Daniel Jones

Guest JonTheOwl66

Guest JonTheOwl66

Not been any mention about him today.. But thought he did alright.

Put some decent set-pieces in and did okay generally, be interested to see whether he starts mid-week.

Not been any mention about him today.. But thought he did alright.

Put some decent set-pieces in and did okay generally, be interested to see whether he starts mid-week.

If the lad hasn't been criticised on here, he must have done OK. If DJ thinks that he has a future at SWFC, maybe he should keep his place for consistency.

Guest JonTheOwl66

He was poo pooe, his set pieces were apalling, his desire was embarrassing, he ran around like he had shat himself and that was when he did run around, he provided no support going forwards or defensively. Shocking player.

People often seem to forget tactics...

I agree he has all the necessary attributes but IMO not good enough, wasn't in league 1 and not in the Championship. he was lucky Bothroyd and Taylor were playing!

As a back up to Reda I can understand his place in the squad, but the future of SWFC at left back he aint.

Looking at yesterday objectively, I thought Lee looked a far better defender.

He was hopeless - I have no idea why people insist on praising his constantly underwhelming performances.

Wrong side of his man for just about every ball played down his flank and his attempts at tackling Eagles in the first half and Davies for their second goal were actually so bad he stopped actual players getting close enough to put a foot in. For someone with such great pace he offers nothing going forward and he flatters to deceive - there was one particularly poor moments for this in the second half - one where JJ brought the ball inside played it back to Semedo who passed to Barkley who stopped and stared at the gaping hole JJ and created for what seemed like an eternity when DJ refused to move forward he had to turn back inside and pick another pass, at whoch point DJ walks into the space and gesticulates...what an arse!

Guest plymouthowl

Thought Jones did ok yesterday, would prefer him to start at LB rather that Beevers. Having said that would much rather Reda there than both of them.

Lee had a steady game yesterday, hopefully he can make that position his.

Left wide open gaps at the back and poor set pieces.

Is Reda injured - otherwise I don't understand dropping him. I'd have played Beevers at left back

Hmmm. I disagree with you here mate. I thought Jones was steady. He put an absolutely cracking corner right into the danger area in the second half but no one attacked it. Also, there's no bigger culprit than Reda for leaving wide open spaces at the back and, yesterday, Jones wasn't as guilty for this as Reda generally is. Therefore, with all respect, I think your argument is flawed.

Better than at Palace but always seems to argue and contest things with ref and linesmen instead of using time when ball is out of play to pick up his man and defend. Twice yesterday from simple throw ins he let his man get in behind him because of this. These things cost goals. Also Lucky not to be booked when for some reason he decided to argue with ref about where a throw in should be taken from instead of just getting on with the game.

But the difference between Jones and Reda is that Reda can actualy tackle (albeit slightly gung ho), Reda can actually get forward and is our biggest goal threat. Jones just sits, lazily not providing any decisive input into either our attack or defence, he lollops around the pitch never breaking into a sprint no matter what is happening around him, mainly stood looking at his pink boots.

I am going to agree with Jon on this one, I thought he did ok.

Just said in another thread it looks like someone has been working on him, there was an improvement, I watched him carefully yesterday.

He isn't going bombing forward, getting caught miles out of position, causing others to have to bail him out, as much anymore, and he is standing up to defenders more rather than going diving in and getting skinned.

Obviously a player who does listen and is trying to improve his game. That said, Reda for me if given a choice.

Is Reda injured or on the naughty step? I recall DJ moaning about defenders concentrating more on wanting to score than defend. Was he referring to Reda or is he injured?

Edited by theowlsman

But the difference between Jones and Reda is that Reda can actualy tackle (albeit slightly gung ho), Reda can actually get forward and is our biggest goal threat. Jones just sits, lazily not providing any decisive input into either our attack or defence, he lollops around the pitch never breaking into a sprint no matter what is happening around him, mainly stood looking at his pink boots.

I too prefer Reda but I can't agree with your assessment of Jones. He did ok yesterday. It appears that you're saying that is performance was dreadful when it quite obviously wasn't.

Guest totemowl

After saying he was a decent backup I'm reminded of 2 or 3 instances where the lads quality fails us.

The standout one was where he was more at fault than Taylor for the second goal. When Davies ran at them, you can see Gardner telling Jones to take him out wide, but Jones let him through on the inside gaving him the room and position to strike a belter. Davies did well there but we could have stopped it.

Then there was the throw in where he showed he's not on the ball mentally. First he was going take it 20 yards nearer our goal than it went out. Then the linesmen tells him to move further up. When he's moved 20 yards further up the ref tells him that's enough and he starts arguing with the ref. Quite unnecessary.

And there were other times when his positioning and decisions let us down.

I too prefer Reda but I can't agree with your assessment of Jones. He did ok yesterday. It appears that you're saying that is performance was dreadful when it quite obviously wasn't.

Well you might be right, he wasn't dreadful compared to some of his 'appearences' (or lack of) under Irvine. But hey ho. Each to their own, I'd love to see Mattock given a chance at left back now he's served his suspension.