Paul Jewell

Guest Owlsda

Guest Owlsda

Jewell: Championship Even Tougher Next Season

Mon 18th Jun 2012 09:39

Blues boss Paul Jewell says next year’s Championship could be even tougher than ever with the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton and Huddersfield winning promotion from League One. Town start their 2012/13 campaign on Saturday 18th August with a home game against Blackburn, a club which has moved in the opposite direction this summer.

Jewell told the club site: "It doesn't matter who you play on the first day of the season or the last in this division, you know it's going to be a hard game.

"There are plenty of big clubs in this division who will feel they have the stadium and facilities worthy of the Premier League and getting back to that level will be the aim.

"The Championship is one of the most competitive leagues in the game and I lost count how many times I said that anyone can beat anyone in this league last season.

"It will be just as tough next year, possibly even tougher. You've got Sheffield Wednesday coming up, who are a massive club. Huddersfield have shown their ambition and Charlton were playing in the Premier League not so long ago.

"They will all look to build on the momentum of last season and we have seen Norwich and Southampton benefit from that over the last two years. It's going to be a real battle, we know that, but it's one we're looking forward to taking on."

They all know it.

My theory on Jewell:

Good manager at clubs with low expectations - Bradford and Wigan - but seems to be found wanting when in charge of bigger clubs like Derby and Ipswich and of course massive clubs like Wednesday.

Probably other circumstances that affected his ability to do the job at Wednesday, but he was pretty poo pooe and did sign Ashley Westwood.

Guest Owlsda

Sounds to me as though he's bottling it already and there's still two whole months yet to go before kick off. Sure they know that we will be a force this season.

Thought he was a good manager who joined us at the worst possible time. Just about anyone that would have taken over would have struggled to do much with the squad we had and the circumstances we were in.

Agreed but also agree with the person further up about doing better with lower expectations. And yes he did sign Ashley Westwood - never lost a derby though

Will he get a good reception when he comes to Sheffield 6? If he's still in charge by then...

I don't think he will get a "good" reception.

But i hope he doesn't get "bad" reception.

Paul Jewell.......a bit of a "meh" manager for us.

I would imagine he won't get any kind of recognition at all.

Almost as if he never had anything to do with us. Like so many staff who have passed through S6 in the last decade and a half, made no positive impression.