4-2-3-1

Could we have accidentally stumbled on a winning formula tonight?

I thought our problems in the 1st half were:

1. That we were too open with only Semedo doing any work to help the defence

2. Our wingers were nullified as they were starting too far back as part of a bank of 4 in midfield.

With the enforced changes could we have accidentally stumbled on a winning formula? When we brought on an extra midfielder we had more control of possession and our wingers pushed on a received the ball higher up (e.g. Antonio's goal) where they can do damage.

Also Cogba's battling performance created space for our creative trio - JJ, Pecnic, Antonio - to work in.

If Madine/Maguire are gonna be out could this be a formula that works on Saturday? Semedo & Coke (I'd actually be very happy with Semedo & Prutton or Anado) sitting then the three creative attackers doing the damage with COGba doing their donkey work & hopefully popping up with a couple more?

That's modern football!

Guest Milan Mandaric - God

our wingers pushed on a received the ball higher up (e.g. Antonio's goal)

That was an absolutely quality goal! Was it Gardner who played the ball through? And the finish was perfect.

Derby is certainly a bit of a thinker for Jones now... The only definite starters are Kirkland, Gardner, Semedo, Antonio and maybe Llera for me. Pecnik can only be played in the hole or as a striker after that surely. Got a feeling JJ may be left on bench.

Prediction (not necessarily the team I'd pick):

...............................Kirkland

Buxton..........Gardner.......Llera.......Mattock

.....................Semedo.......Coke

Antonio..........................................M. Jones

......................Pecnik

...................................Madine

Edited by robswfc

hadn't seen this thread. was talking about something similar in an unrelated thread. could only dedicate half my attention to it tonight. but thought along same lines as you.

still think dj will be a 4-4-2 man, and been told this was still pretty much how we were playing, but i hope the players and options we've got, give him food for though.

like your OP's - always interesting.

Guest bigblue

I think we'll have 3 new signings this week...

Buxton..........Gardner.......Llera.......Reda

.....................Semedo.......NEW

Antonio.............................................NEW

...................................NEW

Guest Hudders Owl87

Oh please.

Read the other posts.

Madine - lazy, not good enough for Championship.

COG - not good enough.

Kirkland - ok IF fit.

We are DOOMED

We won!

Who cares!!

We're not doomed!!! We're a working progress!!!

First competitive game of season we were bound to be rusty. Oldham wanted the upset, they nearly got it too. But we proved that we have 'stickability' (if there's such a word!) and good teams always come back. Dead and buried to comfortable winners. A great togetherness and a good rollicking did the trick! Not that often we come from 2-0 down! Remember the last? We only drew. I think we're on to something with this lot! Yeah fair enough it was Oldham but we got to start somewhere.

UTO FTB WAWAW TCIO

Guest Milan Mandaric - God

Team I'd start at Derby:

--------------Kirkland-----------------------

Buxton---Llera---Gardner---Mattock----

-----------Semedo-----Coke---------------

Antonio--------Pecnik-----------JJ---------

----------------O'Grady----------------------

Pecnik and COG's link up play was class vs Oldham.

Madine/Maguire didn't look at the races so could come off the bench if it isn't working vs. Derby.

Possibly play McCabe with Semedo if he can play.

Edited by Milan Mandaric - God

Derby is certainly a bit of a thinker for Jones now... The only definite starters are Kirkland, Gardner, Semedo, Antonio and maybe Llera for me. Pecnik can only be played in the hole or as a striker after that surely. Got a feeling JJ may be left on bench.

Prediction (not necessarily the team I'd pick):

Buxton..........Gardner.......Llera.......Mattock

.....................Semedo.......Coke

Antonio..........................................M. Jones

...................................Madine

After tonights performance, COG deserves a chance and the backline needs looking at, possibly with only Llera surviving.

I thought the 4 2 31 worked spectactularly well and in that system Pecjnick was a revelation playing not only in the hole behind O'Grady but making runs down the sides as well, which is different to the player that plays off the striker who constantly drifts deeper and deeper into his own midfield. As the OP mentions the system also allows Antonio and JJ to play higher up the pitch and it worked far better with MA left and JJ right.

Lastly fair play to Chris O'Grady, not always my favourite but he was a beast last night, the ball stuck with him, he brought others into play and took his goals well.

Me likeee!

Several of my recent posts have been along theses lines. Take your pick from the below to play in the attacking "3"

Antonio, J Johnson, Maguire, Pecjic, Lines, M Jones

We have options for this formation and its a modern way of playing, the attacking 3 can drop deeper if we are being over ran in midfield.

Like many, would love to see this formation - would suit Pecnik, Antonio and JJ down to the ground allowing them to mainly attack.

Also flexible as well as can easily change to 4-5-1, 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 without making any subs. Unsure if DJ will go for it though