Ron Springett - is he the best goalkeeper to have played for Wednesday?

At the time Lev Yashin was proposed as the worlds top keeper by the press. But for me Ron Springett stood head and shoulders above him.

Though just 5' 10" in his stocking feet Ron was a commanding figure catching everything into the box beyond the penalty spot. There was n't as much blocking of kpers in those days, I remember at corners Ron would pull on the furthest post as the corner was about to be taken in order to catapult him into the centre of the penalty area. He would leap to full stretch catching and gathering the ball in one action, sometimes crashing to the ground and sometimes maintaining his balance, but never spilling the ball.

HIs party piece was casually preventing forwards running through to net when they had been given off side, making loads of pointless saves just for the sheer joy of it .

He was loved by the whole of Sheffield practically as at the time the City was blessed with two of the top three keepers in Britain Rons counterpart being Alan Hodgkinson over at the Lane.

Rons closest friends in Sheffield outside the club were the Sheffield based staff of the Master Cutler express rail service. As has been stated earlier, Ron would travel

on Fridays to Sheffield via the Cutler. If ever Wednesday were involved in a cup semi or European game the Star photographers would be looking for a snap of Ron being given the best wishes of all the Master Cutler staff.

May 14th 1966 the tears of 20K+ Wednesdayites were as much for him as for ourselves as we sensed his only silverware with the club would be his coveted league runners up medal of 1961. The 1967 cup run ended in the 6th round at Stamford bridge with a 96th minute winner for Chelsea, Ron had a Tambling volley covered but he shinned it sending Ron the wrong way, he was unconsolable as there was not even time to do anything but kick off before the whistle blew.

Not only was Ron Springett Wednesdays best ever keeper he was loved by everyone us. His daughter Susan went on to be one of the pioneers in the re-emmergence of womens football. When I moved to London for 7 years in the 90's I used to go to Loftus Rd for many of their midweek games, Susan worked in their ticket office and I was introduced to her, once she knew I was a Wednesdayite and fan of her Dads she put me on her complimentary list.

Lovely Bloke Great Keeper !

Absolutely Nev...our greatest without a doubt and such a lovely bloke....there was a photo in the Sunday Express during the winter hit 63' season which showed him hoirizontal ABOVE the crossbar catching the ball ( did he ever do anything else? ) which was the greatest picture of any keeper I've ver seen seen

I'm too young to remember Ron Springett but his record speaks for itself. Two other keepers are worth a mention though.

Teddy Davison - Spent 18 years at the club, making 397 appearences, only 1 England cap though

Jack Brown - Spent 14 years at the club, making 508 appearences and 6 England caps

Both are Wednesday legends !

I suppose the original question should have be the best "you have seen" Looking at Jack Brown's record he must be the most successful Wednesday keeper ever but I doubt any us us would have seen him play? That is some record !

Appearances as above 1923-1937.

1925-26 Division 2 Winners

1927-28 Division 1 – "The Great Escape" – With 10 games to go Wednesday were bottom staring at a gap of 7 points, eventually finishing 14th!

1928-29 Division 1 Winners

1929-30 Division 1 Winners 1928-30 & FA Cup Semi Final

1931-31 Division 1 3rd

1931-32 Division 1 3rd

1932-33 Division 1 3rd

1934-35 Division 1 3rd & FA Cup Winners

1935 Charity Shield Winners

Brown.jpg

He also gained 6 England Caps, never playing in a losing team.

Edited by dunsbyowl

When Ron joined us, my Dad's first comment was 'He's a fair goalie, but he'll never be in Jack Brown's class.' Hhe kept this up for years, but finally admitted that he was 'just a bit better than Browny!' There could be no finer compliment.

The moment I shall always treasure concerned Ron's command of the 6-yard box. At the time, Jack Charlton had just started his tactic of standing immediately in front of the keeper for corners. He came to Hillsborough, and inevitably, at the first corner, stood directly in front of Ron who was never a tall chap. Immediately, Peter Swan came and stood behind Ron.He looked like the meat in a British Rail Sandwich. The corner was taken, there was an almighty roar of 'MINE' as the ball entered the 6-yard box. Ron had come out, caught the ball and was clearing it. A quick glance behind showed Swanny in the bottom corner of the net on one side, and Charlton in the bottom at the other. Ron had not only saved the corner, he's scored 2 centre halves as well.

The funny part of Ron's England career was that the one poor game he had, he had Charlton in front of him instead of Swanny, with whom he had built up a superb working relationship.

I also remember Yashin running almost the full length of Hillsboro to shake hand with Springett.

When Ron joined us, my Dad's first comment was 'He's a fair goalie, but he'll never be in Jack Brown's class.' Hhe kept this up for years, but finally admitted that he was 'just a bit better than Browny!' There could be no finer compliment.

The moment I shall always treasure concerned Ron's command of the 6-yard box. At the time, Jack Charlton had just started his tactic of standing immediately in front of the keeper for corners. He came to Hillsborough, and inevitably, at the first corner, stood directly in front of Ron who was never a tall chap. Immediately, Peter Swan came and stood behind Ron.He looked like the meat in a British Rail Sandwich. The corner was taken, there was an almighty roar of 'MINE' as the ball entered the 6-yard box. Ron had come out, caught the ball and was clearing it. A quick glance behind showed Swanny in the bottom corner of the net on one side, and Charlton in the bottom at the other. Ron had not only saved the corner, he's scored 2 centre halves as well.

The funny part of Ron's England career was that the one poor game he had, he had Charlton in front of him instead of Swanny, with whom he had built up a superb working relationship.

I also remember Yashin running almost the full length of Hillsboro to shake hand with Springett.

i dont think swan&springett played together against leeds at hillsboro (i think it was mobley),and labone was the centre -half in the game against france .

You ARE kidding. Mackay was head and shoulders above Bobby Moore. I'd even go as far as to say that Colin Todd was a better player than Moore. Moore was very good, no disputing that fact, but I'd have Mackay in my team before Moore any day of the week.

it's not a question for you and i to argue over...

everyone who knows anything at all about football at that time knows for around 8 years bobby moore was A WORLD CLASS defender...

whilst dave mackay was at HIS BEST a top performer in BRITISH FOOTBALL, never to make a mark on european or world football...

ask around THE WORLD about bobby moore, you'll get the answer "GREAT PLAYER, GREAT DEFENDER" by scores of people...

ask about dave mackay, and they'll say "WHO?"...

Edited by dnhc

it's not a question for you and i to argue over...

everyone who knows anything at all about football at that time knows for around 8 years bobby moore was A WORLD CLASS defender...

whilst dave mackay was at HIS BEST a top performer in BRITISH FOOTBALL, never to make a mark on european or world football...

ask around THE WORLD about bobby moore, you'll get the answer "GREAT PLAYER, GREAT DEFENDER" by scores of people...

ask about dave mackay, and they'll say "WHO?"...

while not arguing with you over bobby moore, dave mackay played for scotland so was never going to get international recognition .mackay scored 51 goals for spurs in just over 300 games so was more than just a defender like moore was .....both great players.

while not arguing with you over bobby moore, dave mackay played for scotland so was never going to get international recognition .mackay scored 51 goals for spurs in just over 300 games so was more than just a defender like moore was .....both great players.

A bit self defeating. He was known around the world because he played around the world. Mackay didn't, as established. Moore was class. In English football league I would have taken Mackay, he was a terrifying 'enforcer' and could play a bit as well. It always helps if your colleagues are half decent as well which may have helped Mackay. Bobby wasn't surrounded by a great class of defender at West Ham.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=Dave+Mackay+and+Billy+Bremner&num=10&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=615&tbm=isch&tbnid=MMrilfagt5ySYM:&imgrefurl=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1094645/Captain-Marvels-Sportsmails-guide-footballing-superheroes.html&docid=7bdImOx-UvQapM&imgurl=http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/14/article-1094645-0007DBD700000258-2_468x323_popup.jpg&w=650&h=450&ei=8TdjULP0EMO30QXh5oHgCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=105&vpy=149&dur=2890&hovh=187&hovw=270&tx=128&ty=77&sig=110162648381440653492&page=1&tbnh=114&tbnw=164&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:71

A bit self defeating. He was known around the world because he played around the world. Mackay didn't, as established. Moore was class. In English football league I would have taken Mackay, he was a terrifying 'enforcer' and could play a bit as well. It always helps if your colleagues are half decent as well which may have helped Mackay. Bobby wasn't surrounded by a great class of defender at West Ham.

http://www.google.co...29,r:0,s:0,i:71

he was surrounded by world champion class defenders at international level...

no from 66 to around 72ish, bobby would have been one of the first names on the team sheet for a world Xl, and he'd be captain...

dave would have been hoping to pull a few strings and get a ticket to get into the game...

springet at his peak ,i'd have him in goal now ,no problem ,

tbh, sporting attributes and achievements have advanced so far in the last 50 years...

that if you were to take the average english run of the mill premier, or even championship keeper from now back to those days...

it's likely banks would have to up his game to keep his place...

having said that ron would be my choice for the best keeper for us given say 20 years either side of his playing time...

and in all honesty, may be our best ever, but that could well reflect upon the standard of keeper we've had for the last 30 years...

Guest Rotherhamowl1976

Martin hodge was the man between the sticks when I began my love affair...always dependable...remember him being 4th choice for England when I think Gary Bailey was looking doubtful. Think it was Mexico 86 but not sure...anyone?

Surprised Chris 'Englands No1' Woods has not had a mention.:) :)

tbh, sporting attributes and achievements have advanced so far in the last 50 years...

that if you were to take the average english run of the mill premier, or even championship keeper from now back to those days...

it's likely banks would have to up his game to keep his place...

having said that ron would be my choice for the best keeper for us given say 20 years either side of his playing time...

and in all honesty, may be our best ever, but that could well reflect upon the standard of keeper we've had for the last 30 years...

get outta town .....ron would p1ss all over most keepers today ,he didnt need a pair of wicketkeepers gloves on to catch the ball .

Ron was originally named in the bribes scandle,mike gabbert, the reporter for newsoftheworld named 4 wednesday players in his original article,which he later altered after speaking with the other three,who fully exhonerated him of any blame.

Superb keeper and first name on my teamsheet of all time wednesday greats,easily the best keeper in my time as an owls.

I recall well the cup game where both brothers opposed each other for the first time,ritchie had a great game.

I too saw Ron Springett play at Leicester and I thought it the best performance I have seen from a goalkeeper with banks at the other end playing a terrific game.

He was brave and went down to feet without any shirking ( and there were some real old fashioned type centre forweards then) what stood out for me was how he totally bossed the penalty area.

Back to that Leicester game at Filbert Street - some of his ful length and reflex saves were out of this world. No wonder he was able to wear the green jersey - I,ve seen all his succesors at Hilsboro and he is and was the best.