - Spent 18 years at the club, making 397 appearences, only 1 England cap though

Jack Brown - Spent 14 years at the club, making 508 appearences and 6 England caps

Both are Wednesday legends !

I was on the Kop for his testimonial. Picking Utd was a mistake as there was a fair bit of fighting on the Kop. I remember Ron looking up at the Kop with a disgusted look on his face. I think we won 3-2. Roughly 25000 there.

Just checked 23070 in fact. 3-2 indeed.

Don't know if he was the best ever. Never saw Brown, the England keeper from the 30's. Hard to compare different eras in any case. Martin Hodge and Pressman were also good in their prime.

Springetts problem was he was only about 5' 8". Still an excellent keeper though. I remember one Xmas in front of 51,000 he bent down to pick up a simple 30 yard low drive and it slipped thro his hands and legs into the net. Finished 1-1 against Fulham. So he wasn't perfect.

Yes- Springett lived in London. Think he used to come up on Friday for home games and stop in a guest house.

As for others- John Ritchie continued to live in Stoke whilst he played for us. Maybe explains why he never looked worth the £70,000 we paid in 1966 for him.

Certainly the best to put on a Wednesday keepr's jersey.

My avatar is the picture of him going straight over to console Gerry Young for failing to control the through ball that led to Everton's 3rd goal in the 3-2 cup final defeat of 66. Pure class - a gesture of generosity from team mate to team mate. Gerry Young's error was an absolute howler and it lost us the cup. In today's game we'd see the keeper go absolutely mental and berate the defender and throw hystryonics for the cameras. Springett didn't even go to fetch the ball out of the net, he just went straight over to Young and helped him get up to his feet.

So delighted for him when he was finally awarded his World Cup Winner's medal for being part of the England ' 66 squad - reserve to Gordon Banks. I spent the whole tournament hoping Banks would get crocked :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have that same programme, and the testimonial tie, which was actually produced by the factory, owned by Dave Mackay (probably the greatest no 6 (in old numbers) to play in British football in the past 50 years. Ron Springett always told a story of how when he came to Sheffield to talk to Wednesday about moving here, he was met at the Midland Station by Eric Taylor, than taken up Ecclesall Road, and round Ringinglow before dropping down to Hillsborough, and how after when he came up for his first match at Hillsborough he got a taxi outside the station, which took him down The Wicker and through Firvale etc, to Hillsborough, and if he'd gone that way the first time he came up to Sheffield, he'd never have signed for us. He's the best keeper to have played for us, by a million miles, in my time watching Wednesday, and I would say was on a par with Gordon Banks as the best ever English keeper.

BOBBY MOORE no contest...

Yes- Springett lived in London. Think he used to come up on Friday for home games and stop in a guest house.

My Dad used to work for BISRA and on occasion traveled down to Battersea . He said he sometimes saw Springett (sitting in the same seat) on the Train back from London on a Friday.

Edited by dunsbyowl

I

rs1-1_zpsa95d2abf.jpg

cc249c_zpsd2714dc0.jpg

That program doesn't look like it's in 3D to me (as it says on the front)

Think someones' been had over!!!

Edited by Bedders

I saw most of his home games from the start and many away games too. At the time there was no one to touch him and I always felt he was better than Banks. He was England No1 for years then one bad game in Paris ( 65?)cost him his place for the World Cup. Although only average height (still is) he was just amazing at keeping the ball out of the net and could catch any cross he went for without punching, and dive at forwards' feet.

He did all this in a quiet efficient way unlike a lot of prima donna goalies of today.

Yes he did train with QPR. Always arrived in Fantham's car.

Best Owls keeper easily I've seen.

I think all the senior posters who saw him play will agree that Ron was the best keeper we've ever had.

The thing that I always remember was that he did the job with the minimum of fuss, no histrionics, no complaining at defenders.

Can't remember him having a bad patch at any time in his Wednesday career even up to the time he left.

BOBBY MOORE no contest...

You ARE kidding. Mackay was head and shoulders above Bobby Moore. I'd even go as far as to say that Colin Todd was a better player than Moore. Moore was very good, no disputing that fact, but I'd have Mackay in my team before Moore any day of the week.

Guest JohnFantham

Seen Ron Springett many times and he once borrowed my bike to ride to the dog track where Wedneday trained ( if I remember righly). Terrific keeper and I've got several pictures of him, one of them signed. After Peter packed football in he joined the South Yorkshire police force and did a lot of his training with my brother who was a Sergeant at the time. Peter sadly died a few years ago.