Assessments from those that were there...

Guest Woz1867

Lewis Buxton was not up to it IMO. I thought McCabe looked really accomplished.

JJ, well what can I say? He tore their fullback apart on more than one occasion.

COG looked good and really fired up, he has impressed me over the last two games.

The worst person on the pitch. THE REFEREE. Shocking.

Does anyone know what happened with Tango?

Was one of our fans having a go at him?

It seemed to be kicking off down at the front.

It was just after the Derby fans were chanting at/about him so would imagine it was with one of those guys.

We gave them far too much respect in the first half.I thought most of the team were very poor but then suddenly at the start of the second half, realised they hadn't got anything to fear from Derby. The only player who was a big disappointnent was Pecnic. having said that, he was played out of is preferred position which I assume is out wide, but, didn't compete that well in the air considering he's quite tall.

The young lad McCabe had an exceptional debut considering the lack of competitive matches and the issues over the wrangling over his registration. Couldn't have helped. Both Buxton and Reda came into it more the second half and linked up well with both Antonio/JJ. OGrady worked tirelessly and what a strike.

I'm still not totally convinced with Gardner. Yes he his big and strong and puts his foot in, but, don't know if it is what some people have suggested his communication qualities which are letting him down, only time will tell.

I'd have took a draw before kick off, a game of contrasting halves, but that's Wednesday!!

On a final note, it was probably one of JJ's best game in the blue and white. I think their right back as now 2 arsesholes.

Re: Pecnic, I thought he enjoyed being second striker? I'm not sure he's got the pace or ability to run with the ball to be a winger, he needs to be in areas of the pitch where his first touch can bring others into play.

Guest Sheff Owl

It was just after the Derby fans were chanting at/about him so would imagine it was with one of those guys.

I don't think it was a Derby fan because he went right up to Tango, no steward stopped him, when he started having a go the stewards went in..

Obviously i wasn't down there so couldn't see probably..

1st half we were nervous,stood off too much and gave them too much respect (as well as time and space!). i said at half time that we needed to step up a gear,get in their faces and get madine on for pecnic (as we were effectively playing with 10 men). lo and behold just look how it turned around ... did they get out of their half in the 2nd half?

mccabe was brilliant 2nd half when playing further forward rather than sitting at semedo's side.he/we started to believe after o'gradys' goal of the season ... nothing to fear on this showing (although derby are average in the extreme)

It was his worst performance by a mile in a Wednesday shirt. Seemed very lacklustre.

JJ on the other hand put in a great performance after he started to involve teammates instead of running up blind alleys.

Antonio does seem to go off the radar a bit in some away games and sometimes panics and gives the ball away. I'm thinking back to Colchester and Brentford.

But with him being so young hopefully he'll grow out of it. I used to put it down to the tighter pitches at some League one clubs but Pride Park has a nice bit pitch for him to use.

Okay so I may have been a little favourable with my assessment on Gardner. He looks assured and composed and think he stands out because of his dominance in height. I didn't keep my eye on him for much of the game as I wanted to watch some of the other players more closely i.e. McCabe, Pecnik and Antonio. We really shouldn't be struggling to defend crosses, corners and free kicks the way we were with the height we have in our team. Surely that comes down to leadership?!

Antonios first touch was awful all game. ALso, did anyone see that ball boy timewasting in the corner near the end, Im against child violence, but that little b4st4rd nearly got lynched.

The Derby fan sat on the front row, constantly trying to take the wee wee by imitating us getting excited as we had chance after chance, was very annoying. Glad we pissed him off with a last minute goal. Karma.

Guest bigblue

The OP is spot on for me, with the exception of not criticising Antonio enough. His first touch was abysmal, decision making poor and simply not at the races all game. Not what we have come to expect from such an obviously talented young man. He looked like a drunken characature of himself. Very odd!

Anyway, my ratings...

Kirkland 7

Buxton 6

Gardner 6

Llera 7

Reda 5

Antonio 4

Semedo 7

McCabe 8

JJ 7

Pecnick 5

O'Grady 7

Contrary to some comments I thought Buxton & Gardner were nervy in the first half but OK, and good in the second. Reda was a liability all game. Well until he became our best asset of course! All at sea would be an apt description for Reda today unfortunately. Not his at his best at all.

McCabe was a little anonymous in the first half. Some neat touches and safe passes, but not getting stuck in and part of the reason that Derby bossed the midfield. What a transformation though, he was superb in the second half, and the reason that they had to go with 3 in midfield in the end!

Guest bigblue

I've given JJ a 7 (where others have raved about him), because of two things...

1) very ineffective and wasteful in the first half

2) bags of pace and skillful dribbling may have caused the Derby defence problems in

the second half, but it didn't really because they all ended with the ball in the stands. We might as well've just let Reda do that in the first place!

Don't get me wrong, it was an exciting performance. I just find him frustrating.

Guest bigblue

Some reyt bad scores for Pecnik

Some of you don't recognise subtlety in a footballer

It's an assessment of today rather than of him as a footballer. He obviously has the tekkers n skills n ting. He just wasn't effective today. Bullied a but if anything.

Guest foreverSWFC

Pecnik was non-existent.

Think he has quality, but he will have to put himself about a bit more on Tuesday, if he starts.

Guest badger the owl

I'm a bit worried about how we are starting games like when derby took a short corner and we didn't even react .

Pecnik seems like he's not up to the pace of english football.

Although chris o'grady puts every effort into all his games he can't play one touch football.

We don't seem to get enough men in the box.

And i think derby will be a weak championship side.

I thought the ref let them time waste from the first minute of the second half.

But with time to gel i think we will be fine, but we need to take the game to our opponents a bit more.