Our transfer dealings

i don't think we had any intention of paying market value for marshall, or have any intention for antonio. If we had the deal would be done.This strung out process allows the blame to be put upon the 'greedy' selling club. i don't want us to waste money but if we had paid out for marshall, antonio say 1m each and 300k for lefondre we would have at least a top 6 team. That's a 2.3m outlay less than hull paid for one player. Jones worked miracles in financial terms at cardiff, but had more young up and coming saleable players. This division will be highly competitive and at the moment we don't look like we are even trying to compete. We all don't want to revisit the bad old profligate days, but if we want to get promoted sooner rather than later we will have to spend some money on fees. This all points to a season of mid-table consolidation and disposal in summer for a decent profit. Milan says what the fans want to hear but doesn't back it up. I hope i'm wrong but we'll see. Cue abuse.

i don't think we had any intention of paying market value for marshall, or have any intention for antonio. If we had the deal would be done.This strung out process allows the blame to be put upon the 'greedy' selling club. i don't want us to waste money but if we had paid out for marshall, antonio say 1m each and 300k for lefondre we would have at least a top 6 team. That's a 2.3m outlay less than hull paid for one player. Jones worked miracles in financial terms at cardiff, but had more young up and coming saleable players. This division will be highly competitive and at the moment we don't look like we are even trying to compete. We all don't want to revisit the bad old profligate days, but if we want to get promoted sooner rather than later we will have to spend some money on fees. This all points to a season of mid-table consolidation and disposal in summer for a decent profit. Milan says what the fans want to hear but doesn't back it up. I hope i'm wrong but we'll see. Cue abuse.

You hear conflicting reports about Marshall - the bid was placed / the bid wasn't placed. Either way, a £1m would have been a lot to pay for one player for a L1 team who weren't sure which division they'd be in next season. And a Champ move for him was probs always on cards. So issues academic.

Le Fondre actually denied on a Twitter Q&A that we'd ever bid for him. Who knows? I think we probably did. If so, not getting him could be down to us or it could have been down to Toytown and their chairman just being bells.

Antonio, again, who knows. Hardball on both dies most likely - see who blinks first.

No abuse, mate, as think all you say is fair but considering everything, isn't a season where we're aiming to consolidate in Champ a good thing? I just compare the squad to recent times and think, how far we've come! Two England capped players at back (2 caps between, but still), four good full-backs, a foreign free-kick taking CB, Semedo, a hot prospect from Scotland chose to join us and two promising strikers in M and M.

Surely, things are all good.

Sad to see Lowe and Jones go, but that's football, they did a job and we have to progress. Overall, no complaints so far, besides the activity still has some way to go before the final squad is arrived at.

Firstly I'm absolutely gutted Lowe has gone. True professional. Genuine nice guy. Very clever player.

But how come we only heard about MK Donkeys after him yesterday and he's had medical and gone today. Undisclosed fee as usual, prob next to nowt.

Rob Jones linked to Donny for few days, yet again hes gone. Unreal.

Yet we've been after Antonio since may n still flippingabout. Norris rumoured for weeks n weeks n that fooked up as well.

Gardner dragged on n on.

I know the odd new signing has been sprung on us fairly quick. ie.. Kirkland and Mattock, even though apparently we was talking to mattock for a while before hand.

Can't help but think we give players away too easy n get shafted when trying to bring them in.

There are really only two questions to be answered:

1. Do Dave Jones and MIlan have a history of success in their football careers?

2. Which professional team have you managed, and how successful were you?

Leave it to people who know what they're doing.

Owlstalk have stalled the Antonio deal = fact ;-)

...well probably not but one look on here, twitter and the "sign him up" pre season game and its bound to have made Reading determined to squeeze a better deal for themselves knowing how much our fans want him here

You hear conflicting reports about Marshall - the bid was placed / the bid wasn't placed. Either way, a £1m would have been a lot to pay for one player for a L1 team who weren't sure which division they'd be in next season. And a Champ move for him was probs always on cards. So issues academic.

Le Fondre actually denied on a Twitter Q&A that we'd ever bid for him. Who knows? I think we probably did. If so, not getting him could be down to us or it could have been down to Toytown and their chairman just being bells.

Antonio, again, who knows. Hardball on both dies most likely - see who blinks first.

No abuse, mate, as think all you say is fair but considering everything, isn't a season where we're aiming to consolidate in Champ a good thing? I just compare the squad to recent times and think, how far we've come! Two England capped players at back (2 caps between, but still), four good full-backs, a foreign free-kick taking CB, Semedo, a hot prospect from Scotland chose to join us and two promising strikers in M and M.

Surely, things are all good.

they are juror - i'm being greedy

i don't think we had any intention of paying market value for marshall, or have any intention for antonio. If we had the deal would be done.This strung out process allows the blame to be put upon the 'greedy' selling club. i don't want us to waste money but if we had paid out for marshall, antonio say 1m each and 300k for lefondre we would have at least a top 6 team. That's a 2.3m outlay less than hull paid for one player. Jones worked miracles in financial terms at cardiff, but had more young up and coming saleable players. This division will be highly competitive and at the moment we don't look like we are even trying to compete. We all don't want to revisit the bad old profligate days, but if we want to get promoted sooner rather than later we will have to spend some money on fees. This all points to a season of mid-table c

onsolidation and disposal in summer for a decent profit. Milan says what the fans want to hear but doesn't back it up. I hope i'm wrong but we'll see. Cue abuse.No abuse from me i think you are spot on

With people like u about we wouldn't have a fans discussion forum...trot off!

Edited by ozzieowl

the players we're getting rid of have little or no sell on value and were brought into the club as a quick fix. the players we want may have some sell on value and the ones we've got early have baggage, so it makes sense some will take longer to sign/sell than others. we have a lot of work to do but are working on the jigsaw. it seems to me we are getting the easy pieces done first and then will work on the rest. players like dan jones, bennett, coke, prutten are harder to shift as are players we're looking at signing.

we're also stepping up in ambition so the selling club are looking to get the best deal from a number of clubs rather than trying to rob us blind...aka cog, lowe, jones

I think its important to realise where we are in terms of recruitment. As far as strengthening the side goes, well we've hardly started. The dealings we've completed so far have all been about strengthening the squad, with perhaps only a couple guaranteed to start. Thats not to say that all those signed aren't a vital part of the first team squad and as such, would be able to come in and do a job. We are still awaiting 5-6 players, 5 of which are likely to be first team starters, a centre back, a midfield man, 2 wingers and a striker. As has been said on here, and by Milan himself, those are the ones who will cost the money and consequently the trickiest to negotiate. I'm happy enough with our dealings so far, but its difficult to give a judgement when the work is incomplete. At this stage I would say, in some areas, the depth of the squad is much stronger but, in terms of the actual starting eleven, we are weaker than the side that finished the season. Still work in progress.

Milan said in an interview that the next stage was the expensive part.

Still waiting.

When all is taken into consideration wages etc it prob is expensive - BUT taking this next step is going to be a lot more expensive, unless we create a team spirit ethic like last season. The Leicester fans said MM tried to go always go the cheap route and it does seem at this moment we are haggling over relatively small fees (if we intend to go for it this season)

But TBF I cant make a judgement on the signings so far until I've seen them play a few games, we might already have a capable squad -but the actions haven't matched the words Yet!

We are still awaiting 5-6 players, 5 of which are likely to be first team starters, a centre back, a midfield man, 2 wingers and a striker. As has been said on here, and by Milan himself, those are the ones who will cost the money and consequently the trickiest to negotiate. .

of those five, how many will cost a fee?

of those five how many will be steady players?

i think we will pay a transfer fee to excite you on one.

i think we will pay a wage that excites you on maybe 2 or 3.

i forget but i dont think pompy spent too much and loaned yak for the season with an option and got merson to get promoted.

Its not whether these next players cost a fee or not, I don't give a hoot about that. Hell I'd even be happy if all 5 were loanees.

The important thing is that they MASSIVEly improve the quality of our starting eleven. That is what Antonio, Batth, Ranger and Treacy did for us last season, they gave us the sort of quality that elevated us from a good side to a very good side. Thats what I'm hoping for, not whether we pay a fee for someone or not

As has been said on here, and by Milan himself, those are the ones who will cost the money and consequently the trickiest to negotiate.

thats kinda what i was saying, merson must have been on a fat fat sum, yak must have been the same. so unless you know the wages how can you suggest these guys arent being spent money on because the are poo poo hot. we maybe well be spending money on wages rather than fees and the four you listed....

treacy....big drink problem given from burnely fans

ranger... :_P

batth...i cant be sure but i dont think cost a lot in wages

Antonio...you know. theres a high chance we can get him on loan for the season anyway, with an option........

these four wont have cost much, so how can you say the next four wont?

It actually doesn't matter whether they do or they don't. Better players usually do, but hey, if we can find a way of obtaining the extra quality without spending the cash, all the better. As you say, the four we signed last season may not have cost what we think

I don't have much idea what to make of our signings just yet. Most of them are largely unknown quantities. We have hardly spent a bean and if two or three of these players lives up to their billing it could turn out to be outstanding business overall. But it will be several weeks at the very least before we can start making any meaningful judgements.

Show us your badges!

We went thru the same process last summer, with players arriving upto the end of august... Megson was clearly getting very annoyed by it in his press conferences this time last year. And he has managed a number of clubs.

No one knows the details of the deal, so its impossible to 'blame' anyone. The only people who are losing out are Antonio and SWfc currently. Reading dont need to worry too much about their 3rd choice winger, so the onus is on us to either pay the money, or find another target. And currently were not doing either.

Edited by Mike Oxlong