Homophobia in football

..why should a player have to hide his sexuality?

This isn't about sexuality but the notion of literally 'coming out'.

Is it a press release? A paragraph in the matchday programme?

What if the player has a drink after the game in the players lounge and introduces his boyfriend?

Is that coming out or not hiding his sexuality.

why should a player have to announce it?

most pro players will tell you they know several gay footballers

they dont feel they have to wear their sexuality as a badge though

At odds with the actual professional footballer Darren Purse's opinion, with nobody else actually willing to have an opinion at all.

Maybe he should change his name to Darren Wallet or something.

This isn't about sexuality but the notion of literally 'coming out'.

Is it a press release? A paragraph in the matchday programme?

What if the player has a drink after the game in the players lounge and introduces his boyfriend?

Is that coming out or not hiding his sexuality.

...and there we have the problem...semantics. But the reality is whatever it is called, the open affection shown between two men, if it were a footballer, would be pounced on by press and media as being 'coming out' and it being reduced to that will open up the possibility of hatred and abuse. And the fear of that 'exposure' is why some people hide their sexuality. Continuous 'banter' becomes incessant bullying.

And Deirdre, I understand what you're saying but I think in certain circumstances there are people who find it far more difficult to 'just get on with it' .....* excellent phrase bye the bye lol..*

Edited by Freshfish

why should a player have to announce it?

most pro players will tell you they know several gay footballers

they dont feel they have to wear their sexuality as a badge though

Maybe it's not the player's reactions they're concerned about? I suspect you're right that many players do know colleagues that are gay and aren't bothered about it. It would be interesting to see how the press and supporters would deal with it though. And I guess that's where the biggest problem would be.

one of my very best freinds is a lesbian

I go out with her and her partner every weekend, they kiss and hold hands like us straight couples do

no one gives a flip

she doesnt feel the need to announce she is a lesbian, just the same as I dont need to announce I am straight

No, because the opposition to it in general is far less than it was, whereas I don't think that exists within football.

The plural of ancedote is not fact, and all that.

seriously I give up

loads of straight people wanting gays to announce they are gay

while all the gays just get on with enjoying some wee wee tail

If that's actually what you take from 'Because they want and are able to without fear of abuse or reprisal' as the thing being said then you haven't understood.

Obtuseness is SO zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

...and there we have the problem...semantics. But the reality is whatever it is called, the open affection shown between two men, if it were a footballer, would be pounced on by press and media as being 'coming out' and it being reduced to that will open up the possibility of hatred and abuse. And the fear of that 'exposure' is why some people hide their sexuality. Continuous 'banter' becomes incessant bullying.

Which makes me wonder sometimes at the motivations gay people are influenced by when 'coming out'

Not all gay people are repressed individuals at odds with their sexuality constantly listening to Diana Ross's 'I'm Coming Out'.

Some are just private.

This isn't about announcing it and wanting to share it with the world, coming out can simply be just showing affection with their partner in public and not having to pretend they're something they're not. Just being able to do what normal couples do in public, footballers obviously feel they can't do this and so just have to hide, fair enough if they want to keep their lives private, it's up to them. But what if someone actually wants to come out but feels they can't because of the terraces.

When I was younger the word homophobia did not exist, it was certainly not a word people bandied around, in 30 years time some of you younger ones may have to put up with such things as strange as piggyphobia or bluntist because this is how things are being dealt with in the 21st century ....... beware of what you wish for I say. The compensation culture has accelerated these things and insults of any kind may become a no-no in the future ...... imagine not being able to chant 'dirty red and white so & so's' because it has become unacceptable, internet forums and media in general is under the scrutiny of those who wish to tell us what is and is not acceptable ....... just a thought !

I'm not condoning fascism, violence or bullying but having reached my early 50s I see much hype and exaggeration that now surrounds all things 'ism' and 'phobic' and find it a bit weird !

This isn't about announcing it and wanting to share it with the world, coming out can simply be just showing affection with their partner in public and not having to pretend they're something they're not. Just being able to do what normal couples do in public, footballers obviously feel they can't do this and so just have to hide, fair enough if they want to keep their lives private, it's up to them. But what if someone actually wants to come out but feels they can't because of the terraces.

That doesn't happen. I know this because I know an actual real gay person and they're fine. They're not a footballer or anything, so it's not a relevant point in any way, but it's still apparently a crushing point.

Which makes me wonder sometimes at the motivations gay people are influenced by when 'coming out'

Not all gay people are repressed individuals at odds with their sexuality constantly listening to Diana Ross's 'I'm Coming Out'.

Some are just private.

...and many are forced into privacy through fear...this isn't about being demonstrative it's about the fear of being targeted if they make any show of affection. We can carry on going round in circles...but the fact is, being open about your sexuality, even with just holding hands, leaves footballers/lawyers/teachers/binmen..(..aye I know..)/bus drivers open to threats and abuse couched in the comfort of it being just 'banter'

Edited by Freshfish

...and many are forced into privacy through fear...this isn't about being demonstrative it's about the fear of being targeted if they make any show of affection. We can carry on going round in circles...but the fact is, being open about your sexuality, even with just holding hands, leaves footballers/lawyers/teachers/binmen..(..aye I know..)/bus drivers open to threats and abuse couched in the comfort of it being just 'banter'

This is what I mean

so you're a straight being offended on behalf of gay people? (who ironically dont give a shít)

I rest my case

I'm not being offended on behalf of anybody, because I'm not offended. Somewhere a straw man is devastated by your argument, but you haven't answered mine. In fact you've ignored every single point I've made.

As I said before, obtuseness (and that might be generous) is so very zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

haha ha ha ha

we have a winner

http://www.urbandict...o-intellectuals

So, you've moved on from anecdotal evidence to... urban dictionary? That's your idea of a devastating parting shot, is it?

If that's your impression of reading the thread, that the whole point of what I've said is to prove some intellectual superiority over you, then I am genuinely baffled by your powers of inference.