Homophobia in football

Because I've had friends beaten up and threatened by knuckle-dragging meat heeds simply because they were doing that which is within the law but happens to be between people of the same sex....and I don't get upset I get annoyed by bigotry and ignorance from people who's life is easy because they are heterosexual....and posts like Mr Vegers don't help....because couched behind that banter is the sort of bigotry and hatred he used to spout when he first came onto this site and started on with the rangers - celtic bolllocks...

why use a 1000 words when just a few will do?

its quite clear what you were insinuating

and it doesnt wash with me

I find it offensive that straight people feel the need to pontificate on how gay and lesbian people should express their sexuality

Why are so many of your posts on this subject evidently riven with rage? So much so that you are apparently claiming to know my mind better than I do. I'm not even sure what it is you are insinuating that I'm insinuating.

You could be gay, you could be female, you could be a homophobe. I really don't care and I'm certainly not trying to find out. The struggle I'm having is why you seem quite so irritated by almost everything in this subject. That, and no matter how many times the case is explained to you, you still feel this need to misrepresent the argument by claiming there is some sort of movement to have all gay footballers skipping daintily around the pitch in pink shorts.

The point is that fundamentally a person's gender preference in a partner should be as arbitrary as a preference for hair colour, age, etc. But it isn't, as has been stated and exhibited in this thread individuals are threatened, discriminated and denied certain rights for having the audacity to be attracted to someone of the same gender.

Having a player come out as gay wouldn't be part of furthering any leftist agenda or advertising sexuality. It'd be an integral part of normalising into wider society the idea of homosexuality where ultimately the first sentence of this post becomes a reality.

thats right mate, because its wrong and we are all just people just the same whether we be gays,straight,not sure,liars, prods,catholics,non religious(sensible),tall, small, fat, thin, black, white, orange(grandad) etc, lifes too short, I have a confused friend who bats for the other side, he's a great mate and a laugh, Its all banter thats all, he's the worst one for it calling people mincers etc...

i have little flashbacks now and again and relise I dont like celtic and their fans not because they are catholics and plastic paddies, no, because they are vile and scum, nothing more, nothing less, just the same as united fans.....

...banter? It's just hatred couched in 'lad speak'. And the old...'I've got a mate' bollockss... but you carry on digging that hole deeper.

surely there must come a point when you even bore yourself to sleep?

But at least I usually do so safe in the knowledge that I've taken the time to understand the argument rather than getting so myopic and stroppy that much of it has escaped me and I've insecurely resorted to accusations and insults.

My mate told me he was boozing in the New Barrack after the Wycombe game, he was poofaced about 10pm so headed to Mcd's and walked past the Peugot garage and saw 1 old boy getting spit roasted in the car park.

Lucky bugger! Which Peugeot garage? Which carpark? Was it 10pm on the dot?

Agree with Oxonowl, it's all about being able to live as openly gay as other footballers can heterosexually. All without any negative effects on their wellbeing and future prospects.

I said what I think when I thought it. I didn't know you were supposed to wait for a thread to be a certain age before posting.

I'll explain the pious thing for you. If I were pious I would be decrying homosexuality as a sin per the edict of my religion (given that the vast majority of religions do not accept homosexuality) and not speaking out for the rights of homosexuals to be open about their sexuality. You calling me pious is therefore totally ridiculous and might suggest you didn't know what it meant.

Anyway if I implied or accused anyone who has posted in this thread of being a homophobe, if they are not, I apologise.

If you think my fuse was too short, you are entitled to that opinion and I apologise for upsetting you.

...and no, don't get me started on religion... :ghoulguy: :ghoulguy: :ghoulguy:

You neither upset nor offended me - after all its just an exchange of words on a screen bereft of vocal inflections, facial expression or body language.

I was just stating an opinion - i actually agree with most of what you say but i repeat that i thought you were taking the wrong stance with those indulging in "banter" - take people to task for that by all means but i thought you were wrongly mistaking that clumsy "humour" with geuine hatred of homosexuality.

Anyway i think this little exchange has run its course for me now tbh - i don't really wanna get bogged down in literal meanings and/or hypocrisy associated with those meanings - especially in a case where we are pretty much in agreement.

I respect your position and reiterate we're very similar in our genuine thoughts on the matter.

I do think they are vile and are scum,that's my opinion,they do think they are Irish,scottish aint good enough for them, which In my book makes them plastic paddies, why's that offensive? you dont see It all luckily for you, I do daily through certain other media and forums, believe me there's a hell of a lot more hatred coming towards my blue persuasion than goes the other way, you think what you want anyway, i do have a bi mate, dont really care whether you believe me or not,

...I lived in Scotland for 7 years and witnessed it both ways, with both sets of fans having just as many ignorant thugs...I was also threatened by and almost beaten up by 'Rangers' fans who didn't like me asking them to stop shouting and swearing and jumping around pisssed as farts on a train from edinburgh full of families and kids, but for all the 'Loyalist' poo didn't like the sound of my accent. That was all just 'banter'

And my family are half irish-catholics, from Newcastle, as are many of those who support Celtic but live in Scotland. It's called having a pride and knowledge about where your family originate from. I'm sure there are 'Plastic' people but seriously if that instills in you a hatred and loathing and the feeling that they are scum, doesn't that simply indicate a lack of understanding about their 'banter'? See...your argument just becomes contradictory..

And now your friend appears to have become bi-sexual ...first he 'bats for the other side' now he seems to even more 'confused'...

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

I am. Speaking from a gay's point of view on the subject, the reason why there are no openly gay players is for two main reasons; 1) because there are still a large number of fans who fall into the 'laddish' culture that surrounds so much of football and are openly hostile towards gays. People who would never scream '******' at a player but would have no problem dishing out 'blobster' at a player, people who would abuse players incesantly (look at Le Saux, he wasn't gay but had fancy hair, the Spurs chats at Sol Campbell were just as bad) and 2) The players themselves. The only man out of all 92 clubs in the league willing to go on camera and talk about gays in football for a recent BBC3 show was non other than Darren Purse. Again, the 'laddish' culture has filtered through it seems.

Strange that rugby, a sport more associated with being 'a man' is far more in touch with homosexuals in their sport. I personally know more than 10 openly gay players who play in the 'normal' leagues and not a single player cares about it.

To those who claim that there would be more of the lefties adding more rules to chuck suppoosed fans out, banter is fine, abuse is not. Shouting 'you bloody fairy' at a player going down like Drogba with balsa legs is fine, shouting 'rumbleing blobster' because he's gay, is not.

2 cents over

Excellent post, mate.

UTO

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

It's a fine line between a footballer attempting to set a good example against the fact that what he gets up to in his spare time has nothing to do with his club, the press and the fans.

Why should a player come out?

Because they want and are able to without fear of abuse or reprisal.