Assessments from those that were there...

Just got back in from the game and can't help but feel a little relieved but also frustrated from what was another split display.

Here's my own assessment on performance, feel free to add your own.

Kirkland - Couldn't be blamed for either goal but made a point blank save at 2-0 (just before we scored) which kept us in the game as we couldn't get to grips with with the quick Derby passing.

Buxton - Still looks a bit ring-rusty but it will have done him good to get 90 minutes under his belt. Didn't get forward enough which show's he's still not match fit but held up well under pressure in the second half.

Reda - Until his last gasp equaliser he'd not had the best of games. We had an attacking throw with 5 mins to go and he fouled it up. Then he had the ball on the halfway line in acres of space and just gave it straight to a Derby player.

Llera - Did well against the smaller and quicker Ward but needs to work on his communication with Gardner if this is a pairing that is going to work in the long run. To concede 2 goals from crosses is worrying.

Gardner - Looked composed and assured at the back and dominated in the air. Still concerned about the overall communication at the back and he should be the leader back there.

Antonio - A quiet first half but really offered pace and power in the second as we began to get on top of the game. Such a powerful athlete and can't see him having too many games where he doesn't have an impact at some point.

JJ - I often berate him but think today he had an excellent game. No Derby player could really get near him and he was still full of running at the end of the game. Derby have a highly rated RB in Brayford but JJ tore him to pieces time and again.

Semedo - Gave his all as usual for the cause and provided much needed cover in the first half when Derby were on top of the game. Stuck to his duties as if his life depended on it.

McCabe - Kept a close eye on him all game because I was interested to see what he was all about and he really impressed me. Puts his foot in, gets around the pitch, picks a nice pass and for a small lad he hangs in the air like a salmon. What a great addition.

Pecnik - Welcome to The Championship Necj. He'll settle in time (all being well) but was totally muscled out of the game today and was rightly substituted to bring on Madine.

O'Grady - Worked his ass off today and got us back into the game with a great finish. It's a good indication that he may be able to cut it at this level. Got more into the game with the introduction of Madine second half.

Madine - Glad when he came on because we were crying out for some support for O'Grady and he started to put the Derby back 2 under a lot more pressure than they had been used to. Unfortunate to see his goal ruled off for offside - not much in it.

Beevers - Wasn't put under too much pressure because we were putting Derby under the cosh to get the equaliser. Depending on the length of the Gardner injury, we may be seeing a bit more of him pretty soon.

Bit disappointed in how we conceded our goals (even though I thought our guy was pushed for their 2nd). Gardner and Llera are good individual defenders but need to gel as a pairing and Buxton and Reda aren't vocally commanding either. The two Derby CBs were what I'd call proper defenders and just won pretty much everything today and in the first half we threw it forward in the air too frequently. We totally dominated the second half and could really have gone on to win it. Once Derby went to one up front I was hoping for DJ to maybe bring on Maguire and push on when we were on top. A point away from home is a great start - especially after having gone 2 down. Let's now move onto the next game with optimism. I'm sure that DJ will have learnt a lot about a few individuals today.

Agree with everything the OP says. The only thing I would say is that Antonio was poor but he kept at it and I can't fault that, just one of those days I reckon.

The defending for their two goals was woeful and that is worrying. JJ had his best game for a very long time.

Got stuck in 2nd half and one thing they don't do is give up - very refreshing!

Could have easily won it in the end and I would like to see madine's offside goal again but doubt we will!

Just got back in from the game and can't help but feel a little relieved but also frustrated from what was another split display.

Here's my own assessment on performance, feel free to add your own.

Kirkland - Couldn't be blamed for either goal but made a point blank save at 2-0 (just before we scored) which kept us in the game as we couldn't get to grips with with the quick Derby passing.

Buxton - Still looks a bit ring-rusty but it will have done him good to get 90 minutes under his belt. Didn't get forward enough which show's he's still not match fit but held up well under pressure in the second half.

Reda - Until his last gasp equaliser he'd not had the best of games. We had an attacking throw with 5 mins to go and he fouled it up. Then he had the ball on the halfway line in acres of space and just gave it straight to a Derby player.

Llera - Did well against the smaller and quicker Ward but needs to work on his communication with Gardner if this is a pairing that is going to work in the long run. To concede 2 goals from crosses is worrying.

Gardner - Looked composed and assured at the back and dominated in the air. Still concerned about the overall communication at the back and he should be the leader back there.

Antonio - A quiet first half but really offered pace and power in the second as we began to get on top of the game. Such a powerful athlete and can't see him having too many games where he doesn't have an impact at some point.

JJ - I often berate him but think today he had an excellent game. No Derby player could really get near him and he was still full of running at the end of the game. Derby have a highly rated RB in Brayford but JJ tore him to pieces time and again.

Semedo - Gave his all as usual for the cause and provided much needed cover in the first half when Derby were on top of the game. Stuck to his duties as if his life depended on it.

McCabe - Kept a close eye on him all game because I was interested to see what he was all about and he really impressed me. Puts his foot in, gets around the pitch, picks a nice pass and for a small lad he hangs in the air like a salmon. What a great addition.

Pecnik - Welcome to The Championship Necj. He'll settle in time (all being well) but was totally muscled out of the game today and was rightly substituted to bring on Madine.

O'Grady - Worked his ass off today and got us back into the game with a great finish. It's a good indication that he may be able to cut it at this level. Got more into the game with the introduction of Madine second half.

Madine - Glad when he came on because we were crying out for some support for O'Grady and he started to put the Derby back 2 under a lot more pressure than they had been used to. Unfortunate to see his goal ruled off for offside - not much in it.

Beevers - Wasn't put under too much pressure because we were putting Derby under the cosh to get the equaliser. Depending on the length of the Gardner injury, we may be seeing a bit more of him pretty soon.

Bit disappointed in how we conceded our goals (even though I thought our guy was pushed for their 2nd). Gardner and Llera are good individual defenders but need to gel as a pairing and Buxton and Reda aren't vocally commanding either. The two Derby CBs were what I'd call proper defenders and just won pretty much everything today and in the first half we threw it forward in the air too frequently. We totally dominated the second half and could really have gone on to win it. Once Derby went to one up front I was hoping for DJ to maybe bring on Maguire and push on when we were on top. A point away from home is a great start - especially after having gone 2 down. Let's now move onto the next game with optimism. I'm sure that DJ will have learnt a lot about a few individuals today.

Have you really been? The only reason I ask is because of your appraisal of the performance of Gardner. He was appallingly bad in the first half, and I'd have taken him off after half an hour. The second half he improved and and was only really poor.

I'd give Pecnik nil out of ten, and also thought that for the first hour Semedo looked a little bit out of his depth.

JJ was very ordinary in the first, but in the second was simply outstanding, and as far as their defence was concerned was totally unplayable. I thought Reda might struggle at this level, but thought he looked very comfortable. McCabe reminded me of Tommy Craig, and looks like a real prospect. COG was outstanding. Madine wont have it all his own way in this league, and Antonio had the most indifferent performance I've seen from him. If Buxton can't improve, he wont be long for the first team, and how nice it is to see a goalkeeper who actually looks competent and capable.

Agree with everything the OP says. The only thing I would say is that Antonio was poor but he kept at it and I can't fault that, just one of those days I reckon.

The defending for their two goals was woeful and that is worrying. JJ had his best game for a very long time.

Got stuck in 2nd half and one thing they don't do is give up - very refreshing!

Could have easily won it in the end and I would like to see madine's offside goal again but doubt we will!

Yep we definitely could have won it at the death and O'Grady was unfortunate not to get his 2nd when their keeper turned his shot around the post.

Have you really been? The only reason I ask is because of your appraisal of the performance of Gardner. He was appallingly bad in the first half, and I'd have taken him off after half an hour. The second half he improved and and was only really poor.

I'd give Pecnik nil out of ten, and also thought that for the first hour Semedo looked a little bit out of his depth.

JJ was very ordinary in the first, but in the second was simply outstanding, and as far as their defence was concerned was totally unplayable. I thought Reda might struggle at this level, but thought he looked very comfortable. McCabe reminded me of Tommy Craig, and looks like a real prospect. COG was outstanding. Madine wont have it all his own way in this league, and Antonio had the most indifferent performance I've seen from him. If Buxton can't improve, he wont be long for the first team, and how nice it is to see a goalkeeper who actually looks competent and capable.

I know you're not the biggest JJ fan so he really must have had an excellent 2nd half today.

Semedo, Reda, Buxton & Pecnik were woeful first half.

All improved in the 2nd, more so Semedo & Buxton compared to the other two.

Rest were seriously average first, but much better in the second.

JJ & McCabe the standout players for me.

Glad to hear McCabe did well. Wasn't mentioned much in commentary cos Giddings is a crap commentator.

What is Gardner's injury status then ?

Is Madine injured or not? I thought he had a lump in his knee or summat?

Edited by bobbobbins

Certainly not going to argue as everyone is entitled to their opinion but Reda didn't have a great game at all but it will be masked by his equaliser. Gardner won his headers and blocked shots which is what you want from a defender. I don't think he communicates well though. Buxton is clearly suffering from lack of match fitness. Kirkland is a great No1 to have and I pray he stays fit. Bit of work to do with the defence and a cutting edge up top (hear we're in talks now with Rodri) and think we'll be fine in this league.

Semedo, Reda, Buxton & Pecnik were woeful first half.

All improved in the 2nd, more so Semedo & Buxton compared to the other two.

Rest were seriously average first, but much better in the second.

JJ & McCabe the standout players for me.

Agree with your standout players and would just add O'Grady into that mix too.

Thought Read looked so shaky. As did, surprisingly, Buxton. Both got caught out on numerous occasions. I know Reda scored, but Mattock has to play on Tuesday.

Was not overly impressed with Gardner either. Thought his positional player was abysmal.

I can't remember Pecnik touching the ball in the first half.

However, JJ was easily the best player on that pitch. He looked awesome and he always looked like he was going to make things happen. Scared the living daylights out of Derby's full back.

Special mention to McCabe as well. We have a very talented young lad on our books. Thought he was great.

Overall, a decent performance. Plus, Pride Park will not see a better goal all season than COG. What a strike.

Special mention to us fans. I would LOVE to see a video of all of us bounding- can anyone help?

Plenty of positives.

Great point.

I was sat above the dugout in with the Derby supporters (with my tin hat on) because I couldn't get a ticket for the away end. I did get a bit of video of the fans bouncing on my phone and will try and upload it. The support was Massive today. They only had about 1/20 of their support that actually sand. We drowned them out completely!

Seems like everyone that went was really impressed by young McCabe.

Weird that Mark Smith and Giddings didn't seem that impressed.

What caught the eye of those of you who went today?*

*From McCabe.

Edited by SiJ

Seems like everyone that went was really impressed by young McCabe.

Weird that Mark Smith and Giddings didn't seem that impressed.

What caught the eye of those of you who went today?*

*From McCabe.

thought he was poor first half, maybe his fitness, i don't know

second half seemed to get his 2nd wind and got more involved

did well in the air as well