Home kit changing from blue to red....

The question is - what's your limit? my limit is shirt colour, badge and knickname. What's yours, Cardiff Dragons?

I have no limit, but while im a huge advocate of retaining your heritage (another reason i was so against admin) im not daft enough to refuse to let go of certain things for the greater good. In Cardiffs case, i never call them the bluebirds anyway, its just Cardiff. and if they played in blue, red, pink of polka dot, it wouldnt affect my view of them as a club.

its crap that though, the two choices would not be on the table as either or.

Cardiff have potential for an investor without pooing all over the heritage of the club. Its not an either or option is it

Indeed, but the investors have found a potential way of marketing the club, which brings in some much needed funds and interest. you cant really argue with their point, as overly crap as it appears. and sadly for them, its a case of "you can get investment if...." and thats why they are in the position they are.

I wonder if Pompey fans would give a sh!t if next season they were playing in red but had some asian investors pumping money in and turning them around...

Guest Briscoe Inferno

This will encourage Venky's to change Blackburns kit to yellow shirts & shorts with orange socks.

Believe you me...

If we went bust then would we all be supporting united? cos like its the same city and the same sport and 50 per cent of the strip/name is the same.

so no fuss yeah?

Are you on your period or something, or do you enjoy going off on one? where on earth has anyone suggested we would all go watch the pigs if wednesday went under?

If youve run out of points to make, fairy muff.

fixed it. as you point out investment is not guaranteed. they are playing silly buggers nothing more.

Pompey example again fails ot deal with vagueness of "turning them around"

Chelsea aren't hated in Asia because they play in blue. They are loved because they are in the Prem and the Champs League. Nobody started to f around with their identity.

all fair and true points. Chelsea are much easier to market though, as are arsenal and the Manc clubs simply because of the exposure/champions league football etc.

Its no guarantee, you are right on that. But this is Cardiff City, not Man Utd they are trying to drum up revenue for, not the worlds easiest sell.

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

It's a farce and a disgrace. Not only if they do make it to the Prem, they won't be making it as Bluebirds but they'd be making it there in Bristol City red! They've become a Malaysian MK Dons and I fully support their fans who are against it. Plus if their owners were genuine and their clubs best intentions at heart, they would've invested and paid of Cardiff's debts before these plans were made public. I can sadly see a grim end to Cardiff City. Not only is their history disrespected and thrown away but once it goes wrong or their owners get bored, they'll be stuck with an even bigger debt than ever before. They've been taken for a ride just like how they were by Sam Hamman and Peter Ridsdale. I feel sorry for Cardiff's genuine life long fans. They're no longer Cardiff City 'the Bluebirds' RIP, they're a Malaysian MK Dons and how can a Malaysian team be allowed in the Premier League or Football League?

Guest Sniper1

If we went bust then would we all be supporting united? cos like its the same city and the same sport and 50 per cent of the strip/name is the same.

so no fuss yeah?

Completely different situation.

Cardiff could go bust without this investment, different shirt colour or no club?

they drum up revenue by making cardiff into a successful outfit on the field (like Chelsea) then the money will follow. But you have to remain the same club with the same identity to do so otherwise it becomes like the middle men of American professional sport. Franchise after franchise after franchise with no history, continuity, tradition. Just an exercise of financial musicle flexing followed by obvious financial meltdown

I havent seen the full scale of cardiffs accounts, nor have i seen the full list of money put forward from the owners and where their money has come from.

But getting Cardiff into the premier takes cash. if they are losing money at the rate thats been suggested, they need a lot of cash and quick. If they are to become a brand as well known as Chelsea etc, they need a hell of a lot more!!

Not condoning this at all by the way, nor am i saying its a good idea. just that i can understand the reasoning and that Cardiff fans dont really have anywhere to go with their argument.

Are you on your period or something, or do you enjoy going off on one? where on earth has anyone suggested we would all go watch the pigs if wednesday went under?

If youve run out of points to make, fairy muff.

because i dont like seeing what is happening - i think its an important subject and i dont sit comfortably with it. my point was how far would we allow owners to run with schemes such as this.

if we dont care about the colour of our side and the such then we may aswell not have an emotional tie or attachment to a particular club imo. identifying yourself with your club is the whole point and this is lost when owners start changing things. if youre happy to just have a club for the sake of supporting one then in my view you would be happy with almost anything incl mergers or whatever. its too close to the mk situation and what if this is only the start for cardiff?

if i lost my 'link' with wednesday id stop going and just become a neutral soccer saturday fan. changing the colour, crest, and nickname of my side would almost certainly be enough to prompt this i expect.

*shrugs*

i just think its a bit scary, especially as milan will one day look to move on.

It's a farce and a disgrace. Not only if they do make it to the Prem, they won't be making it as Bluebirds but they'd be making it there in Bristol City red! They've become a Malaysian MK Dons and I fully support their fans who are against it. Plus if their owners were genuine and their clubs best intentions at heart, they would've invested and paid of Cardiff's debts before these plans were made public. I can sadly see a grim end to Cardiff City. Not only is their history disrespected and thrown away but once it goes wrong or their owners get bored, they'll be stuck with an even bigger debt than ever before. They've been taken for a ride just like how they were by Sam Hamman and Peter Ridsdale. I feel sorry for Cardiff's genuine life long fans. They're no longer Cardiff City 'the Bluebirds' RIP, they're a Malaysian MK Dons and how can a Malaysian team be allowed in the Premier League or Football League?

^^^^

THIS!

At what point does it become a different club?

Is it like MK Dons, try to retain the heritage but move 50 miles or more away then gradually change things, or like Cardiff appear to be doing change everything but just play at the same ground?

I don't have a definitive answer, but I do know that is trampling all over the heritage of a club and their fans purely for the sake of money.

If it was a straight choice between changing our shirt to red or going out of business completely then I could cope with it. If they wanted us to change to any other colour than red it'd be easier to swallow.

I saw how close we came to ceasing to exist. That threat was very real regardless of what some would have you believe. Put that kind of fear up against a change of shirt and the shirt looks easy. Put it against a change of nickname and it's a tougher decision but one many would accept. Put it against both together and you might as well go all the way and totally rebrand.

As an aside, how would people feel about changing our name back to The Wednesday? Either for a one off 150th anniversary thing or do it then and leave it for good? Personally I'd not mind that either way.

The Wednesday is what our name should always have been. I for one would be all in favour of it and that does not need a major rebrand.

In fact mods could someone put a voting thread up on this?

I am sure their would be a MASSIVE vote in favour and it would be awesome if it could be done in time for our 150th anniversary.

Oh it's happening, the home shirts are expected in the club shop in a few months. 100 million is a lot of money, but they could lose more in the long run.

Absolutely this ^^^^^^

Part of me is hoping things go boobies up for Cardiff's investors as i fear it may set a precedent if succesful. Am very uncomfortable with it all, colour change, badge change etcetera.

Really feel for their supporters if i'm honest.

I think it is inevitable that in the future when the Chinese/ Asian investors are long gone, there will be a clamour and subsequent move back to blue and the Bluebirds will go home to roost.

You heard it here first!

UTO!

Scandalous. Wednesday is as much about the blua and white stripes as anything else, it would'nt be the same without them. I can remember late 60's changing to blue shirts with white sleeves and it was'nt the same as the stripes. To change to red would be taking my Wednesday away. Cardiff fans ought to go on strike.

Guest Stereophonics

Scary stuff. Sad thing is if it were to happen to us there is nothing at all that we could do about it.

Guest Triplej2

Football will eat itself.

Like someone said above, when the Asian money has gone and because they're bored or sick of propping the club up, Cardiff will come under the control of new owners who'll put things back the way they were, probably after administration and near total financial obliteration.

Guest Stereophonics

Not turning up to matches would be a small price to pay to try and get it changed back.

Honestly don't think that it would work. The next stage would then be to move the team somewehere where fans would turn up.