Paul Jewell

Guest Owlsda

I really don't understand why Paul Jewell gets as much stick as he does.

We were near the bottom when he got sacked but it would have been the same whoever was our manager then.

During his time we had players like Jonk. Donnelly, O'Donnell, Hinchcliffe etc who should have been good players for that league but were rarely on the pitch and were always on the treatment table, and players like De Bilde who was fit but didn't give a sh!t about the club

Yes he signed players like Westwood but that was all he could afford and you've also got to bare in mind that Westwood was a regular in the Bradford team that Paul Jewell had got promoted to the premiership so I can see why Jewell maybe wanted to buy him but of course hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

The only fit players we had week in week out were players like Tony Crane, Di Piedi, Brombly, Geary, Morrison etc who did want to play for Wednesday but were not good enough or had not matured enough by that time to play

People may disagree but I think Paul Jewell gets way too much stick IMO I reckon if he had a fit squad and more suitable funds he would have done a decent job.

...wound Warnock up brilliantly...still like him cos of that tbh...got the young uns playing for him but too many to$$ers who REALLY didnt give a damn were determined to sit tight and collect their wages....we'll never know what he could have done had circumstances been different....a very depressing time but we did have his on field fueds with Sibon to keep us going!!!... thank God we eventually turned the corner.... all hail Mr Mandaric !!!!! :milan:

Edited by Prendo's boots

I really don't understand why Paul Jewell gets as much stick as he does.

We were near the bottom when he got sacked but it would have been the same whoever was our manager then.

During his time we had players like Jonk. Donnelly, O'Donnell, Hinchcliffe etc who should have been good players for that league but were rarely on the pitch and were always on the treatment table, and players like De Bilde who was fit but didn't give a sh!t about the club

Yes he signed players like Westwood but that was all he could afford and you've also got to bare in mind that Westwood was a regular in the Bradford team that Paul Jewell had got promoted to the premiership so I can see why Jewell maybe wanted to buy him but of course hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

The only fit players we had week in week out were players like Tony Crane, Di Piedi, Brombly, Geary, Morrison etc who did want to play for Wednesday but were not good enough or had not matured enough by that time to play

People may disagree but I think Paul Jewell gets way too much stick IMO I reckon if he had a fit squad and more suitable funds he would have done a decent job.

Absolutely spot on.

First post since my suicidal outburst other week, but as the Prozac now obviously kicking in I will add to this thread;

Jewell told me after playing against him in a charity game that sibon would effectively train alone, he told the board Owen Morrison was not worth he new contract he was given and, I quote, 'des walker is the biggest Cnut in football'. Apparently he would deliberately undermine training sessions and seek to challenge jewell in front of the other players

Edited by Ever the pessimist

We had the triumvirate of Jewell, Shreeves and Yorath at the club together which can't have been cheap. So when Jewell left, Shreeves came in and then Yorath, I was only in my teens then and didn't fully appreciate the situation we were in. But looking back they were like three lambs waiting to be slaughtered.

Jewell said in interviews that when there was a partition in the dressing room (wall has since been knocked down) the foreign lads sat one side and the brits the other. I also remember being at Prenton Park where we depressingly lost whilst wearing their away kit, sibon and crane formed a wall for a free kick and when crane went to link arms with him, Sibon pushed him away. Team spirit for you!

Jewell took charge of a debt ridden club, but let's not forget that he still had a bit of money to spend - and blew half a million quid on Ashley Westwood, Aaron Lescott and Steve Harkness.

This, I have nothing against the guy at all, he took us over in a very tricky situation, however he didn't stop the rot and if anything was out of his depth which I felt sorry for him, made some pretty questionable tactical decisions and to sign Ashley Westwood, Aaron Lescott, Steve Harkness and Ian Hendon for money is a hand in palm moment. He had potential and we would occasionally pull a great result out of the bag, I remember beating the champions tip Watford away 3-1 and a couple of league cup runs but he shouldn't of been offered the job in the first place, he wasn't near the bottom when he was sacked we were rock bottom!!

We had the triumvirate of Jewell, Shreeves and Yorath at the club together which can't have been cheap. So when Jewell left, Shreeves came in and then Yorath, I was only in my teens then and didn't fully appreciate the situation we were in. But looking back they were like three lambs waiting to be slaughtered.

Jewell said in interviews that when there was a partition in the dressing room (wall has since been knocked down) the foreign lads sat one side and the brits the other. I also remember being at Prenton Park where we depressingly lost whilst wearing their away kit, sibon and crane formed a wall for a free kick and when crane went to link arms with him, Sibon pushed him away. Team spirit for you!

That period of Jewell, Shreeves and Yorath was the worst in my time watching the Wednesday (since late 80s). It just seemed like watching a horrific car crash in slow motion. Far worse than watching Turner's side for me, when, in fact - at least at first - my hopes for a better future were rekindled. Not that that hope lasted that long, but just to have some hope, however fleeting, was a step forward from that bleak period preceding.

I suppose it was the hangover from that relegation from The Premiership, and the realization that it was going to be a long time before we'd be back there again.