Assessments from those that were there...

Derby are nothing special, if we started the game like we did in the second we would of not only won but scored a hat full, the worrying thing is the poor first half show again, only saved by a truly world class goal by COG.

Like I said earlier, new player need a little bit of time to settle but the future looks good.

Oh and the vocal backing today was immense, take a bow people.

Just got back in from the game and can't help but feel a little relieved but also frustrated from what was another split display.

Here's my own assessment on performance, feel free to add your own.

Kirkland - Couldn't be blamed for either goal but made a point blank save at 2-0 (just before we scored) which kept us in the game as we couldn't get to grips with with the quick Derby passing.

Buxton - Still looks a bit ring-rusty but it will have done him good to get 90 minutes under his belt. Didn't get forward enough which show's he's still not match fit but held up well under pressure in the second half.

Reda - Until his last gasp equaliser he'd not had the best of games. We had an attacking throw with 5 mins to go and he fouled it up. Then he had the ball on the halfway line in acres of space and just gave it straight to a Derby player.

Llera - Did well against the smaller and quicker Ward but needs to work on his communication with Gardner if this is a pairing that is going to work in the long run. To concede 2 goals from crosses is worrying.

Gardner - Looked composed and assured at the back and dominated in the air. Still concerned about the overall communication at the back and he should be the leader back there.

Antonio - A quiet first half but really offered pace and power in the second as we began to get on top of the game. Such a powerful athlete and can't see him having too many games where he doesn't have an impact at some point.

JJ - I often berate him but think today he had an excellent game. No Derby player could really get near him and he was still full of running at the end of the game. Derby have a highly rated RB in Brayford but JJ tore him to pieces time and again.

Semedo - Gave his all as usual for the cause and provided much needed cover in the first half when Derby were on top of the game. Stuck to his duties as if his life depended on it.

McCabe - Kept a close eye on him all game because I was interested to see what he was all about and he really impressed me. Puts his foot in, gets around the pitch, picks a nice pass and for a small lad he hangs in the air like a salmon. What a great addition.

Pecnik - Welcome to The Championship Necj. He'll settle in time (all being well) but was totally muscled out of the game today and was rightly substituted to bring on Madine.

O'Grady - Worked his ass off today and got us back into the game with a great finish. It's a good indication that he may be able to cut it at this level. Got more into the game with the introduction of Madine second half.

Madine - Glad when he came on because we were crying out for some support for O'Grady and he started to put the Derby back 2 under a lot more pressure than they had been used to. Unfortunate to see his goal ruled off for offside - not much in it.

Beevers - Wasn't put under too much pressure because we were putting Derby under the cosh to get the equaliser. Depending on the length of the Gardner injury, we may be seeing a bit more of him pretty soon.

Bit disappointed in how we conceded our goals (even though I thought our guy was pushed for their 2nd). Gardner and Llera are good individual defenders but need to gel as a pairing and Buxton and Reda aren't vocally commanding either. The two Derby CBs were what I'd call proper defenders and just won pretty much everything today and in the first half we threw it forward in the air too frequently. We totally dominated the second half and could really have gone on to win it. Once Derby went to one up front I was hoping for DJ to maybe bring on Maguire and push on when we were on top. A point away from home is a great start - especially after having gone 2 down. Let's now move onto the next game with optimism. I'm sure that DJ will have learnt a lot about a few individuals today.

One of the best posts ive read on here!!

Seems like everyone that went was really impressed by young McCabe.

Weird that Mark Smith and Giddings didn't seem that impressed.

What caught the eye of those of you who went today?*

*From McCabe.

If I'm honest I think Mark Smith was too busy gushing over his pal Jamie Ward to even notice anyone else. I usually like Mark Smith but He was getting on my nerves a bit today. His love affair was nearly as bad as Neils obsession with Owen Morrison lol.

By the way our fans were amazing, even in the first half when we were losing I couldn't hear the Derby fans. In the second half there were times when I thought it was our home game. Massive well done to everyone who went. I can't wait for Tuesday night :)

Seems like everyone that went was really impressed by young McCabe.

Weird that Mark Smith and Giddings didn't seem that impressed.

What caught the eye of those of you who went today?*

*From McCabe.

If I'm honest I think Mark Smith was too busy gushing over his pal Jamie Ward to even notice anyone else. I usually like Mark Smith but He was getting on my nerves a bit today. His love affair was nearly as bad as Neils obsession with Owen Morrison lol.

By the way our fans were amazing, even in the first half when we were losing I couldn't hear the Derby fans. In the second half there were times when I thought it was our home game. Massive well done to everyone who went. I can't wait for Tuesday night :)

Cheers.

Interesting points and we obviously have quite a bit to work on.

I think most clubs still have a few bits to work on SiJ so don't think we have too much to worry about until about 5 games in when we 'should' be at full strength.

Why was he 'gushing' over that little pr1ck, did anyone see the little turd when Derby went 2 up?

Edited by TaxiMark

Why was he 'gushing' over that little pr1ck, did anyone see the little turd when Derby went 2 up?

Everything Ward did was fantastic apparently, he only had to run 10 yards and it was the finest 10 yards anyone had ever ran ( I may be exaggerating a bit ) but it really was winding me up lol

Antonios first touch was awful all game. ALso, did anyone see that ball boy timewasting in the corner near the end, Im against child violence, but that little b4st4rd nearly got lynched.

Yeah I noticed the timewasting from the ball boys/girls. I'm sure I saw about 8 being introduced before the game but they all seemed to disappear after Derby went 2-0 up whenever the ball went out of play. Bring back capital punishment for such offences!

I know you're not the biggest JJ fan so he really must have had an excellent 2nd half today.

Yes to say he said he would never be a footballer while he had a hole in his arse was a bit of a turnaround to say the least , nothing new there though from wolfy .

Agree with the op but Antonio was poor compared to usual.

It was his worst performance by a mile in a Wednesday shirt. Seemed very lacklustre.

JJ on the other hand put in a great performance after he started to involve teammates instead of running up blind alleys.

Gardner has a lot to live up to, give me Batth any day of the week.

Batth wasn't the player he was at the end of his spell with us when we first brought him in. How about giving him some time?

It was his worst performance by a mile in a Wednesday shirt. Seemed very lacklustre.

Take it you weren't at Colchester away last season?!

JJ on the other hand put in a great performance after he started to involve teammates instead of running up blind alleys.

Slightly harsh, yes he was quieter then normal and so were others IN THE FIRST HALF but he contributed much more in the second, his pace and physical presence caused Derby problems.

Guest JC Saviour

We gave them far too much respect in the first half.I thought most of the team were very poor but then suddenly at the start of the second half, realised they hadn't got anything to fear from Derby. The only player who was a big disappointnent was Pecnic. having said that, he was played out of is preferred position which I assume is out wide, but, didn't compete that well in the air considering he's quite tall.

The young lad McCabe had an exceptional debut considering the lack of competitive matches and the issues over the wrangling over his registration. Couldn't have helped. Both Buxton and Reda came into it more the second half and linked up well with both Antonio/JJ. OGrady worked tirelessly and what a strike.

I'm still not totally convinced with Gardner. Yes he his big and strong and puts his foot in, but, don't know if it is what some people have suggested his communication qualities which are letting him down, only time will tell.

I'd have took a draw before kick off, a game of contrasting halves, but that's Wednesday!!

On a final note, it was probably one of JJ's best game in the blue and white. I think their right back as now 2 arsesholes.

Guest Bald Owl

First half aside we looked like a top team, composed on the ball and cutting, more please Mr Jones without that first half nonsense!

Guest Sheff Owl

Does anyone know what happened with Tango?

Was one of our fans having a go at him?

It seemed to be kicking off down at the front.