Ron Springett - is he the best goalkeeper to have played for Wednesday?

I never saw him play but my Dad sings his praises. His record speaks for itself 384 apperances for the Owls over 9 seasons and 33 England Caps.

I was intrigued to read in his testimonial programme whilst with Wednesday he never moved to Sheffield and continued to live in London and trained with QPR, joining Wednesday for matches. Anyone know of any other Wednesday players who have done this?

Can't see that happening today? ;-)

rs1-1_zpsa95d2abf.jpg

cc249c_zpsd2714dc0.jpg

He hasn't got a World Cup winners medal though has he?

I'm uncertain of his ebay purchase history or his attendance at sports memorabilia sales - so can't answer that definitively

Boooo'ed em both.

Can't beat a reight good Booooing.

I paid my half crown, so some body was going to get it.

(sorry Ron and Iain).

:tango: :tango: :tango:

Owlstalk Shop

As a kid I thought all goalkeepers were as dependable as Ron Springett because I'd never known any other and he has always been the yardstick that I have gauged Wednesday keepers with since. His brother Peter was an able follow on, but not quite in the same class as Ron, and no-one has equalled him since. Hardly ever missed a match and the safest pair of hands I have ever seen. Solid professional and a true England number one. Cast your mind back and you will realise that he eventually lost his England shirt to a Lad from Sheffield, the great Gordon Banks.