Homophobia in football

I think this "coming out" expression is confusing the issue. A number of posts seem to think it is a burning desire to put an ad in the Times declaring their sexuality.

"Coming out" is to stop hiding an important part of your life and being able to do things that heterosexuals and "out" gays take for granted. Like going out for a meal with one's partner, holding hands, kissing.

If it were the norm for gay footballers to be "out" the general public would know about some and not about others. The fact that people are talking about this shows that they don't feel they can be open. Presumably because of the possible abuse and discrimination they may face.

So the reason they "need" to "come out" is so they can live a life like most of us take for granted.

I wonder if anyone on owlstalk is gay? I dont know of anyone......... Bet there super cute tho :-)

I am. Speaking from a gay's point of view on the subject, the reason why there are no openly gay players is for two main reasons; 1) because there are still a large number of fans who fall into the 'laddish' culture that surrounds so much of football and are openly hostile towards gays. People who would never scream '******' at a player but would have no problem dishing out 'blobster' at a player, people who would abuse players incesantly (look at Le Saux, he wasn't gay but had fancy hair, the Spurs chats at Sol Campbell were just as bad) and 2) The players themselves. The only man out of all 92 clubs in the league willing to go on camera and talk about gays in football for a recent BBC3 show was non other than Darren Purse. Again, the 'laddish' culture has filtered through it seems.

Strange that rugby, a sport more associated with being 'a man' is far more in touch with homosexuals in their sport. I personally know more than 10 openly gay players who play in the 'normal' leagues and not a single player cares about it.

To those who claim that there would be more of the lefties adding more rules to chuck suppoosed fans out, banter is fine, abuse is not. Shouting 'you bloody fairy' at a player going down like Drogba with balsa legs is fine, shouting 'rumbleing blobster' because he's gay, is not.

2 cents over

Guest Sniper1

Sex is 80% in your head.

eg

1. Imagine Michelle Keegan turning around to you parting her bum cheeks and saying "put it in my ass".

2. Now imagine Her fella out of wanted saying the same.

What do you go with option 1 or option 2?

Its simples.

Dramatic difference between the two, so a bum is certainly not just a bum.

Guest Sniper1

I am. Speaking from a gay's point of view on the subject, the reason why there are no openly gay players is for two main reasons; 1) because there are still a large number of fans who fall into the 'laddish' culture that surrounds so much of football and are openly hostile towards gays. People who would never scream '******' at a player but would have no problem dishing out 'blobster' at a player, people who would abuse players incesantly (look at Le Saux, he wasn't gay but had fancy hair, the Spurs chats at Sol Campbell were just as bad) and 2) The players themselves. The only man out of all 92 clubs in the league willing to go on camera and talk about gays in football for a recent BBC3 show was non other than Darren Purse. Again, the 'laddish' culture has filtered through it seems.

Strange that rugby, a sport more associated with being 'a man' is far more in touch with homosexuals in their sport. I personally know more than 10 openly gay players who play in the 'normal' leagues and not a single player cares about it.

To those who claim that there would be more of the lefties adding more rules to chuck suppoosed fans out, banter is fine, abuse is not. Shouting 'you bloody fairy' at a player going down like Drogba with balsa legs is fine, shouting 'rumbleing blobster' because he's gay, is not.

2 cents over

Are you gay?

If so why?

Sex is 80% in your head.

eg

1. Imagine Michelle Keegan turning around to you parting her bum cheeks and saying "put it in my ass".

2. Now imagine Her fella out of wanted saying the same.

What do you go with option 1 or option 2?

Its simples.

Dramatic difference between the two, so a bum is certainly not just a bum.

I'd much rather the bloke from Wanted than Kevin Keegan.

Funny he's got a mention like.......

you are completely imagining it

you couldnt be further from the truth if you tried

and I completely resent the inference you are making

I dont go with the bullshít though that there must be 100's of gay footballers

and I certainly dont go with the few that are gay should come out about it

you cant take an example from a cross section of society and then impose it as a statistical rule on one group of people

There was no inference. Your posts just seemed unreasonably irritable. And it's interesting that you chose to use the word 'resent' when referring to this.

No one has claimed there are hundreds of gay footballers. In the top four divisions it's probably not more than a few dozen. Whilst you're probably correct that there is a reduced percentage of homosexuals in football when compared to other spheres of life, I find the forcefulness with which you make that point strangely and unnecessarily angry. Is it a problem for you?

And although the point has been made numerous times you are still coming at this from your own direction, to the exclusion of the main debating point. It is not about a footballer donning his leather shorts and handlebar moustache, singing 'I am, what I am'. It is simply about being able to do normal things without feeling the need to hide or lie about it.

Guest Sniper1

Why do you ask?

You obviously have strong feelings on this matter, just wondering why?

I am happily married by the way.

Sorry no need for that.

Does wanting our society to be a place of less hatred and vindictiveness so that any person can openly demonstrate affection for another no matter what there gender is count as 'pontificating'?

Guest Sniper1

Come on gents, its getting a bit deep is this.

Within the law people should be allowed to do whatever or whoever they want.

Why get upset about it.

Guest Harry the Owl

My first post was a bit of a joke..but if Antonio 'came out' would anyone actually give a sh!t? I wouldn't because he's a flipping great player.

You obviously have strong feelings on this matter, just wondering why?

I am happily married by the way.

Sorry no need for that.

I don't need to be gay to have strong feelings on this matter. You don't need to be directly affected by something to have a strong opinion on the the rights and wrongs.

It is irrelevant if I am gay. As it happens, I am not, but my boyfriend is.

Oops, no need for that. :st2: