Owls to go up again! Love what Antonio has to say!

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY: Owls to go up again!

Published: 13 August 2012

Dream: We have the players to win back-to-back promotions, says Michail Antonio. Picture: pa wire

0 comments

By Paul Thompson Sheffield Wednesday

MICHAIL Antonio has begun the final countdown to the new season by insisting that Sheffield Wednesday are capable of earning a second successive promotion.

First up is tonight’s Capital One Cup tie at Oldham but the Championship campaign which begins at Derby on Saturday is central to the club’s ambitions.

Antonio, who played a key part in promotion from League One, believes that the Owls will have the players who could take them into the Premier League.

“The aim is to get promotion, and if we don’t get it then to make sure we stay in this league,” the £700,000-plus winger told The Star.

“You never want to look back; you always want to look forward: we all have the dream of getting back-to-back promotions.

“I think we have the players to do it and we have made some quality signings.”

Antonio, who was landed after a summer-long chase by the Owls, admitted that he always wanted to return to Hillsborough after his success on loan last season but there was a time when he doubted whether his move from Reading would go through.

“I loved every single minute when I was here last season.

“But it took over two months for the deal to get done and I was starting to think it wasn’t going to happen, when the clubs didn’t manage to come to an agreement when we were both in Portugal.

“I always wanted to come back. As soon as I got back into training I knew I was a Wednesdayite.

“Fans tweeted me non-stop from May 5 telling me to come back, right until the day I signed.

“The only way I can repay their faith in me is by playing games and playing well.

“I don’t even know if I’m going to play yet. I have to try to get a place.

“Nothing at all is guaranteed in football. If you don’t perform, you don’t get given anything. You have to earn it yourself.”

Boss Dave Jones has given no clues about his starting line-up at Oldham but says: “Whatever team I put out, it will be one that I honestly believe will win.

“That will be the same for every game while I’m here.”

More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print

Comments must adhere to our house rules.

Login

Guest Askham89

I love the lads ambition just what we need! I've been a Wednesday fan all my life and I've never been so excited for a season to start after the bad decade we have all had to put up with onwards and upwards uto

I love the lads ambition just what we need! I've been a Wednesday fan all my life and I've never been so excited for a season to start after the bad decade we have all had to put up with onwards and upwards uto

THIS

i havent been this excitied since the days of di canio and carbone. I'm literally ready to wet myself im that excited for this season UTO! :biggrin:

Is it me or does that sound like he's not putting out a first choice 11 tonight?

I'm glad he's said that. I don't think its worth risking the team that will play at Derby. Look at Barnsley, they had the keeper sent off, and a player stretchered off.

As much as I'd quite enjoy a cup run, I'd sacrifice tonight in exchange for three points on Saturday

So the aim is to either get promoted or not get relegated, that's good to know.

Dont think we'll be in danger of relegation, but promotion might be a bit of a stretch this season, nice to finally see some real ambition coming out of Hillsborough though, long may that continue