Daniel Jones

Guest JonTheOwl66

I am going to agree with Jon on this one, I thought he did ok.

Just said in another thread it looks like someone has been working on him, there was an improvement, I watched him carefully yesterday.

He isn't going bombing forward, getting caught miles out of position, causing others to have to bail him out, as much anymore, and he is standing up to defenders more rather than going diving in and getting skinned.

Obviously a player who does listen and is trying to improve his game. That said, Reda for me if given a choice.

Is Reda injured or on the naughty step? I recall DJ moaning about defenders concentrating more on wanting to score than defend. Was he referring to Reda or is he injured?

Reda was injured according to Jones' post match interview.

He was hopeless - I have no idea why people insist on praising his constantly underwhelming performances.

Wrong side of his man for just about every ball played down his flank and his attempts at tackling Eagles in the first half and Davies for their second goal were actually so bad he stopped actual players getting close enough to put a foot in. For someone with such great pace he offers nothing going forward and he flatters to deceive - there was one particularly poor moments for this in the second half - one where JJ brought the ball inside played it back to Semedo who passed to Barkley who stopped and stared at the gaping hole JJ and created for what seemed like an eternity when DJ refused to move forward he had to turn back inside and pick another pass, at whoch point DJ walks into the space and gesticulates...what an arse!

I think you're doing Jones an injustice here in relation to the second goal. Davies danced around 4 or 5 players, including the immovable object that is Semedo, to score that goal. Saying that, Jones and the others shouldn't have been put in that position as the ball should have been put in 'row Z' two seconds earlier by the inept Taylor.

Well you might be right, he wasn't dreadful compared to some of his 'appearences' (or lack of) under Irvine. But hey ho. Each to their own, I'd love to see Mattock given a chance at left back now he's served his suspension.

Yes - I agree. Give Mattock a try. Ultimately, I would like to see Reda in there full time but he needs to be learnt how to correctly play at left back. Currently, Reda's excellent goal scoring is being negated by his inconsistent defending. The first penalty on Wednesday is a case in point. JJ was trying to recover for Reda's mistake when the slip and harshly given penalty was awarded. Take these defensive inconsistencies out of Reda's game and we have a top top player.

Left wide open gaps at the back and poor set pieces.

Absolutely useless, never near his man, can't tackle, can't cross and his set pieces are appalling. He couldn't get a game in a division

below so why dave jones thinks he'll be any better this term is beyond me. If he keeps picking Jone's, Taylor, Picnic and Bothroyd he

won't be here much longer.

Hmmm. I disagree with you here mate. I thought Jones was steady. He put an absolutely cracking corner right into the danger area in the second half but no one attacked it. Also, there's no bigger culprit than Reda for leaving wide open spaces at the back and, yesterday, Jones wasn't as guilty for this as Reda generally is. Therefore, with all respect, I think your argument is flawed.

I can't argue that Reda often leaves big gaps at the back. But he generally has the effort / energy / gumption to get back and make a (sometimes scary) challenge. He also adds LOADS going forward.

Jones is frustrating as he has the attributes - just not the application.

It wasn't his worst game - but I don't see that he adds anything to the team.

Regarding not offering anything coming forward, it wasn't in the teams tactics to send balls up the left. Pecnik wasn't going on the sort of runs that encouraged that sort of support, nor were the balls being played to either of them to allow this.

Regarding leaving space in defence: again, we seemed to be concentrating on the other side. Eagles was the danger man. This kept Lee out wide and meant the other 3 defenders all stood a bit further right than they would against a balanced attacking team, almost like 3 CBs. For all the space that left on our left, Bolton didn't really use this. I suggest we set up this way knowing they wouldn't.

In conclusion. I think, whilst Jones didn't set the world alight, he did the job asked of him just fine for most of the game. His set prices and distribution were admittedly hit and miss, but no more than anyone else this season.

I can't argue that Reda often leaves big gaps at the back. But he generally has the effort / energy / gumption to get back and make a (sometimes scary) challenge. He also adds LOADS going forward.

Jones is frustrating as he has the attributes - just not the application.

It wasn't his worst game - but I don't see that he adds anything to the team.

Then we agree more or less (see my other posts in relation to Reda's value to the team. Your 'sometimes scary' comment made me chuckle.

To say he's a left back he looks like he doesnt particularly enjoy defending. It certainly doesnt come naturally to him. The way he just walks away from Ngog after we've half cleared a corner, only to allow him a free header which he should have scored, was basic stuff.

He did ok yesterday in the main but he's was starting from a very low base.

D Jones is the type of player that relgation sides have.

Left back is a real promble for us. Although I love Reda he's not the answer.

Be intereting to see Mattock play in his natural position.

It was nice to see a balanced team, mattock will play left back in next game and then we can actually watch him in natural position

That's one thing I want to see. He came with good press, it'll be nice to see how he plays in his natural position because he's no right back, that's for sure

After saying he was a decent backup I'm reminded of 2 or 3 instances where the lads quality fails us.

The standout one was where he was more at fault than Taylor for the second goal. When Davies ran at them, you can see Gardner telling Jones to take him out wide, but Jones let him through on the inside gaving him the room and position to strike a belter. Davies did well there but we could have stopped it.

Then there was the throw in where he showed he's not on the ball mentally. First he was going take it 20 yards nearer our goal than it went out. Then the linesmen tells him to move further up. When he's moved 20 yards further up the ref tells him that's enough and he starts arguing with the ref. Quite unnecessary.

And there were other times when his positioning and decisions let us down.

we are being plagued by near schoolboy errors...

one would think it's the managements choice for the 1st, no full backs on the posts...

and the guy who heads it does so without being challenged, and doesn't even need to get off his feet...

the latter, as you point out, is kids defending where everybody appears to be trying to get at the man with the ball, and then end up showing him the inside...

and he doesn't disappoint them either...

i imagine that jones is in the side because of his recovery pace, but if he can't defend then what's the use of his pace?

a hell of a lot of our failings are down to basic football...

tbh, if you had a 15 year old son playing sunday morning, you'd be disappointed in him making the mistakes our professionals are at present...