Megson's fighting spirit legacy and promotion confidence frittered away

The breathtaking first half against Birmingham and bits of the Fulham match aside DJ has frittered away the so hard won confidence and fighting spirit that he inherited from GM, he enhanced that team with a licence to attack and won promotion we were bristling with confidence now after spending presumably loads on wages signing over a dozen players I think he seems to have thrown it all away.

DJ now needs to swallow his pride and dump bothroyd and play Cog from the start to soften up the oppos defence whilst also connecting up the midfield to the front

slides like this get good managers the sack and I afraid if this continues we are about to lose a good manager who temporarily seems to have lost the plot ( and or coach)

Guest Sheff Owl

I'm not sure what Dave Jones is trying to do but ripping the squad and team spirit apart was stupid IMO (he did say he wouldn't do it).

Megson was on that Late Kick off and other shows and said that's still my squad and i think Dave Jones is just trying to prove a point IMO

There was no reason just to rip everything up like that, yes add players but just to make so many changes so quick is crazy.

Its the danger that many teams slip into, borrowing too many players and looking for the side that looks good on paper rather than the one that clicks. Sheff Utd are an example of this.

Although these guys are undoubtedly decent players, the likes of Rob Jones, Lowe, Batth have all gone. Madine and COG on a limb. Semedo and Reda in and out of the side. The players and fans had grown a bond which I think has been underestimated. This new team seems aloof and it reminds me of the previous season at this level.

To be fair to DJ, I was really excited with these signings but part of me did wonder if we needed such a radical change. The likes of McCabe looks a good investment but time will tell if we have shot ourselves in the foot.

Hopefully these guys will gel and we can kick on, but I think we need to give the guys who got us here a proper chance. They have it all to prove.

Agree with the opening poster 100%. We've got no spirit in the side now. We're just a collection of individuals who don't know how to play as a team. I'm well pissed off to be honest. I'm gonna have to get off owlstalk for the night though cos its depressing me further lol

So what happens now? Give him a month to improve results? If they don't improve he's gone ? Who would replace him ?

Lee Clark will be looking for a job on Monday morning why don't we give him a go lol

Dave Jones will sort it out everyone. Don't worry

don't think it helps before the season starts when you've got players like kirkland & gardner umming and arring

on whether to sign for the club or not.

and the likes of rhys mc'cabe saying i chose wednesday cos i know i'd get games which

i wouldn't get at the likes of everton.

also what happened to players been taken onto the kop to see what it mean't to play for

a great club like wednesday.

no we don't have that any more just players like bothroyd saying i only signed cos i know dave jones.

well thanks a lot pal.

spirit is so hard to get but a damn sight easy to destroy,and at the moment

dave jones is doing good job on that front.

don't think it helps before the season starts when you've got players like kirkland & gardner umming and arring

on whether to sign for the club or not.

and the likes of rhys mc'cabe saying i chose wednesday cos i know i'd get games which

i wouldn't get at the likes of everton.

also what happened to players been taken onto the kop to see what it mean't to play for

a great club like wednesday.

no we don't have that any more just players like bothroyd saying i only signed cos i know dave jones.

well thanks a lot pal.

spirit is so hard to get but a damn sight easy to destroy,and at the moment

dave jones is doing good job on that front.

summed up the point of my post in a sentence

The breathtaking first half against Birmingham and bits of the Fulham match aside DJ has frittered away the so hard won confidence and fighting spirit that he inherited from GM, he enhanced that team with a licence to attack and won promotion we were bristling with confidence now after spending presumably loads on wages signing over a dozen players I think he seems to have thrown it all away.

DJ now needs to swallow his pride and dump bothroyd and play Cog from the start to soften up the oppos defence whilst also connecting up the midfield to the front

slides like this get good managers the sack and I afraid if this continues we are about to lose a good manager who temporarily seems to have lost the plot ( and or coach)

I agree.

Team spirit and confidence is a big, big factor in football.

Hard to acquire and easy to lose. (Edit: Didn't see Jasper's similar comment)

Maybe Jones should be aiming to bring the squad together - needs to use every ounce of his managerial skills to change things.

You think Bothroyd fancies a run in Greno Woods?

Edited by RichSheffWeds

Although these guys are undoubtedly decent players, the likes of Rob Jones, Lowe, Batth have all gone. Madine and COG on a limb The players and fans had grown a bond which I think has been underestimated. This new team seems aloof and it reminds me of the previous season at this level.

This. Those players gave us the greatest season for the best part of 20 years and deserved a chance. Nobody would have slagged DJ for playing them nor then replacing them if they'd failed but now we've got the worst of both worlds. I suppose he had to go with his judgement but seems a shame.

This. Those players gave us the greatest season for the best part of 20 years and deserved a chance. Nobody would have slagged DJ for playing them nor then replacing them if they'd failed but now we've got the worst of both worlds. I suppose he had to go with his judgement but seems a shame.

takes a good manager to realise he has ballsed up trouble is I can see him going down ( sacked) with the ship he built